Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-02, 11:58 AM  
boofceil

Question Anyone else get great results with Power Yoga?

I have been doing power yoga exclusively for strength training for the past month. I go to Baron Baptiste's studio once or twice per week and do an hour and a half class. I also do a power yoga video once per week. I've also been doing about 2-3 days of moderate cardio per week.

Anyway, the pounds aren't really coming off quick, but my butt has never looked better! I've always had a lot of dimply stuff, and it is really going away. My saddlebags are totally shrinking! Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Am I just getting these results because I am doing something new? Or is Power Yoga the anti-cellulite solution? I am wondering if I will continue to see results without lifting weights. I just got a new bodybar that I am excited to use, but it is hard to find time if I want to give my muscles a rest day between power yoga workouts. I used to lift a lot of heavy weights for lower body (Firm/Cathe) and never really saw changes this dramatic.
boofceil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 02:18 PM  
Shelby
VF Supporter

I have a question, not an answer

Are your muscles fatigued the day after a Power Yoga class or tape? I'm often exhausted during a tape but don't feel a whole heck of a lot in my legs the next day - sometimes my arms and shoulders will be a little creaky.

Interesting question....
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 04:20 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

My upper back, shoulders, abs and "waist" (if you know what area I mean) are often sore after yoga class, but not my legs very often. For the record though, I don't take power yoga classes, I do Iyengar.
Old 02-13-02, 04:28 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Well, I almost never get sore, no matter what.

Not even after Power Hour. I think this varies with the individual.

I don't do that much "power" yoga either -- just once or twice a week from videotapes. My teacher is viniyoga and my tapes are all over the place but many are iyengar.

That being said, the addition of regular yoga to my routine has made an extraordinary difference in my over-all fitness level.

Many things I've added in, including weights, have had an effect -- but no single element has made such a dramatic change.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 06:03 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I've been doing Ashtanga yoga tapes for a year now, but only twice a week for 45 min. at a time. I also do other forms of yoga. While I initially saw results; dropped 5 lbs, noticed increased flexibility and some muscle tone, I eventually hit a plateu and that's the reason why I've moved on to other forms of exercise. Of course I didn't do it for an hour and a half, nor did I take a class. Yoga will always be a part of my life and it complements my other routines nicely. Good for you if you are satisfied with it! The nice thing about yoga is you can always push yourself to go a little further, even on a beginner tape. But you may eventually want to add something else if you feel you've hit a plateu.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 11:09 PM  
boofceil

power yoga

To answer Shelby's question, I do get fairly sore sometimes. I don't always feel a heck of a lot of muscle fatigue during the workout, but I usually have mild soreness the next day. I especially feel it in my shoulders, triceps, butt and thighs and sometimes my abs. Baron Baptiste may be unusually tough though. My hubby is in phenomenal shape and he went to one class with me and thought he was going to die.

I wonder if all the stretching inproves circulation or does something with the lymphatics that could improve the appearance of cellulite? On the hand, maybe I am just pushing myself in a new way and that is what is yielding results for the time being.
boofceil is offline   Reply With Quote