Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-16-22, 03:44 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had my infusion this afternoon. Yesterday, DH pointed out that I might want to go to the YMCA today rather than tomorrow given how I so often I drag and am so tired the morning after. So, I went this morning and did a workout on the seated elliptical. On the way home, I ran a couple of errands - library and prescription pick-up.

Anita - You're welcome on adding the theme to the list. I'm just sorry it took me so long to come up with the logical solution. You asked about what church service we watch these day. Ever since we found it, we've watched the church whose service we really like that is on the other side of the city. Enjoy your Latvian rerun.

Paula - I like roses because they remind me of my grandmother - they were her favorite. But my favorite are irises. In Maryland, we had so many different colors of irises and they were so pretty. I think everyone as a favorite. It's nice there are so many choices.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 09:40 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 8 Push (Strength) followed by Travis Eliot Yin Yoga for Upper Body.

Today just slipped away. I baked two loaves of sourdough bread and planted the tree rose I bought on Sunday.

Anita, don't youo hate it when you get your post all written down and then it disappears! Planting roses strageticlly to keep people away from your property is an excellent idea. I try to buy the ones with the smaller thorns, the big thorns tend to snag my clothes or stick me while I'm working in the garden. The very reasons you planted them to keep people off your property. Enjoy your Latvian Dance and Song Festival on the radion - will you sing along?

Laura, I hope you're feeling OK after your infusion. Glad you got a workout in first. My grandmother loved gladiolus. She lived on a farm and my grandfather plowed a big area for her every year which she planted in flower, mostly gladioulus. She had them in a variety of colors, the ones I loved the best were the deep purple ones. I like irises too - there's so many different types and colors. I never have good luck with bulb plants though, I don't know why because most people think they're easy.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 08:30 AM  
Vantreesta

We spent the wknd with my FIL and stayed an extra day bc Saturday we went to a new Ren fest in ND. It was fun. Very small and very few vendors so I didn't buy anything, which is pretty much unheard of. No workouts Fri-Mon except toe yoga and some dog walks on Fri and Mon. Back at it yesterday. I'm starting to work on Halloween crafts!

Tue 8/16 170 minutes
12 minutes (from 2 sessions toe yoga)
10 minutes (from J. Reppel 10 Min. Shoulder & Thoracic Spine Mobility | Follow Along, No Equipment | Back Pain Relief, YT)
24 minutes (from PT strength exercises + stretches)
22 minutes (from J. Dunne Kinetic Revolution 30 Day Challenge to Transform Your Running stage 1 day 4)
38 minutes (from C. Johnson ChaLEAN Extreme Burn Circuit 2)
17 minutes (from Yoga With Bird -Beginner's Everyday Yoga Full Body Stretch | 30 Day Yoga Challenge 2022 | DAY 12, YT) 1st time
47 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.97 mi)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 08:36 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

More putzing planned for today. I'll be taking a walk at a park also - yesterday, friends came along . I'm collecting financial statements for a meeting I'm having with the co-op people tomorrow - have to show the finances that I have to live there - not a problem. At least I don't have to show an income below a certain point like some places I've run across (I don't qualify for low income housing). Trying to remember logins and passwords for all of these accounts is a pain in the butt - I've been shut down from trying online for several of these places - sigh...

The radio show last night was good - it was a concert that I hadn't gotten to, so cool that I was able to listen to it! Unfortunately, I don't see a link to the audio feed to share here... Found one! https://www.yourclassical.org/story/...dance-festival

Laura, I'm glad you're happy with the new church and it's availability via feed. Do you think the feed will continue even as Covid declines? I think something like that is nice for others to hear a service - my Latvian church is doing that right now also. I listen in every once in a while instead of heading to downtown for the service (it's got video also) and I can watch it in my PJs . I like irises also! I've got some traditional and some Siberian irises, but the traditional ones didn't bloom much this year (one flower, about ten plants).

Paula, No, I didn't sing along - I used to sing back in high school and college, but now just sound like a croaking frog - my voice range has died back significantly. I'm definitely not the soprano I used to be. The songs were new compositions, not traditional folk songs. Cool that your grandma grew gladioli (is that the plural?) - I've never grown them, but buy the blooms at farmer's markets. They are ones that you have to dig up for winter here - do they survive in the ground in CA?

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 07:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today went by quickly. I wrote a number of notes. This is the time of year I send notes to the grand nieces and nephews to encourage them as they start back to school. Today, I got the first batch written. (There's about 10-11 that I have a connection with and those are the ones I write.) This afternoon, I took DH to his PT appointment and dropped in on the chiropractor. This evening, I'm catching up on the computer.

Anita - Yeah, I think this church will continue streaming their services. They do a good job and have sunk some money into doing it well. In the past couple of years, I've dropped from an alto to a low alto/tenor.

Paula - Oh yeah! I LOVE gladiolas, too. I forgot about those. We had a batch of them in our yard in Maryland as well. How did they become such a funeral flower? I slept 9 hours last night after my infusion. This morning, on one level, I had lots of energy. On another level, I was dragging some - and that was the aftermath of the infusion.

Vantreesta - I'd say it's good that you didn't buy anything unless that made you sad? What Halloween crafts are you doing this year?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-17-22, 08:30 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 9 Stretch, a neighborhood walk and Travis Eliot 10 minute Yin Yoga.

DH went to the hangar and I went shopping. I bought two purses, brought them home and tried them out and naturally neither is going to work for me so they both will be returned.

Vantreestra, welcome back. I hope the Ren fest in ND was worth the drive. I checked out the video on Toe Yoga - I was impressed. I haven't tried to do it yet because working my toes independently seems like a pipe dream. I am going to try it though, I'm just gearing myself for total failure. Are you setting out your Halloween stuff or are you making new items?

Anita, isn't it frustrating when you can't get into your accounts. I write down passwords for everything but it seems like when I need to access the site I'm routinely told my password is wrong or needs to be reset or something. I'm in constant frustration with it. I belong to the Choice Hotels Reward program, the hotel we're going to stay at in SLO is a Choice Hotel, can I get into their system to be sure I get any benefit associated with my stay - nope. I tried their 800 number but turned out to be an endless phone tree where you can't actually get to talk with a representative. Sigh. I used to enjoy singing but my voice sounds like a croaking frog now too, I do enjoy singing when I'm alone though. I don't see gladioilus growing in CA. My grandmother lived in New York and yes, she and my grandfather had to dig up the bulbs each fall. She stored them in the root cellar and planted them again in the spring.

Laura, what a sweet tradition to write to each of the nieces and nephews to encourage them for the new school year. Honestly doing something like that has never occurred to me. I think gladiolus got to be used for funerals because you have multiple blooms per stem and they last a long time. Of course the same is true of orchids but then they are funeral flowers too and more expensive. Glad you got good sleep after your infusion and weren't dragging so much you couldn't do what you wanted to do.
Old 08-18-22, 08:01 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I didn't see Vantreesta's post yesterday - we must've been writing at the same time! Today is Carcassonne day! After that I have to go out to the co-op office and show them my finances so I qualify for living there (not a problem). I'll stop for groceries, stop to donate some jewelry at a charity shop, and give my friends a ride to the airport for their trip to Europe. Kind of a busy day!

Vantreesta, cool that you went to the Ren Fest in ND! I'll be going to the MN one on the 27th, if the weather is good - my friends from Milwaukee will be with me and they love to go! I've got a few things I'm looking forward to stocking up on at the fair! What type of Halloween crafts do you do?

Laura, cool that you send notes to your family kids to encourage school! I never got a letter to encourage me about school, but I was always so excited school was starting! I just talked to Adelija on Messenger - it's been a year since she came here for her school year - she misses it! Sounds like you slept away the night!

Paula, glad you were still able to return those purses and hope you find a better option for your needs. Sorry you've had problems contacting your hotel - it sucks... My mother was the singer in our family - she did it because she loved it - she was always a bit off key in her singing - made it very memorable, but it was a sign of her happiness . I usually only stored my water lilies inside for winter, but now have a zinnia Adelija gave me that I'll need to dig up. Never tried gladioli...

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 08-18-22, 01:12 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I was going to fix some different stuff for us to have Mexican style bowls. The main thing I need to cook is a pot of black beans in the Instant Pot. You'd think that I'd be able to read a recipe, but apparently not. I put all the ingredients in the pot and THEN read the instructions on how to cook the beans in the Instant Pot (first time I've ever done this). I ended up picking the beans out of the pot and putting them in the Instant Pot for the equivalent of soaking them overnight. We ended up having something different for lunch and I'll try again for dinner. A saying in my family was and is, "Into every cook's life a few disasters must fall!" This wasn't a disaster, just a string of bad decisions and frustrations, but the saying still feels relevant...

This afternoon, I am going to the Minute Clinic at CVS to get my ears cleaned out in anticipation of going to Costco tomorrow to have my hearing checked. Other than that, the main thing I'm doing today is trying to cook.

We did decide to cancel our trip next week. DH has felt so desperately bad this week through the beautiful sunny days with high pressure we've had and next week we're supposed to have the possibility for storms every day, both here and where we are going. We think it will be a waste of time and money most likely. I'm disappointed, but think it's probably the right decision.

Anita - It's nice that you have the financial position that showing them your finances is not a problem. It seems incredible that Adelija came a year ago. It sounds like she may try to come back to the United States at some point? There's a lot she didn't get to see.

Paula - I'm sorry the purses don't work for you. Do you ever shop on Etsy? I was wondering if you have an account if you might find someone who can customize something that's close to what you need to exactly what you want? You can even search for local vendors and shop locally. Anyway, just a thought.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-18-22, 09:11 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 10 Cardio and Bodyweight Strength.

Nice day so we went flying. DH wanted to leave early before it got too hot so cut my workout a bit short.

Anita, sounds like you had a busy day, hope everything went well. I hope all went well with the co-op, I know how important that move is to you. My grandmother planted zinnias and glads together in her annual garden, she had to dig them all up in the fall before the snow started. I'm not surprised Adelija misses being with you - you treated her very well and she was certainly popular here. That girl had more friends than I ever did in high school. So is she home now? When does she start college in the UK? Was it fun talking with her on messenger?

Laura, I have made so many cooking mistakes by not reading the recipe through before I started, some disasters, some not so bad. I feel your pain. I didn't know the Minute Clinic at CVS would clean your ears. I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip for next week. I hope you can go another time. I've always been reluctant to purchase purses online. I bought that one on Amazon and had to return it. I tried that one only because returns are so easy on Amazon. Not sure how you return things on Etsy if they don't work out. I like to see and feel them. I really thought these would work, but when I got home and tried to get my "stuff" in them - nope just wouldn't work. What's up with putting card slots in a purse that are too small to hold cards? I ask you aren't cards, like credit cards, a standard size everywhere? Perhaps I'm just finicky - that's probably it, I'm sure my DH would say that's the case.
Old 08-19-22, 07:02 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yesterday was a busy day! Today, I have the WRC, but that's it. If it's not pouring out (Thank God for rain!), I'll take a walk.

Yesterday, no Carcassonne game happened - I went for a walk instead before heading to the co-op office - got that done before rains hit. All went well at the co-op office - I'll have no problems paying for the unit and living well! Afterwards, I stopped by the grocery store, and stopped by a charity at which I donated a bunch of cheap jewelry. When I got home I found a note from the city that an assessor would like to see the inside of my house - I called his number and he was just a few doors away, so he was able to stop by and look at my house. Afterwards, I took my friends to the airport for their trip to the UK for a month. Then I came home and relaxed. Whew! What a day!

Laura, I use canned beans - no problems cooking with them as they are just open and heat! I didn't know CVS could clean your ears! Nice to keep in the back of my mind - I don't think I'm having wax problems yet. Sorry you're not doing your trip . Adelija will be moving to the UK to go to university - she's currently applying. Hopefully that will work out, but I can see her visiting a number of countries to see friends she made through her program.

Paula, It's always fun talking to Adelija - she uses FB Messenger to communicate - it's cheaper than by phone for her. That's weird that your purse doesn't have standard card size slots. My Covid vaccination card is one that's a bit bigger than standard credit card size, but I've got nothing smaller, other than little store tabs you attach to your keys. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Waves to all!

Anita