Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-05-22, 10:32 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, after work, I did get this in:

Jessica Valent - Pilates Tabata - it wasn't that bad. There were a lot of planks. But basically she did a Tabata protocol of 4 minutes - 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off - so there was a good amount of repetition - we did some variation of planks, bridging, and ab work for 4 minutes using that protocol. She did 4 min of leg work but it was more traditional Pilates side lying legwork. It wasn't bad and she did show variations of the exercises. It wasn't my favorite but it wasn't awful.

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 4 - this was just a 7 min unweighted arm series.

Today, so far was:

Essentrics - Live from 7/22 - w/ Alexa. This one focused on the hips and quads and was filmed on a beach. It was for cyclists, but anyone could benefit. it was 45 min long which is on the longer side for my attention span, but I did enjoy it. I, for some reason, thought that this recent series of Live workouts was part of a challenge and would be kept available - but that isn't the case, they are being deleted after the 14th day of airing. I'm going to try to finish up as many as I can before they are deleted. Some of them are an hour long...so I may just do parts of them.

I plan to get LWR's August Walk & Tone workout in later today - and maybe Jessica Valent's stretch - but I may save that for tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a nice Friday!!

Pam - you inspired me - I'm looking to taking some classes for "fun" My new job is way less intense than my last job - I am busy but I am so used to being overwhelmed that this seems easy. And, my second job, as a mom/chauffeur has been also greatly reduced since my DD is 19 and pretty independent. Anyway, that is what prompted me to think about taking some classes for fun - there is an art studio that offers classes and the community college...I am thinking about taking one on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 03:12 PM  
Leonana

I am taking my dd to Costco today, so I guess I will get some walking in. This evening we are going to friends for barbecue and swimming. They moved back from Payson to another over 55 park. I guess they missed the amenities of a big city, although they liked the cooler summer weather. They did not like the winter cold though!

Donna, I am doing better. Rash is almost gone. Still low on energy, but it's two weeks today. I'm glad your new job is less stressful. A class sounds like fun. I am planning on starting Tai Chi again with the city, as the over 50 classes are being held again.

Pam, I hope the new bed works out for you. I get a lower back ache from our mattress, and have to stretch and foam roll frequently. That seems to help.
Old 08-06-22, 08:43 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did get in one of Lucy Wyndham Read's walks.

Today, so far:

Charlene Prickett - Get the Fat Off - Cross Trainer - Step workout. This was a good one - slightly more complex than some of the workouts I have done recently w/ Jenny Ford. But still basic step.

Jessica Valent - Hip Flexor Stretch and Pilates for Every Body - both of these were good, basic workouts.

Sherry - Hope you had a good Costco trip! It does take awhile to get over Shingles. That is good about your T'ai Chi class.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!!

Donna
Old 08-07-22, 08:00 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Where did the weekend go?

Today, I did, spread throughout the day:

Ellen - Yoga Pump & Yoga Mat Work - I enjoyed both of these and together they are a nice routine. I wish Yoga Pump were a little longer - it would have made a nice 30 min routine - but I suppose you can always add on or "re-wind" and do it twice or mix it w/ Barre Cardio - actually that sounds like a nice combo!

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 6 - which was body weight lower body and pretty tough for me for a short 10 min workout. It was one min per exercise - all straightforward stuff,all body weight.

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 7 - this was a 15 min walk/tone.

LWR's make nice pick me ups.....

My back is talkin' to me and it hasn't for awhile. I have a suspicion it may actually be --- and this is going to sound crazy but - Pilates. I have been doing more of the spinal articulation movements and I think that is messing with me. I think I will need to go back to modifying those moves and also leaving out a lot of "crunch" type movement. that is my working theory. It could also be that I did spend a good part of the day yesterday de-cluttering and today I was on my feet doing cleaning/cooking. But last week was a Pilates heavy week and since my back has been good lately, i went ahead and incorporated a lot of exercises that I had been skipping or just modifying. Maybe it is too much too soon or maybe those things just don't work for me. Something to think about..

Wow, I am rambling for a Sunday.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Donna
Old 08-08-22, 08:34 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today, so far, has been:

Essentrics Live- From 7/26 w/ Amanda - this was for lower body.

Later today I plan to get in Jessica V's leg routine - it is short - and I skip the pistol squats () so probably at lunch I'll do that and maybe a walk after work.

I think it is the spinal articulation and crunching in Pilates that is not great for me. I think I need to keep the range shorter and cut down on the reps. There are some parts of Pilates that work for me and some that don't! It can also be that I aggravated something w/ my cleaning projects. Either way I'm just going to be mindful about those movements in Pilates.

I enjoyed my CS Essentrics today!

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Donna
Old 08-09-22, 08:39 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on at lunch and after work:

Jessica Valent's - Power Leg (or whatever it is called!) 15 min of body weight exercises, including pistol squats which I skipped.

Lucy's Walk in Venice - part 1 - this is a nice little "walk" to do - nice scenery, not too hard, good for just getting some movement in.

Today, so far, has been:

Body Kind Fitness - Do this Every Morning to Lose Weight - this was a 40 min cardio routine - 15 sec of walking/jogging followed by 45 seconds of a cardio/cardio-tone move. I enjoyed it. It is one of those music only videos that is popular on You Tube right now. The time went by quickly, it wasn't too hard or too easy and I got 4300 steps - I pulled out my step counter this morning for laughs.

Waves, everyone - 95 today.....

Donna
Old 08-09-22, 10:02 AM  
Leonana

Today I vacuumed most of the house, which is good for me! I'm having more energy, so relieved about that. I am taking B12 and D3, and I think that's helping too. I had botox yesterday for my grinding, but won't know for about two weeks if it helps. But I'm doing so much better, and have less mouth pain. I'm finding that doing things to relieve my stress and anxiety have been the most helpful, especially getting out more and connecting with people. I think I have some actual pain from grinding, but psychological issues made it much worse. Everything feeds into chronic pain, it seems.

I hope to start exercising regularly after Friday, which will be three weeks after coming down with shingles. I tend to over do it, so don't want to do that again!

I have an interview tomorrow for tutoring at risk kids in reading. It's only one day a week for two hours, although you can do up to three days. If I get it, I thought it could be a gradual way for me to work up to a part time job. Having some more income will relieve a lot of my stress too.

Donna, I thought about taking Pilates through our local Park and Rec. But now you've made me re-think it! I think I will stick with Tai Chi.
Old 08-09-22, 01:01 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Margaret Richard (Sculpture) 1995

Hi Ladies,

I started the week with MR Sculpture Upper Body workout. She kills you with kindness in this 50 minute workout. Miss the outdoor setting, so will do another (Triple Threat) on Thursday. No time yesterday, with class and house cleaning.

Donna, sorry your back/spine has been bothering you.

Sherry, glad you're feeling a bit better, too...and keeping active.

Too hot today to do much, so staying indoors!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-22, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did add on:

LWR - an 8 min standing core
Essentrics Live - w/ Gail from 7/27

Today, so far:

Essentrics Live w/ Meg from 7/28 - just the standing and barre - may squeeze floor in later. I really like Meg as an instructor.

I plan to do something else later- maybe Jessica's weight workout - or not (it doesn't look fun!) and maybe a LWR walk....

we shall see!

Pam - Nice job w/ MR! I really should pull her stuff out. I was thinking of doing a CS/Essentrics-MR-Leslie rotation - or an "oldies" rotation - maybe in September.......

Sherry - glad you are feeling better. That sounds like a nice volunteer opportunity. T'ai Chi sounds great, a lot of CS/Essentrics seems to be similar and it really helps my aches and pains and improves my mobility. Pilates - I think can be hit or miss - it is supposedly so good for whatever ails you but I do find that some exercises bother me - it is a matter of picking what works in the method and skipping the stuff that doesn't.

My back is feeling a lot better - I'm not sure if it was the Pilates or decluttering, I haven't done either one in a few days. I'm going to try a Pilates workout again at some point, but I'm going to be more careful w/ range of motion and reps.

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Donna
Old 08-10-22, 12:38 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Ana Caban Pilates Body Band Challenge (2005)

Hi Ladies,

Back in the day, I did a lot of pilates and was consistent with it. So with the pilates talk (and Donna's regular dose of pilates) I pulled out a few oldies. Ana Caban was a staple, as were Stott and Winsor...among others. Today I wanted to use a band workout, so began with Ana. There may have been an earlier release on VHS, but I acquired the DVD and got rid of 99 percent of my VHS tapes. There is also a 20 minute bonus workout here, but I only did the the main 30 minute one. She says this is "intermediate" and it felt very beginner to me...minus the teaser towards the end.

This one was okay, but not great. I much prefer Ana's matwork to this one. It is very slow moving. It's 30 minutes in length, filmed outdoors and Ana is good. I just felt a bit uncoordinated and clumsy with the band. She also only did about 5 reps of each exercise, so was very gentle...but I didn't feel like I got a good workout. So, I added on....

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tablet