Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-22, 06:15 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Though I really enjoy listening to thoughts about what has been studied, I often feel the same way!
I think we can overthink these things. I think nutrition is important, and I do pay some attention to it, working on different habits as needed for my own health and goals. But then, day to day, I’m with you, I can’t get into regularly counting macros or calories; I just don’t want to live that way.

And some of these people or schools of thinking are also criticized for reading too much into very small studies or studies only done in animals. Like if you listen to some of these people (not only mentioned in this thread) they are not even elderly yet are taking dozens of supplements to “optimize” some metabolic pathway or other. That’s a whole other level of intensity, and there isn’t any research to show it results in healthier people than someone who is generally conscientious about good nutrition, healthy weight, doesn’t smoke, gets decent amount of sleep and regular exercise. Those of us who are doing those things are already a tiny percentage of the population, and that is 99% of good health. But that is easy to forget when we hear about 0.8 vs 1.2 kg of protein or the latest molecule that will improve glucose metabolism.

I also wanted to say I’m looking forward to checking out some of the other links.
So true!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 07:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I can't believe that Alta got me to read a thread geared to "seniors"...

Okay, so at 54, I'm not quite considering myself a senior yet, but I'm finding the info here to be helpful. I recently did Cee's beginners rotation, but it left me feeling more doughy rather than muscular!

I would like to get more protein in, but I really do NOT want to track nutrition - I hate it and it just makes me hyper-conscious of what I am eating and otherwise miserable.

However, I would love tips for getting more protein in during the day, especially for easy breakfasts and lunches - and particularly for bringing lunch to work. I eat a lot of yogurt, peanut butter, and nuts, but after that I am kind of out of ideas.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 08:44 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

However, I would love tips for getting more protein in during the day, especially for easy breakfasts and lunches - and particularly for bringing lunch to work. I eat a lot of yogurt, peanut butter, and nuts, but after that I am kind of out of ideas.
I frequently bring canned tuna (I may be a weirdo who likes it straight from the can, but you can do other things with tuna as well ) and string cheese for my lunches. I eat mostly the same thing every day - tuna or pepperoni/beef stick, string cheese, fruit (usually blackberries) and Dilly Bites Hot Pickles, lol! Tuna definitely packs a lot of protein per serving.

For breakfast (I only eat breakfast on weekends - I'm not a morning person so I prioritize sleeping as late as possible over having breakfast!) I usually have (2)Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage patties and either greek yogurt or cottage cheese and some fruit. I'm all about quick and easy protein sources during the day and then for dinner I'll have something that has to be cooked (usually steak or salmon).
Old 08-11-22, 08:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, thank you for the ideas! I keep reminding myself that I should eat tuna more often - I even buy the single serve packs at times. Speaking of weird, I don't like cheese - although during a previous period that I was trying to get in more protein, I did do strong cheese for awhile. I do eat a good amount of beans, too; I just have to start prepping things like beans and rice more ahead of time.

I don't get up earlier for breakfast! If it's a work day, I'll usually just have Greek yogurt or a Larabar-type bar, which are just nuts and dried fruit.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'd love to see more!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-11-22, 09:00 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Stephanie, thank you for the ideas! I keep reminding myself that I should eat tuna more often - I even buy the single serve packs at times. Speaking of weird, I don't like cheese - although during a previous period that I was trying to get in more protein, I did do strong cheese for awhile. I do eat a good amount of beans, too; I just have to start prepping things like beans and rice more ahead of time.

I don't get up earlier for breakfast! If it's a work day, I'll usually just have Greek yogurt or a Larabar-type bar, which are just nuts and dried fruit.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'd love to see more!
My lunch break at work is also pretty late in the work day, and I find that when I eat in the morning, I actually get hungry way earlier, lol! So when I don't eat breakfast, I can hold out longer for lunch without feeling too hungry.

I also don't like most traditional "breakfast foods" and can't eat eggs (which I hate because I love eggs but have developed an intolerance to them ) so even when I do eat breakfast, it's probably not what most people think of as a real breakfast. But I only have to feed myself (and the cats, of course ) so I just eat what I like, which is a lot of plain, grab-and-go type of stuff!
Old 08-12-22, 09:39 AM  
Hsim

Tofu, chickpeas and lentils are all good protein sources. I have been trying to incorporate more plant based items into my diet in order to reduce my cholesterol. Last year my cholesterol was 238, this year it is 203.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 10:35 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
Tofu, chickpeas and lentils are all good protein sources. I have been trying to incorporate more plant based items into my diet in order to reduce my cholesterol. Last year my cholesterol was 238, this year it is 203.
I eat chickpeas too! Also a lot of flax and other seeds.

I do worry that adding more protein would just mean adding more calories than my body needs. How do some of you get around this, especially if you're having protein shakes?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-12-22, 11:34 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
I eat chickpeas too! Also a lot of flax and other seeds.

I do worry that adding more protein would just mean adding more calories than my body needs. How do some of you get around this, especially if you're having protein shakes?
I am wondering, too. I am perimenopausal and for sure building muscle over the past couple of years, but sometimes not sure how much is muscle and how much isn’t. I eat primarily plant based. I probably would have to do some amount of portion measuring for a while if I wanted to fool with macros without gaining more weight. Most protein sources aren’t just protein, whether animal or plant, they come packaged with some amount of fat, so that has to be part of the equation.

I have found I can’t successfully do liquid calories at this stage of life, even protein shakes. For a while, I added some plant protein powder into my oatmeal, a half scoop instead of a whole. I didn’t notice any difference in my workouts, and decided I didn’t love the idea of eating anything that processed. But, if I were to add some back in, that is how I’d do it, adding small amounts into sauces or a grain. I liked the vanilla flavor in oats, but you can buy plain hemp protein or pea protein that presumably doesn’t have much of a taste. Small amounts of tofu or ground chicken can be added into lots of things without really tasting it.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 03:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
I think you probably need to adjust complex carbs down (tough for vegetarians!), but just today, Mark Hyman's weekly email (sort of) addresses this:

Lean muscle mass is vital for staying healthy and mobile as we age and it also plays an important role in keeping our metabolism revved up, so we can burn fat and create energy. This study found that people who ate higher amounts of protein also chose healthier foods in general and ate less sugar and refined grains. It found that the higher protein group was able to better maintain their lean muscle mass. I recommend all my patients pay attention to their protein intake, especially the senior population as this is a time people often eat less protein but need more.

The study that led to this conclusion is here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...Pr9k%3D.HKMsXE
Old 08-12-22, 04:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

As a former protein shake addict , I now wonder about the bio availability of protein shakes. Now that I've broken my habit, I find them hard to digest and just wonder if the body is able to absorb/assimilate.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
building muscle, creatine, muscle building, muscle mass, nutrition, protein, senior muscle