Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-21, 04:50 PM  
loverly7

Streaming only (aka: I got rid of my final fitness DVD's)

I have been streaming exclusively for years now. I had whittled my fitness DVD collection down over the years, but still hadn't touched a single fitness DVD in years. I finally decided to donate the ones I had left. So over the weekend I donated those final few and now I am truly streaming only. I felt a little sad for a moment when I did it, but I have been streaming only for such a long time now and I honestly can't envision myself ever using a DVD workout again. Someone else can surely benefit from my donation and that would do more good than the workouts just sitting on a shelf. Just thought I would share...
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 04:56 PM  
anetta

Great. I am ready to do the same.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 05:17 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I wish I could do the same, but my internet is not always reliable and streaming during peak hours can be a problem for me. Even though I live in a major metro area, I don't have many other choices of internet providers so I'm stuck with the hated comcast. For that reason, I will not get rid of my dvds.
Old 06-09-21, 05:34 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I wish I could do the same, but my internet is not always reliable and streaming during peak hours can be a problem for me. Even though I live in a major metro area, I don't have many other choices of internet providers so I'm stuck with the hated comcast. For that reason, I will not get rid of my dvds.
Same. I did a YouTube workout today and had buffering issues. It usually clears up within a minute or two, so I just continue the move the instructor had been doing or march in place until it clears up. Luckily I don't have comcast. As soon as AT&T was available in the area, we switched.
Old 06-09-21, 05:36 PM  
kat999

Yeah, I can't make the full switch. I do have the FitFusion app and it works okay on even an older Roku, but my workout room is the room faaaarthest from my router, and the wifi signal in there can be spotty. If I ever move and have a better set-up, I might switch, but on the other hand I spent a lot of time getting my DVD collection together, so I'd hate to ditch it now. Maybe if the technology itself completely dies.
Old 06-09-21, 06:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverly7 View Post
I have been streaming exclusively for years now. I had whittled my fitness DVD collection down over the years, but still hadn't touched a single fitness DVD in years. I finally decided to donate the ones I had left. So over the weekend I donated those final few and now I am truly streaming only. I felt a little sad for a moment when I did it, but I have been streaming only for such a long time now and I honestly can't envision myself ever using a DVD workout again. Someone else can surely benefit from my donation and that would do more good than the workouts just sitting on a shelf. Just thought I would share...
Well good for you loverly!
Somewhere there's a vidiot like me who is going to be thrilled to shop what you donated. So thank you.

As crappy as my interwebs is, I can't imagine ever being able to only stream. Love my collection

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 07:18 PM  
muggle

I’m not sure if I’ll ever give up my beloved DVD’s. They’re like my children. I keep them safe, clean and pay attention to every one of them. I stream too but can’t imagine streaming exclusively. My fear is when my DVD player dies…..do they even manufacture them anymore? Scary thought!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 07:24 PM  
BigBadBetty

Good for you! I am a few steps behind you. I put all my DVD in a storage bin. If I don't go in that bin for the next year, I will donate. I generally stream or just do my own thing. Since the new year, I have done only 1 DVD workout. I don't even think of them really. But I just couldn't get rid of them. They upgraded our horrible rural internet to something stable about a year and half ago. (Which is great because we both have had to work from home since March 2020.)
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 07:40 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I stream or use downloads almost exclusively. I started doing that when I was traveling a lot, which I plan to resume next year. I have my iPad on a tripod which makes it easy to adjust the height & angle for standing or floor work, saves me kinking up my neck to look at the tv.

I purged a large portion of my DVD collection a while back. I SASEed a lot of them here & gave a box full to a local single mom. I still have a lot left and I should do another purge.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 10:11 PM  
rhbrand

The extra space must be nice.

Sadly I live next door to the middle of nowhere and my internet isn't that good.
Oh, I can on most days stream. One thing at a time. We have to even take our phones off wi-fi to stream. I forgot while streaming Loki today and got the loading ring for a little bit.

Those of you with great internet, pray for those of us with crappy internet.

Tags
backup dvds, copy dvds, dvd software for laptop, dvds versus streaming, ripping dvds, streaming vs dvds