Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-20, 07:20 AM  
amoodygirl

Meditation Cushion suggestions

Good morning everyone and happy holidays!

Looking forward to getting rid of 2020 and hopeful that 2021 will be a lot better and healthier.

I'm looking for Meditation Cushion recommendations. Right now I'm using my stability ball against the wall so I can prop up my back comfortably. I have found that if I meditate lying down, I fall asleep!!! So, recommendations are very much needed!

Thanks so much in advance and stay happy and healthy!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-20, 07:46 AM  
Melissa Baker
VF Supporter

Hi Diane,

Halfmoon has a variety of meditation cushions. I got one of the crescent shaped ones several years back.

https://shophalfmoon.com/collections...ation-cushions
Melissa Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-20, 09:09 AM  
BunnyHop

In general, I'd suggest Hugger Mugger. I have several of their bolsters and have been very impressed.

What sort of cushion do you want? What sort of position do you want to be in?

I have a buckwheat filled zafu that I like quite a lot, but these days I'm not really limber enough to manage to sit on it.

Lately I find I like sitting upright on a footstool.

In terms of general chair cushions, I'm impressed with the Tempur-pedic seat cushions I bought years ago for my dad. They've held up beautifully.
Old 12-23-20, 09:56 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm interested in this question as well. I've had these two saved on my amazon wish list for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F15XTDQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JQU3FA6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 12-23-20, 10:28 AM  
sherry7899

I use a yoga bolster that I already have. I admit I am too cheap to spend the money on one. They are expensive, but I am sure they are really nice to have.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 06:14 AM  
ncl

I can't remember where I got my cushion but I do remember that it came from NC and I would recommend my brand. Well made. I got a crescent shaped cushion. If I sit on a the circular cushion, my legs fall asleep every time but this does not happen to me with the crescent shaped cushion. When my family wakes up this am, I will try to go look at it and see who made it. It has stood the test of time for sure.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 06:40 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Baker View Post
Hi Diane,

Halfmoon has a variety of meditation cushions. I got one of the crescent shaped ones several years back.

https://shophalfmoon.com/collections...ation-cushions
Thank you - do you think because of the shape (where the knees can fall to the side) is more comfortable? I'm looking at the flat cushion with the additional purchase of the higher cushion (does that make sense?).

Diane
Old 12-24-20, 06:42 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
In general, I'd suggest Hugger Mugger. I have several of their bolsters and have been very impressed.

What sort of cushion do you want? What sort of position do you want to be in?

I have a buckwheat filled zafu that I like quite a lot, but these days I'm not really limber enough to manage to sit on it.

Lately I find I like sitting upright on a footstool.

In terms of general chair cushions, I'm impressed with the Tempur-pedic seat cushions I bought years ago for my dad. They've held up beautifully.
I'm not sure what kind of cushion I'm looking for! I'm looking at all different ones suggested. They're not inexpensive so I don't want to buy multiples and then not use one or the other.

This is a lot harder than one would think! Thank you!

Diane
Old 12-24-20, 01:09 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
I'm not sure what kind of cushion I'm looking for! I'm looking at all different ones suggested. They're not inexpensive so I don't want to buy multiples and then not use one or the other.

This is a lot harder than one would think! Thank you!
It is difficult to decide, isn't it?

Some years back I rather impulsively bought the Brentwood Home yoga cushions all at once. They were new at the time and the price was too good to resist. The oval yoga pillow was really under-filled. Because I had the other cushions I was able to estimate how much extra buckwheat I'd need to fill it out properly, but it took quite a lot of back and forth (and one puny package of buckwheat that didn't even begin to address the issue) before they sent me enough extra buckwheat to solve the problem. All I had to do was keep emailing them with my concerns and eventually they sent enough. I'm not sure the customer service people I dealt with really understood the issue at first. The pranayama bolster was filled perfectly, though.
Also in terms of that brand, I'm not really a fan of the fabric they use for their covers. It's really stretchy, and I just find it annoying.

In terms of buying cushions that endure, I've got some ancient square cushions with indoor/outdoor fabric on them. I use them indoors now, but they're tough. No idea what sort of filling there is, but it's heavy and dense.

In terms of cushions for a meditation perch? I do like a solid base, with a bit of give, which is why I worked so hard to seek out refillable/adjustable buckwheat cushions. There do seem to be more options now, so the search is likely to be easier if that's what interests you.

Tags
meditation, meditation cushion, yoga