Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-04-22, 08:32 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Dana - Another football fan here. I grew up going to University of Oklahoma football games with my parents and of course, watching the Dallas Cowboys on TV. Those were the glory days! It's been a long time since they were very good

Carol
Carol, the last time my Bears won the Super Bowl was on Jan 26 1986. I watched every game that season and it was a thrill of a lifetime and one that I would love to experience just once more before I die. However, the way they've been playing for the past several years, I may not live long enough to see them win again. Virginia McCaskey who is the Bears owner is 99 years old and I bet she's hoping for the same thing. Sadly, I think I have a better chance of seeing the Bears win the Game, than she does. I'm following Rams and Chargers this season. I didn't quite give up on the Bears, but I don't hold much hope either.
Old 08-05-22, 10:24 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Ok - I am in the minority here, I don't think I have ever sat through an enitre football game! I don't know the rules, or anything! LOL! I "tailgated" a few times and went to a super bowl party or two as a student, but that was more for the drinking, honestly! My DH isn't much of a sports watcher either. So we are totally out of the loop!

I do enjoy going to a minor league baseball game every so often - but even then the game doesn't hold my attention.

Anyway...on to the workouts...

Yesterday, I did get this in:

Jessica Valent - Pilates Tabata - it wasn't that bad. There were a lot of planks. But basically she did a Tabata protocol of 4 minutes - 20 seconds on, 30 seconds off - so there was a good amount of repetition - we did some variation of planks, bridging, and ab work for 4 minutes using that protocol. She did 4 min of leg work but it was more traditional Pilates side lying legwork. It wasn't bad and she did show variations of the exercises. It wasn't my favorite but it wasn't awful.

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 4 - this was just a 7 min unweighted arm series.

Today, so far was:

Essentrics - Live from 7/22 - w/ Alexa. This one focused on the hips and quads and was filmed on a beach. It was for cyclists, but anyone could benefit. it was 45 min long which is on the longer side for my attention span, but I did enjoy it. I, for some reason, thought that this recent series of Live workouts was part of a challenge and would be kept available - but that isn't the case, they are being deleted after the 14 day of airing. I'm going to try to finish up as many as I can before they are deleted. Some of them are an hour long...so I may just do parts of them.

I plan to get LWR's August Walk & Tone workout in later today - and maybe Jessica Valent's stretch - but I may save that for tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a nice Friday!!

Carol - our public schools here are struggling to retain teachers, paraprofessionals and support staff....

Also, speaking of school. I'm looking to taking some classes for "fun" My new job is way less intense than my last job - I am busy but I am so used to being overwhelmed that this seems easy. And, my second job, as a mom/chauffeur has been also greatly reduced since my DD is 19 and pretty independent. Anyway, that is what prompted me to think about taking some classes for fun - there is an art studio that offers classes and the community college...I am thinking about taking one on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 07:23 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Pilates Tabata Workout - 20 minutes & Hip Flexor Stretch Routine - 10 minutes

My assessment of the Pilates Tabata Workout is similar to Donna's. Not as bad as I feared, but not my favorite either. If I had found it easy, I probably would have liked it better.

Donna - Oh my goodness, you wouldn't have lasted long in my family. Everyone loved football, including my grandmother. Our schools here are also having trouble hiring and keeping people - everyone from bus drivers to subs to teachers. We've had some of the same kinds of issues too. Our long time cafeteria manager retired and we couldn't find anyone who wanted her job. We offered it to two different people and they turned us down flat. So we had to outsource it, which does not break my heart. I will not have to mess with it. Your literature class sounds fun!

Dana - I think I remember when the Bears won it all. I always liked Chicago - Mike Ditka, Jim McMahon, Walter Payton, what's not to like?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 08:07 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

CS S11E1 - Total Body - 23min.
PBL Love Your Legs Amplified Total Tone - 27min
PBL Classic Core - 16min

Great combo this morning. Miranda was at her chattiest in this episode but it got me nicely loosened up before I did PBL.

Lisa's Love Your Legs workout called for 1lb ankle weights, but knowing how tough Lisa's workouts can be, I opted not to use them. Probably a wise decision on my part. Classic Core workout was just that, classic moves such as hundreds, cork screw, rolling like a ball, scissors etc. Very good and not too many reps of anything. Amazing how doing PBL for less than a week made me feel more pulled in and slimmer. I may just have to bite the bullet and subscribe for 2-3 months. I suppose, at $25/month, the cost of Lisa's membership is not more expensive that some other ones out there like JV's (which was not for me) and Trifecta Pilates.

It's already hot and humid outside. We were going to go for a walk by the river this morning but with humidy already at 97%, I think we'll skip it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 08-06-22, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did get in one of Lucy Wyndham Read's walks.

Today, so far:

Charlene Prickett - Get the Fat Off - Cross Trainer - Step workout. This was a good one - slightly more complex than some of the workouts I have done recently w/ Jenny Ford. But still basic step.

Jessica Valent - Hip Flexor Stretch and Pilates for Every Body - both of these were good, basic workouts.

Carol - glad you got through the Tabata!

Dana - Most of the streaming subscriptions have gotten expensive - it is worth it if you use it though!

Hope everyone has a good day. Not sure what we're going to do - it is one of those dreary summer days w/ clouds and high humidity.

Take care,

Donna
Old 08-06-22, 04:15 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

30 min walk/read

The streaming services seem really expensive to me, but that’s probably because the cost makes me remember the DVDs I have sitting, staring at me… but if someone uses the service, it would be totally worth it.

Remember my tennis elbow that took a year to heal? Both arms are fine now, except…. my left arm has a new sore spot. [insert rolling eyes emoji here] Sigh. It’s near the “funny bone”, right where the tendon attaches to the bone. Why??? I’m frustrated and once again can’t lift weights as much as I want. I’ve been feeling really discouraged about exercise lately. But such is life! I remember dealing with a knee injury and I just did a lot of floor work. So I need to keep my legs moving and remember that this, too, will pass.

Along those lines, does anyone wear a smart watch? I’m considering getting an Apple watch to pair with my Iphone to track my steps and such. I wonder if that would help motivate me.

Waves! Have a great weekend, everyone!

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 05:26 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda in WA View Post
[B]

Along those lines, does anyone wear a smart watch? I’m considering getting an Apple watch to pair with my Iphone to track my steps and such. I wonder if that would help motivate me.
Hi Brenda, I have Apple Watch 4 - one of their older models and have had it for the past few years. I didn't really think I needed it (I wore Fitbits before) but once I got it - on a whim, I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's not really just a smart watch, but a mini-computer and I can do pretty much everything on it without having my iPhone on me. Text, answer calls, check my emails, etc. Yes, it motivates me to keep up with my fitness and I just love it! It's so much more than just counting steps. I'm a techie though, and I love any useful new technology. Apple is releasing new AW8 next month, I think. I thought about replacing my AW4 but from all I've read about the new AW8 so far, I don't think we'll be seeing anything new and spectacular in it, other than new design, perhaps new workouts, body temp sensor etc. I think I'll wait until next year or maybe even a year after to replace the one I have. As long as Apple still supports AW4, I'll keep it because it has all the features I need. The only thing I wish, is that it had a longer lasting battery. You do have to recharge it every day but that's never been a problem for me. Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-06-22, 07:39 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was simply a

Walk - 35 minutes

first thing this morning before it got hot. Tomorrow I'll do one of Jessica's mat pilates routines.

Dana - So glad you are enjoying Lisa again. Gosh her stuff is so tough!

Brenda - I have just a plain old FitBit and I don't know how I ever did without it. I love being able to see my texts and calls on it, assuming I'm close enough to my phone, and of course it counts my steps. I may have to break down and get an Apple Watch. It sounds really useful.

Carol
Old 08-07-22, 07:55 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was:

Jessica Valant Pilates - Pilates for Every Body - 25 minutes

A basic pilates mat class with a fair number of suggested modifications.

I do feel better when I make time for pilates - I just do.

New teacher orientation starts tomorrow. How can it be that time again???

Carol
Old 08-07-22, 07:56 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Where did the weekend go?

Today, I did, spread throughout the day:

Ellen - Yoga Pump & Yoga Mat Work - I enjoyed both of these and together they are a nice routine. I wish Yoga Pump were a little longer - it would have made a nice 30 min routine - but I suppose you can always add on or "re-wind" and do it twice or mix it w/ Barre Cardio - actually that sounds like a nice combo!

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 6 - which was body weight lower body and pretty tough for me for a short 10 min workout. It was one min per exercise - all straightforward stuff,all body weight.

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 7 - this was a 15 min walk/tone.

LWR's make nice pick me ups.....

My back is talkin' to me and it hasn't for awhile. I have a suspicion it may actually be --- and this is going to sound crazy but - Pilates. I have been doing more of the spinal articulation movements and I think that is messing with me. I think I will need to go back to modifying those moves and also leaving out a lot of "crunch" type movement. that is my working theory. It could also be that I did spend a good part of the day yesterday de-cluttering and today I was on my feet doing cleaning/cooking. But last week was a Pilates heavy week and since my back has been good lately, i went ahead and incorporated a lot of exercises that I had been skipping or just modifying. Maybe it is too much too soon or maybe those things just don't work for me. Something to think about..

Wow, I am rambling for a Sunday.

On the step counter front, I just have a cheap one that i got from work. It stopped synching w/ the app that we use at work so I haven't used it in a good long time. I may drag it out of hiding though and see if it can help motivate me to move more during the day.

Hope everyone has a good night!

donna