Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-24, 11:45 PM  
bfit

Any Idea Why Water Aerobics Would Make Knee Pain Worse?

I've had some tendonitis in my knee for a couple of weeks. I've had it before from too much walking on hills and cycling. I've been doing nothing but swimming, deep water aerobics, and chair exercise for over a week, and I've realized that water aerobics actually makes it worse. Why in the world would this be? Is it because I'm still flexing and extending my knee in the water even though there's no impact? I can swim with a flutter kick just fine.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-24, 03:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I've had some tendonitis in my knee for a couple of weeks. I've had it before from too much walking on hills and cycling. I've been doing nothing but swimming, deep water aerobics, and chair exercise for over a week, and I've realized that water aerobics actually makes it worse. Why in the world would this be? Is it because I'm still flexing and extending my knee in the water even though there's no impact? I can swim with a flutter kick just fine.
I'm sorry you are having pain. Tendonitis can be really stubborn!

As always, it's good to check with a (preferably sports) physician about pain. If a tendon or muscle is injured, the activity may not matter.

It needs rehab and time to heal.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-24, 08:57 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Is it because I'm still flexing and extending my knee in the water even though there's no impact? I can swim with a flutter kick just fine.
Yes.

Also I have found that 360 degree water resistance placed on the joint works the knee muscles from different angles that don't receive resistance on land. I suffer from runners knee and can get knee pain from walking under water because of resistance laterally on my kneecap. I don't have any problems with flutter kick. I have to build up to both walking and frog kicks even when I am doing well on land with no pain.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee pain, water aerobics