Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-15-22, 07:40 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I am on a staycation this week so a little off my usual schedule.

On Sunday I did another of the Self Magazine workouts this one was a kickboxing/toning workout w/ Violet Zaki. it was filmed at the same location as Ellen's workout. It was one of those workouts that back in the day, when it first came out, I would have deemed it for a "light" day - but now, it was actually challenging enough to be a regular day! LOL!

Today, something came over me and I signed up for Get Fit with Rick's Body Combat program. It is a combo of kickboxing and walking. Today, I paired it with Man Flow Yoga's strength foundations program, Day # 1. I signed up for the Man Flow Yoga for $9 for the challenge - he allows you to "rent" challenges like Lisa from Pilates by Lisa. I like that feature. You also don't have to do anything to cancel it - it just ends - if you want to subscribe you have to actively subscribe. So it is nice not to have to worry about canceling something. Get Fit with Rick, I need to remember to cancel though.

I don't know what came over me - I guess the desire for a change of pace!

Pam - I forgot to comment - I always felt that Mari was a little too fast for me, too.

wishiwasinhawaii- glad you are back from your trip and that it went well. MetCon 5 is a hard one!

Sherry - I'm glad you are doing well - I think you will do well at the job - it may take some getting used to, but you'll get there.

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was back to the Self Magazine workouts...these are from the early 2000's....nice scenery outdoors.

Self - Dance Your Way Thin w/ Kimberly Spreen - this was not too dancey - more like dance inspired aerobics. There was some impact, but it was easy to leave out. Nice for a steady state cardio day.

Jessica Valent - Basic Full Body Stretch Routine - her latest stretching video.

Waves, everyone,

Donna
Old 08-17-22, 08:43 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I'm still on the Self Magazine workout kick - these will be nice to do in the winter when you need some bright scenery to look at.

Today was-

Self - Trim & Tone Fast DVD - w/ Kimberly Spreen. This was set up like a 10 Min Solution workout w/ different segments (probably 5-10 min in length). The segments were:

- warm-up
- Legs
- Back
- Arms & Shoulders
- Chest
- Core
- Total Body
- Cool down

I would say it was more upper body focused than lower and more focused on endurance - so high rep/lower weight.

The total body segment was one that was tricky and included some type of movements that I know are not good for me - like doing a front raise w/ a squat. I ended up using no weights for this section and that worked fine. I think I could do it in the future w/ some light wrist weights but I would go heavy on it b/c it just wouldn't work for me. I think the Total Body segment done w/ light wrist weights would make for a good first segment to warm up. I also skipped through some of the core work - certain core moves on the floor just don't work for me either. I prefer to do standing abs these days and maybe some stabilization stuff on the floor but very limited crunches and roll up type moves.

I am not sure, but i think the DVD is programmable to play in the order you choose, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, it is nice getting through some of these oldies!

Hope everyone is having a good week.

I'm enjoying my staycation. I don't want to go back to work ever.

Take care!

Donna
Old 08-17-22, 12:11 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Winsor Bun and Thigh Sculpting (2002)

Hi Ladies,

We had a busy weekend at History Camp in Boston and were still recovering from that (all day classes/sessions) and up early and home late!

Monday and Tuesday I was busy getting ready for company (from Sweden) arriving late Tuesday for an upcoming Horror Convention in Providence. He's staying with us for a full week! ;-) Monday was also my last Hawthorne class...and parting was such sweet sorrow, lol! They have a Henry James class coming up next month, but I need to take a break after eight weeks of extensive study and readings. My teacher was great, but the James class is being co-lead by a trio of English Lit majors. Uh....NO, I'll pass.

Wednesday (after breakfast) I squeezed in Mari's Bun & Thigh workout which was tough for me doing the side laying series on right side. Laying on left hip is more difficult for me now, so there must be some problems there. Hoping all the stretching will help.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 12:19 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Winsor Abs Power Sculpting (2003)

I also added this band workout today, after ordering longer latex-free bands on Amazon! This was a very good workout that I enjoyed. Not difficult with the easy (lightest resistance) yellow band. Next time I'll step it up. I kept my head down (or on flat foam cushion) for most of the workout, and it was a nice way to do the workout with no stress on shoulders or neck!

Donna, I have all of the Self workouts you are re-visiting and remember them well. I also thought (at one time) they were too easy, haha. How quickly things change after so many years away.

I used to breeze through all of the Pilates matwork and am having fun doing these once again! Just have to build up my strength again, in all areas. Pilates works the muscles in so many different ways but especially that (much needed) core area!

waves to everyone else!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 03:55 PM  
Leonana

Monday I did Improved Health's Beginner All In One Workout. I really liked this one, it had some low impact cardio, high rep light weight strength, balance and stretch. I used five pounds. It seemed a bit more challenging than beginner, so I can relate to the idea of workouts not being as easy now!

Yesterday I did Miles two and three of Jessica's Five K, and the recovery cool down afterwards.

Nothing yet today, but I'd like to do a stretch later.

I had my CT scan this morning for my kidneys. My nephrologist appointment is on Monday. The scan was was really easy and very quick. I was stressed about it for nothing. I turned down the contrast, I was too nervous. Then I had to go back to the School District office to fill out some paperwork that was missed. I start working at the school tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous!

Donna, I'm glad you have a staycation and are enjoying it.

Pam, congrats on finishing your Hawthorne class. It sounds like you are having a busy week.
Old 08-18-22, 11:38 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Continuing on w/ Self....

Self - Slim & Sleek w/ Ellen - this is mainly a cardio workout - mixed impact, but I kept it low w/ the modifier (Debra?). There is a little ballet in the beginning and a short weight section at the end. Beach scenery - the same as Bikini Ready Fast.

I may get a CS in later today - I haven't done any Essentrics yet this week.

Sherry - it sounds like you are making progress w/ how you are feeling. Good luck tomorrow!!

Pam - nice work w/ Pilates.....did I mention that I'm going to take 2 mini classes on-line this fall - they are only for 3 sessions each and are for "old" people through the community college - one is on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and the other is on Edgar Allen Poe's works. There is also a crochet class I would like to take.

Does anyone know how much Lift & Shift is? I see that Jessica is opening it up again on the 22nd. I am thinking about it. I feel that Strong & Centered really helped w/ my stamina and ability to do longer workouts (both mentally and physically). I had heard somewhere that Jessica was creating a hybrid program using both - and I would like to do that. It does help me to have a "plan" I don't mind having a month of doing whatever, but I do better when I have a plan and I think fall would be a great time to do L&S or the hybrid program as I can get my steps up outside by walking in the cooler weather.

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Donna
Old 08-18-22, 06:14 PM  
Leonana

Yesterday evening I tried Jessica's Recovery stretch from Stretch and Relax. It used a chair. Not a favorite I'd say, it was a bit awkward to do some of the stretches with a chair. Today will probably be some yoga.

My first day went well. The biggest problem is the heat. We are watching the kids for three hours and 15 minutes, and more than half is outside. We are doing outside recess and inside lunch duty. Twenty minutes for each one, and it alternates somewhat. The last 45 minutes are indoors for a short lunch and some office work. It was 96-103 degrees while I was outside. I drank a lot of water! And stayed in the shade. It was doable and I guess I'll get used to it. I didn't get too tired. It's mostly standing around, with some walking. The kids are cute, although I have a hard time hearing them with my hearing loss, and all the background noise. I like the job, and the heat should ease up in another month. The lady I worked with is 80 years old! And she has kidney issues too. I guess I can't complain lol.

Donna, I think L&S was around $100? If memory serves me correctly.
Old 08-19-22, 02:52 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I took today off because I worked on a weekend when I was on the recent business trip, and we get a 'comp day' when that happens that I had to use or lose by today. I went to a local park this morning and did some exploring and stayed there a couple of hours until it got too hot out. Now I'm just puttering around the house. I attempted to go to the mall, but there was an accident and a lot of traffic on the highway, so I turned around and went home.

My boss is on vacation next week so it'll feel like a vacation for me!

Donna, Yesterday I finished week 3 of Summer of Strength and I expect by the time I finish the final week, the weather should be cooler and I'll start Strong & Centered. I then plan to do Lift & Shift, but I also heard Jessica is putting together a hybrid, so I might do that instead. As Sherry said, I seem to remember L&S was around $100. I don't know if Jessica is still selling it at that price because I checked the website and it doesn't mention the price anywhere, oddly enough.

Sherry, Glad to hear your new job is going well! A friend of mine is a lunch monitor at an elementary school and likes it a lot. I don't think she goes outside, but I'm not sure.

Pam, Wow, that's exciting that you have a house guest. How is that going? Glad you made it through the Hawthorne class! The Jessica workout I did yesterday was a band workout and I forgot that I'd gotten rid of all my bands so I used light weights, LOL.
Old 08-19-22, 06:15 PM  
Leonana

This evening I did 10 Minute Yoga Stretch for Upper and Lower Body Tension Relief by Yoga With Bird.

It was ten degrees cooler today as it was cloudy. But it was humid, 57% humidity, which is a lot for us. I was doing better at first, but at the end of the day I was wilting. I hope I can last through another month of heat. It won't cool off until the middle of September. I have three days off now, as I have a doctor appointment on Monday.

wishiwasinhawaii, that's great you got a day off and your boss will be on vacation. Our classrooms are not in a building, we have outdoor hallways and breezeways, since we don't have very cold winters. And of course recess is outside. I alternate outside and inside. I’m outside for a total of about two hours, and spend about one hour inside for lunches. Then 45 minutes inside for a short break and some office work. I hope I hold up!

Tags
tablet