(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 01:10 PM  
carolyn jane

Hi Erica,

You will be so happy when you have this surgery!

I struggled with CPS for a year and did everything I could think of - physical therapy, braces, supplements, steroid shots, etc. Nothing worked and by this summer I was awake for several hours each night with my hands on FIRE!

I finally has surgery for my left hand in August. Surgery on my right hand is scheduled for this Friday. It has been wonderful to have my left hand back to normal and I can't wait for my right hand to be the same way.

As far as surgery and recovery - be sure your surgeon is going to do an endoscopic surgery. The incision is only about 1/2 inch long. My surgeon used stiches that dissolved in a few days. I left the surgery center with a soft bandage which I removed after 3 days and only needed a Band-Aid after that.

The surgery itself only takes about 10 minutes (of course I was there for a couple of hours including filling out paperwork and being in recovery). I also decided to have them knock me out as opposed to a local anesthesia but I came out of it very quickly.

For recovery, I was able to do cardio within a couple of days. I did my "weight" work without weights for a couple of weeks, then started with 3 pounds, 5 pounds, etc. as the incision spot felt less sensitive. It was about 6 weeks before I could put pressure on my hand (like doing push ups) but within 6-8 weeks I was back to lifting my highest weight (for me that is 18 pounds).

I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery! Happy to answer any other questions!
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 02:33 PM  
Erica H.

Thank you for all the good wishes!

Carolyn Jane - thank you for the information! I am glad your first surgery went so well and sending good wishes for your upcoming surgery! Good to know that you got back to weights so quickly!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 08:48 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I was so happy I was able to browbe---er persuade the surgeon, who I knew well--to do both my hands at the same time.

She was with the same hospital where I was Infection Control nurse, and told me she'd never forgive me (actually she said she'd kill me lol) if I got an infection and was a blot on her records.

I had things well thought out and everything went very well with my recovery. I was so happy not to have to go through two recovery periods. I realize this isn't an option for everyone. But even for one hand, a word of advice: Playtex Living Gloves are your friend!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 08:52 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I was so happy I was able to browbe---er persuade the surgeon, who I knew well--to do both my hands at the same time.

She was with the same hospital where I was Infection Control nurse, and told me she'd never forgive me (actually she said she'd kill me lol) if I got an infection and was a blot on her records.

I had things well thought out and everything went very well with my recovery. I was so happy not to have to go through two recovery periods. I realize this isn't an option for everyone. But even for one hand, a word of advice: Playtex Living Gloves are your friend!
I would prefer to get both hands done at the same time because of the recovery periods but I just don't understand how I would function. How long was it before you could use your hands for anything?

Erica
Old 12-11-18, 11:24 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I would prefer to get both hands done at the same time because of the recovery periods but I just don't understand how I would function. How long was it before you could use your hands for anything?

Erica
Erica, I was good for dressing, eating, even showering with my trusty gloves secured with rubber bands above the elbow the next day. My surgery wasn't totally endoscopic but I think partially, my incisions were about an inch long. I had a slightly bulky hydrophilic silver dressing on them but was definitely able to use my fingers and take care of myself right away.

Old 12-11-18, 11:25 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I'm strange that way. I also had bunionectomies done on both feet while preparing to move to Hawaii!! I had to wear ortho boots for longer than I anticipated but still managed to move most of a house and its contents while recovering from that.

Maybe I'm just nuts

Old 12-12-18, 06:32 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Erica, I was good for dressing, eating, even showering with my trusty gloves secured with rubber bands above the elbow the next day. My surgery wasn't totally endoscopic but I think partially, my incisions were about an inch long. I had a slightly bulky hydrophilic silver dressing on them but was definitely able to use my fingers and take care of myself right away.
One more question if you don't mind...did you get the gloves to fit or did you get them bigger to allow for swelling, bandages, etc.? I have small hands/wrists and was thinking of getting small but I'm wondering if I should get a larger size. Or maybe both?

Thanks so much.

Erica