Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-11, 09:50 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post

And I definitely would call the school. Every place I've lived has let the community use the outdoor track ... obviously if a gym class is outside you might not be able to, but I'd imagine there is plenty of time for community use. You pay taxes, you know!
I forgot to address the outdoor track at your local high school. Yes, as a taxpayer, you have the right to run on their track. If it is gated and locked, visit the administration office and request a key. You might have to pay a small deposit on the key, but it's worth it. The nice thing about a gated and locked track, is that you know that you will be extra safe, because you can lock the gate while you are on the track. I have a key to my local high school track, and it's really nice being able to access it when I want to. The only exception is when games are being held at the track.

Your local mall is another excellent suggestion. Indoor mall walking used to be pretty popular. I'm not sure how popular it is now. But, malls do unlock their main doors early for walkers.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 10:16 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
If it's any comfort, I'd actually be surprised if too many weirdos are out trolling the streets at 4 a.m. Even perverts don't like to get up that early.
I used to think the same thing. Until I started getting up at 4am. I sit on my front steps to drink my coffee and have seen the most troubling things. The perverts, drug dealers, hoodlums, are not getting up at that time -- they're just heading home after a night of mischief. And they're wound up from the adrenalin, or drugs, or alcohol. I do a lot of outdoor activities on my own (camping, hiking, biking) but I will not walk my neighborhood between 4:00am and daylight.

Besides all the other suggestions, you may look into "gyms" like Snap Fitness. These are very small storefronts that only have cardio machines. They are usually available 24 hours. Members get a key or code and can go do their cardio whenever they want. They are considerably less expensive than a real "gym". Maybe also consider Curves?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 10:27 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Another possibility is that sometimes early morning cardio classes are avaiable in church basements, community centers, and school gyms. That way you don't have to pay for a full service gym.
Old 08-20-11, 11:23 AM  
flamingoo

Well I spent the morning yesterday with my older two children cleaning out the garage. My husband blames all the clutter on the kids, but more than half of it's his Anyways, I have one little spot that will fit my treadmill. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to get the big thing up from the basement and out to the garage. Then I'll be able to walk and listen to music.
Problem solved right?
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 02:19 PM  
Sara1000

Just get one or more workouts from Cardio Coach and you will be the envy of me! I loved doing those workouts with my home treadmill till it stopped working.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 04:27 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Just get one or more workouts from Cardio Coach and you will be the envy of me! I loved doing those workouts with my home treadmill till it stopped working.

Which ones would you recommend?
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 04:41 PM  
2ndgen

That is awesome that you will be able to get your treadmill set up in the garage, flamingoo! If you and dh can't get it up the stairs and out there, maybe it'd be worth it just to hire someone for an hour to do that moving for you. You might ask a neighbor if they know anyone who might want to do that, make an hour's pay or so. Chances are someone will do it for free! :wave:
Old 08-22-11, 12:38 PM  
Sidlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I forgot to address the outdoor track at your local high school. Yes, as a taxpayer, you have the right to run on their track. If it is gated and locked, visit the administration office and request a key.
Wow, I'm not sure my community knows about this! Our local high school track used to be open to all, then they built a stadium around it, re-did the track, built a gate around it all and locked it. I emailed administration last summer to see if the public could use it and was told "no." It's closer than the park I occasionally run in, as well as flatter. Also very well lit, while the path in the park goes through woods and gets very dark and isolated...

"This is good for us!" ~Gilad
Sidlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 12:47 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I used to think the same thing. Until I started getting up at 4am. I sit on my front steps to drink my coffee and have seen the most troubling things. The perverts, drug dealers, hoodlums, are not getting up at that time -- they're just heading home after a night of mischief. And they're wound up from the adrenalin, or drugs, or alcohol. I do a lot of outdoor activities on my own (camping, hiking, biking) but I will not walk my neighborhood between 4:00am and daylight.
Wow! I'm really curious where you live! That sounds terrible!

If I were to sit on my front steps to drink coffee at 4am, I might see a family of deer wondering by, but that's about it. Of course, I live in a fairly rural area.
Old 08-22-11, 01:04 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
You pretty much just described my neighborhood. A few years ago, I started going out to run around 5:00 a.m. One morning, I see a gang member coming up the same side of the street as me. I wasn't worried about him doing anything to me but was concernced that he may have just been coming from a place of mischief and didn't want to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If you drive through my neighborhood, it looks harmless; safe. I feel safe in my neighborhood because it is just that, my neighborhood. We develop a comfort level in our own surroundings because we're used to the comings and going. Regardless of what you decide, don't take your comfort level for granted and be aware when you're out and about. In this world, there is no perfect neighborhood.
tigerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoors, safety, walking, walking conditions