Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-22, 04:07 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
LOL - I haven't bought my new hairspray yet since my old one is still hanging in there (I don't use a lot of it).

I have a question about gray hair - I probably asked some version of this last year, but I'm gradually getting more gray, haha. I am probably at about 10% now. As is the case for most people, the gray hairs are coarse and dry; they need extra conditioning. However, my scalp is still oily (I must wash my hair daily) and my original hair is thin and fine, so I can't over-condition it.

So how do you deal with this in-between stage? What's the best way to deal with two different types of hair on your head?
Only thing I can think of is after washing your hair, while it's still wet, first put on a hair serum but only apply from about midway down your hair to the ends (not near the roots). My mom is 100% silver/white thinning hair and this is what she does. I do the same and I have lots of curly hair though sometimes I end up combing the serum through from top to bottom since my hair can handle A LOT of product. My mom has to use less serum than me (like 1 pump) since she has thinning/less hair than me. I use about 3 pumps and then put on my curly hair products.

Not sure how to purchase the serum we use since I get it from my hair stylist. The product is Lakme Technia Full Defense Serum OR Lakme Technia Deep Care Drops. I like the Deep Care Drops scent slightly better but my stylist thinks the Full Defense has more protective properties. Personally, they seem to work the same for my hair though I need to switch back to using the Deep Care Drops again just to be sure.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 04:13 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Only thing I can think of is after washing your hair, while it's still wet, first put on a hair serum but only apply from about midway down your hair to the ends (not near the roots)..
My hair is very similar to Beth's and I have tried doing this but the serum ends up working its way to my scalp when I style my hair. I can't find a way to style my hair in a way where I'm not using a brush on both parts at some point (scalp and ends). I spend very little time styling - I usually wait until my hair is almost dry - but I can't just air dry because my hair looks terrible like that.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 08:34 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I'm also in the Chicago burbs. I can recommend an experienced stylist in the Libertyville/Vernon Hills area if you are interested. Just PM me. She's not cheap but she's also not nearly as expensive as she was for the almost 20 years I was seeing her when she worked at an Aveda salon in another zip code. She doesn't work with Aveda products now (though I still use some) and has a nice little salon suite at one of those places you can rent space out of. I prefer it vs. going to a traditional big salon because there's just one chair, one shampoo bowl and not any waiting around and loud conversations and blow drying going on around me. And it manages not to feel claustrophobic.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in the SW burbs so that would be quite a hike for me. You know, one of those salon suite places just opened by me. I should look into stylists that have rented space there. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-19-22, 11:38 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in the SW burbs so that would be quite a hike for me. You know, one of those salon suite places just opened by me. I should look into stylists that have rented space there. Thanks for the idea!
I moved when I retired and lost the best hairdresser I'd ever had. She was the manager of a Supercuts. So expensive doesn't always equal great skill!

It took me 5 years to find a hairstylist with the skills I prefer. She works at a place that caters to a clientele much younger than I, and she charges what I consider very low end (55$ per cut—I haven't colored my hair since 2014). I will stick with her because she does wonders with my thick but fine hair.

During those 5 years, I went through 6 or 7 stylists. I gave each one several chances to do a good job on my hair. Some were good at short hair. Some were good at longer hair. Some were good with unlayered bobs. Some were good with layers. None were good at everything, and I need someone who is good at all these AND with my particular hair. I guess what I'm saying is that there's someone out there who can do a good job on your hair, but you might have to kiss a few frogs.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-22, 09:12 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Dawn, thanks for the idea. An unfortunate part of this whole thing is that about 6 years ago, my scalp developed a sensitivity to certain styling products (I've never been able to figure out the common denominator). It's very weird - I will get an itchy, irritated scalp in ONE particular spot, always the same. I can go for weeks without it bothering me, and then I'll use something (like serum or hair oil), and even if I keep it away from that spot, the problem seems to recur.

Demeris, I actually had a stylist from Supercuts that I followed around for a long time, but I finally needed a change (she also seemed to be getting more distracted when cutting my hair, which I didn't like). I then spent awhile shopping around. I found a salon I really liked (they use Aveda products, which smell wonderful), I liked several of the people I went to there, especially the last one, but every single stylist I liked there wound up leaving (I think there were 3!). At my current salon, I started with one stylist that was pretty good (and I will still go to her in a pinch), but then I wound up seeing the owner, and not only is she excellent, but also she charges me what I was paying before ($40 - I then tip her $10 b/c she's worth over 20%). I haven't had a lot of different lengths/stylist in my hair, but she's definitely someone who has been good with everything I've done so far.

Erica, do brushes bother your hair? I recently got a bamboo brush (which my stylist recommended), and I use it even when my hair is wet. I think I am going to try to concentrate the shampoo around my hairline (especially the parts near my face - that's what feels the most oily) and condition more on top, where the grays are. I have sometimes been using a little conditioner when I first get into the shower, washing, and then conditioning again - I mainly started doing this because I got a big bottle of conditioner that's just okay, so I wanted to use it up. It helps a little.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-22, 09:54 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
On a totally different subject, I'm noticing lately that my skin is just feeling and looking very BLAH. I'm late 40s, always had oily/acne-prone skin, to the point where I have some pock marks leftover from my teen years. Now the oil/acne is basically controlled, and I was looking pretty much okay for a while there, but I think more aging and some stress have caught up with me, and now I just always look and feel a little dull and am noticing more fine lines than I used to.

I currently use Olay Regenerist cream cleanser, followed by Regenerist Sunscreen Mineral Moisturizer, and then at night I use either their night cream or Neutrogena's equivalent, all with retinol. Every so often I use Yensa Beauty's Pumpkin & Turmeric exfoliating mask, and this regimen was working for me pretty well for a long time but seems to no longer be sufficient.

I subscribe to Ipsy and will occasionally get interesting skincare products in there aside from makeup and hair stuff that I'll try until it runs out, but lately nothing in there has really grabbed me as being very effective.

I don't want to spend a lot. This could also be down to hydration, which I haven't been very good about lately. I haven't changed anything about my makeup, which I try to keep pretty light and mostly just stick to Bare Minerals foundation and some mascara and lipstick.

I really want to stave off more dullness and wrinkles for longer if I can. My mom still looks about ten years younger than her actual age in her face, and she does even less skincare than I do.

Any favorite products? Other info about my skin is that I'm very fair, burn easily, but I'm not overly sensitive to anything I've ever tried.
I'm very low maintenance when it comes to skincare. I use the Neutrogena retinol cream in the gray jar and it works wonderfully for me. I also use a hyaluronic acid cream for daytime by The Ordinary. I am in my 60s and get compliments on my skin. When I was going through perimenopause my skin was much duller so it may be hormonal changes going on? My skin has improved after menopause so that may have something to do with it. At my age nothing is going to get rid of fine lines completely so unfortunately that may be something you will have to get used to. But the Neutrogena is certainly very helpful.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-22, 11:28 AM  
BunnyHop

In terms of haircare, I'm doing just fine with Function of Beauty. For a long while I used the stuff you can get at Target, but finally realized that I really do best with unscented products and took the plunge to order directly so I can have no perfume at all. I'm really sensitive to fragranced haircare (it tends to give me a headache) so that's not something most people need to be concerned about. The Target-sold FoB has a fairly unobtrusive amount of fragrance (Nude Peach, IIRC).

When I bought my new supplies I did go ahead and get a bottle of the leave in conditioner too, and I like it.

For my superfine hair, I always walk a line between under conditioning and oil slick, so it's been very nice to find a range that works well for me.

In terms of managing oiliness, I do find that massaging my scalp with my finger tips just before I shampoo, and then massaging the shampoo into my scalp really well does seem to help stave off early onset oiliness.

I do put a little bit of the leave in up on top for those wayward strands, but I also got a formula with a bit of frizz control.

Has anyone experimented with putting those little FoB add-ins into another product from a different line?? The frizz control might be a place to start, and they aren't all that pricey.
Old 03-20-22, 12:31 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Thinning hair

Does anyone have any product recommendations for thinning hair...shampoos, conditioners, whatnot. Or is Rogaine the only thing that works?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-22, 01:05 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Does anyone have any product recommendations for thinning hair...shampoos, conditioners, whatnot. Or is Rogaine the only thing that works?
I experienced some hair loss last year due to perimenopause and four things worked for some regrowth: I put pure vitamin E oil and pure aloe vera on it and left it on overnight, and then I sprayed magnesium oil on the area for about an hour before washing it. I did this every few days for about a month or so. It actually did regrow a bit.

The other thing that has helped me with regrowth is sitting in front a vitamin D light a few times a week. It's pricey but considering I don't have sunlight for more than half of the year, it was worth it.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-22, 01:29 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I also use a hyaluronic acid cream for daytime by The Ordinary. I am in my 60s and get compliments on my skin. When I was going through perimenopause my skin was much duller so it may be hormonal changes going on? My skin has improved after menopause so that may have something to do with it.
Thanks! I found some hyaluronic serum and will add it to my regime for sure. And yeah, this may all be because of perimenopause.

Tags
2022 beauty, beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2022, electric razor, off topic, off-topic