Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-11, 06:11 PM  
flamingoo

Man am I glad I posted here. That's why I love all you guys You've opened my eyes up to many things. My family and safety are defiantly not worth risking. I'll have to think of a plan B. Maybe I'll even think about just circling my street, although I think that would get pretty boring after a while.
I'm going to have to get creative this fall. Thanks again.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 06:52 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I'm with, Kyra. Varying your route as much as possible is a good idea. Also, carry some type of protection, and if you have a dog, walk him/her with you. They'll think you are the greatest person in the world.
Same thought here, vary your walk as much as possible, including not walking every day.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 04:37 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am an very early riser, I work out between 4 and 5 am just about every morning. Please keep safe! It is not worth it, if something bad were to happen If you can, workout inside, or in a neighborhood where there is a lot of light and activity, and you will be safe.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 06:13 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
So I'm going to be starting walking/jogging very early in the morning soI'm sure to fit in my cardio. I live in a fairly safe community, but even the safest communities have their incidents. Which path would you choose. I can walk where there is less traffic, more homes ie: familes, but less street lights and pretty dark. Or I can choose to walk on a busier street ( 4:00 a.m. it won't be that busy) , more street lights, but more apartment/town homes and some are a little sketchy. See my dilemma? I've never walked in the pitch black and want to pick the safest way. Thanks guys
My choice would be to do a workout at home.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 06:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
. Most important, do NOT wear headphones. I repeat DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES.
Very good advice! A cousin of mine was hit by a truck and killed when running with headphones on. Very sad.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 07:35 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Well, I wouldn't run just before dark. But mainly because I live in an area with a lot of animal predators (mountain lions, coyotes and on my favorite nearby trail, bears) and that it their prime hunting time.

I certainly don't want to have a discussion on a political subject, but you are probably better off running with a can of pepper spray in your hand, rather than going concealed/carry. If someone grabs you from behind, that likely isn't going to do you much good. But if you had the spray in your hand, you might be able to turn around and use it. The reaction time and skill needed to use a weapon should be considered very strongly and having a false sense of security is not good. I've obviously considered this.

There have always been plenty of bad people in the world. We aren't in some time warp with evil lurking around every corner. For the most part, us first world women are certainly safer than most women in the rest of the world and women as a whole throughout time. We just see more of the violence since TV uses people's suffering as entertainment.

The percent of women or children harmed by strangers is small in proportion to those harmed by "loved ones". However that is certainly no reason to put yourself in unnecessary danger.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 09:45 PM  
2ndgen

Just. Stay. Safe.
Old 08-20-11, 01:41 AM  
psnave

I'm glad you are looking at alternatives - I think your gut was telling you something more than we could.
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 07:25 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
Man am I glad I posted here. That's why I love all you guys You've opened my eyes up to many things. My family and safety are defiantly not worth risking. I'll have to think of a plan B. Maybe I'll even think about just circling my street, although I think that would get pretty boring after a while.
I'm going to have to get creative this fall. Thanks again.
Do you have steps in your home? My husband gets a great workout running up and down our basement steps (and circling the basement). Heck, there are times I want to watch tv and I end up jogging in place.

And I definitely would call the school. Every place I've lived has let the community use the outdoor track ... obviously if a gym class is outside you might not be able to, but I'd imagine there is plenty of time for community use. You pay taxes, you know!
Old 08-20-11, 09:16 AM  
jenn38

Do you live near a mall? Malls are usually opened earlier for mall walkers. Then you would not have to worry about the outside elements.

Tags
outdoors, safety, walking, walking conditions