Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-11, 09:21 PM  
Saffie J

Help, my butt has got bigger!

I started Callanetics about 6 months ago (in addition to cardio etc workouts) and also in the last few weeks have started doing workouts with squats and lunges around 4x/wk compared to maybe 1x/wk in the past. My weight and measurements have stayed pretty much the same, but I have noticed recently that my butt has got bigger and my pants are too tight and dresses don't fit right as there is a "ledge". It is bigger in the top part as well - is this the "peach" that Callan refers to? Has this happened to anyone else and do you think this could be the result from Callanetics or the squats and lunges? As always, I appreciate any advice you can give me
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 03:56 AM  
imhere2dance

I had been doing Callanetics daily for a couple of months and I've always done lots of squats and lunges. My body hasn't changed at all, though. No "precious little peach" for me, I guess. I like Callanetics but as of last week, I've decided to only do it 2-3 times a week. I figure it's still good for stretching my muscles, if nothing else. And the days I don't do Callanetics, I can maybe just do short Pilates workouts instead.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 06:30 AM  
anne

My butt gets bigger when I do too much step with risers--including lunges onto the step and Firm-style leg presses. Walking and flooraerobices or dance aerobics helps make it smaller when I overdo the step (but I do step without risers because I really like step).
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 08:06 AM  
violingal3

I have never tried Callanetics to relate to your experience, but I do have a similar butt issue - my mom says I have a J-Lo booty now that I've been using kettlebells for about 5 months.

I was mortified, but as my weight and measurements pretty much remained unchanged, I am embracing it and I think it looks awesome. I definitely have to get used to how clothes fit - I mainly wear skirts and dresses in the summer, so I'm am deathly afraid of trying on my dress slacks once the weather cools off.

Anyway, I frequently use Mandy Ingber's Yogalosophy, and there's a line in there where she is talking about people with bigger butts and she says, "Just dig on what you've got..." So that's what I'm doing.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 10:02 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Anyway, I frequently use Mandy Ingber's Yogalosophy, and there's a line in there where she is talking about people with bigger butts and she says, "Just dig on what you've got..." So that's what I'm doing.
Not to mention her mantra!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 10:13 AM  
daisysunshine

are you sure it's bigger and not HIGHER?
that could result in the same pants not feeling aspect.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 12:40 PM  
slysam

I agree with Daisy Sunshine that it is most likely higher or the shape has changed rather than bigger. If it were bigger your measurements would increase. I had similar happen with BBL and barre--some of my jeans and slacks felt a little tighter in certain areas even though my waist and thigh measurements decreased and hip and bum measurement stayed the same (at the two places I measure anyway). Though it did look better to my eye when I looked in the mirror, wore spandex, tight skirts, swimsuits, etc. Perhaps something similar is going on?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 12:50 PM  
momofcha

This is exactly what happened to me. I'm not sure either if it's higher or bigger. I am also afraid to try on my fall/winter pants

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 08:28 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Not to mention her mantra!
Oh yes! That, too!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 03:13 PM  
Saffie J

Thanks for your replies ladies, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to. I think you're right Daisysunshine and Slysham in that it has got higher, not bigger. I didn't realise this would be a bad thing, but I'm just not liking the way clothes are fitting and don't want to have to buy more due to change in shape.

I'm a little disappointed that my only "result" is this, but you are right violingirl, I should learn to embrace it, and be happy I have achieved something!

I like the walking and aerobics suggestion, thanks for this Anne, I will try to start incorporating more walking and aerobics.

Imhere2dance - I have cut back on the Callanetics to maybe 2 times a week as well. I'm not noticing the "pulling in" effects I was after, but I do still like the workouts (despite most people thinking they're boring, there is something calming about Callan that I like).

Voilingirl, I like that J-lo reference, I have used that one myself!
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt, glutes