Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-22, 09:07 PM  
bfit

Zumba?

Does anyone do Zumba classes regularly? How do you think it contributes to overall fitness? I attended a 30 minute free "sample" of Zumba Gold yesterday at my community center. It was OK and sort of fun, but I had a hard time seeing how it would contribute to fitness. In particular, the "toning" classes use very light "toning sticks" and that's all. Plus, there's a lot of down time while the instructor shows you the dance steps.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 09:38 PM  
Vantreesta

I took Zumba several years ago and there was virtually no down time that I can remember. It was a lot of fun and got my HR up. I think Gold is geared more toward beginner level, if I remember right.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 09:59 PM  
bfit

I don't know if it was just my "trial class" or because it was Zumba for beginners or what, but my class had a lot of down time. We'd do a song for about 5 minutes, and then the instructor would turn off the music and demonstrate the steps we needed to know for the next song. Even if you followed along with her demo you weren't exercising very much during that time.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 11:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I wonder if future classes will move more quickly or still have so much downtime?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 07:52 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

Gold is Zumba for seniors. I have not taken a class, but it is offered at the Y where I live. Here is a “beginner” level Zumba class. https://www.google.com/search?q=begi...WkPIPkKmssAU11

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 10:15 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
Gold is Zumba for seniors. I have not taken a class, but it is offered at the Y wear I live.
Good to know!

i took a few Zumba classes at work and they moved at the same pace as the DVDs with zero down time. if you click on the tag, the thread i started describing my experience is in there.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 07:07 PM  
psupam

I take Zumba usually twice a week. My classes are non-stop for an hour. I consider them interval cardio as my HR goes up and down, and does get quite high. If my instructor wants to go over steps she does it before class.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zumba, zumba gold