Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-22, 08:36 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Standing Only Total Body Strength Workout

Once my knee is completely healed, I would like to add more varied strength work videos to mix things up. I need recommendations please. My requirements:

1) ZERO floor work and I mean zero (I hate floor work!!)

2) Dumbbells only (no bands or other gadgets)

3) Total body (no splits)

4) Cardio present and I prefer compound moves

5) Not Cathe, Jessica, Ellen, or The Firm

6) DVD as I don’t have a VCR anymore

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m looking for something different than what I already have now. Thank you in advance!!!!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-22, 08:57 AM  
sherry7899

When you say "cardio present" do you mean a circuit workout that alternates cardio and standing strength work? Or do you mean compound strength moves that get your heart rate elevated like cardio would?

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-22, 08:58 AM  
sherry7899

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUmMz3V20o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOBByaV7K5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ORHPzt6-o

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-22, 09:06 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
When you say "cardio present" do you mean a circuit workout that alternates cardio and standing strength work? Or do you mean compound strength moves that get your heart rate elevated like cardio would?
Yes, sorry about that!! I mean like a Jessica Smith type workout that is metabolic where you are marching and doing aerobics as you are doing the weights versus cardio then stop and do weights and then back to cardio. She has A LOT of moves where she hinges forward and that hurts my back. So, I was looking for an alternative to her strength work. Yes, I also have tons of firms but the new ones move to fast. Sometimes, I use the classics and stop before floor work. I also don’t like just strength workouts as a stand alone that don’t have cardio. And, I don’t really like to stream and prefer DVDs. Gosh, I’m fussy! Sorry!!
Old 04-30-22, 09:11 AM  
bubbles76

I can't think of a single one that meets your criteria lol! I thought maybe Jen Edwards Sweat More workouts, but I'm not sure if they get on the floor for abs.

ETA: Sweat More Total Body breakdown is here. I don't think this will work for you, as they do get down on the floor once for plank rows and in one interval there is a cardio only move. Now that I think about it, I'm probably no help at all as the workouts you describe are the workouts that aren't my favorite
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-22, 09:23 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I can't think of a single one that meets your criteria lol! I thought maybe Jen Edwards Sweat More workouts, but I'm not sure if they get on the floor for abs.

ETA: Sweat More Total Body breakdown is here. I don't think this will work for you, as they do get down on the floor once for plank rows and in one interval there is a cardio only move. Now that I think about it, I'm probably no help at all as the workouts you describe are the workouts that aren't my favorite
I know, right!!! That’s why I thought I would ask here because if this crew doesn’t know then it probably doesn’t exist!!! It will be a good challenge to see if anyone can come up with one for me!!
Old 04-30-22, 10:18 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Leslie Sansone did a workout where she alternated walking with strength moves, and she used real dumbells, not super light weights. Don't remember the exact title, but I can look it up if someone else doesn't chime in. As I recall she did get down on the floor for chest flyes, but that's all. It's very hard to do proper chest work standing, but you could try.

I used to get creative with some of my walking workouts if they were divided into 2 or 3 sections. I would pause the dvd and do some strength moves, and then go back to the dvd. However I haven't done this in a long time.
Old 04-30-22, 10:39 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Leslie Sansone did a workout where she alternated walking with strength moves, and she used real dumbells, not super light weights. Don't remember the exact title, but I can look it up if someone else doesn't chime in. As I recall she did get down on the floor for chest flyes, but that's all. It's very hard to do proper chest work standing, but you could try.

I used to get creative with some of my walking workouts if they were divided into 2 or 3 sections. I would pause the dvd and do some strength moves, and then go back to the dvd. However I haven't done this in a long time.
I have one of hers called Walk Strong that is similar but I was looking for a combined weight and cardio workout versus a separate cardio and weight interval workout. But, thank you for the suggestion!

I am thinking there must be some older workouts that were cardio while lifting weights. Im not looking for anything major like Cathe or even KCM- just some weight work for strength and bone density while moving my feet. If I could find a walking or hi/lo based workout like Jessica but without all the hinges forward and at a tad slower lift pace (so I can increase weight if needed) that would be ideal! I don't feel Ellen is as complete as Jessica's weight workouts and hers are really shoulder/arm heavy (at least for me). Jessica is more complete but she constantly hinges forward and I get tired of modifying. I have a bunch of new Firms but they just seem so fast compared to the Classic pace which I prefer and I don't want to use the short or tall box.
Old 04-30-22, 11:01 AM  
Leonana

It's not dvd's, but You Tube. However, I think the Lively Ladies channel is what you are looking for. I don't think she has floor work, at least I don't remember it. Her toning workouts are light weights while walking, and she is slower than Jessica. My memory is fuzzy, but I don't think she has a lot of forward bends.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LivelyLadi...ur50s/featured
Old 04-30-22, 11:04 AM  
Negin

Fitness Blender on YouTube? if you're interested in possible specifics, I can link them.

Tags
standing only, total body strength