Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-13-22, 07:41 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all! Sorry to be MIA the last couple of days -- Life conspired against me as far as workouts.

Today's Workout: Almost all the lower body segments from both sections of Margaret Richard's Good For You, plus my own warmup and stretches.

Am laughing at the website for my new Chuze Fitness gym -- in the "About" section it says how this location opened in September 2022! What? But I'll assume that means they are confident about opening their doors next month.

Paine: I've been doing mostly floor work for my lower body strengthening and it is helping, but I'm definitely reaching a point where I can use more challenge. I'm looking forward to using lower body weight machines at my new gym.

Margot: I'm sorry to hear about your drought situation. That's so hard to imagine for England. Where I live we've been under what feels like a permanent drought. Thank you for telling me about your experience with your shoulder. It gives me hope for my knee!

Cyana: I like my doctor a lot! And I get to keep him once I switch over to Kaiser Senior Advantage in October.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 09:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to say hello. I’ve been under the weather the last few days, I’ll be back when I’m fully recovered. Nothing life threatening, but some healing thoughts would be very welcome!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 08:20 AM  
Twigs

Happy Sunday!

It's been too hot to do anything except for an early morning walk. For the last two mornings, we've walked on another local Common with wonderful views into Wales and from there we've continued our walk in nearby woods. I may try some yin yoga this evening or yoga nidra, if I can muster up any energy!

Pam - Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. Sending healing thoughts your way and hoping you'll feel much better very soon. ((hugs))

Cyana and Sandra - It's been reported that for the first six months of the year, we've had the least amount of rainfall since 1976. There are hosepipe bans in some parts of the country but not here in the west as yet. We've still decided to do our part and water our veggies using watering cans instead of the hose. Luckily, we're living on a hill with natural springs, so the trees and plants are still managing to flourish. It looks as though we're getting some rain this week and cooler weather.

Paine - We are still hearing about people getting covid here too. Nobody is wearing masks anymore; the only exception is when you visit the doctor's surgery and I presume hospitals too. I guess this is our new normal now. How nice to have 3 parks near to your house. I love pelicans, we don't see them over here but I did see quite a few of them in Santa Barbara a few years ago.

Pat - I agree with what you say about Ellen. She'd look great with any colour hair. She has a radiance about her that you don't often see.

Waves Beth, Carolyn and anyone popping in today.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 09:27 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi all - it's turned out to be a hectic weekend here. We had a kitchen drain clog on Friday night that we couldn't fix ourselves...and yada yada yada, now we have a plumber coming today.

I did teach outdoor yoga at the brewery yesterday morning. We've had truly beautiful weather here the last several days, sunny and not so hot - in fact, right now at 10 a.m., it's only 57*F!

Margot, the heat wave in England is incredible; I hope you get some relieving rain soon. The reason why my lunch with my former boss was rescheduled to tomorrow is because she got covid! I do still see some masks in grocery stores, but not too many. Did you wind up doing Bernie or Kassandra the other night?

Pam, so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well! I hope it's nothing serious.

Sandra, maybe the lower body weight machines at the gym will help your knee even more.

cyana, beautiful weather here too; your bone broth sounds yummy! I think most schools tend to start earlier down south...although my niece goes to UVA and doesn't return for another few weeks. Classes start on the 29th, so most of the students are not back, although there are some, like athletes, RAs, etc. The one good thing about going back to work in August is easing back in somewhat.

Paine, I purchased several of Tamilee's videos (VHS) from Collage way back when; I think I had all the I Want Those... series. I am sure I would not enjoy them as much today either!

Pat and Paine, I had to look up a photo of Ellen with gray hair - yes, she pulls it off well! I'm glad that the pandemic has allowed women to be more natural. I actually think that in most of our lifetimes, we've gotten a skewed view of what looking "older" or at certain ages looked like because virtually every woman was dyeing their hair from around age 40 on!

I actually stopped tying mine pre-pandemic. I was doing it more to play with color, not for gray, as I only had a few stray grays here and there back then. Now I have a lot more but am probably still only about 10-15% gray. Since my hair is super fine and the gray hairs are coarse, I am working on taming them, mostly with deeper conditioning than I used to do. I am hoping that when it's all grown in, I will look like Ellen or one of the other fabulous gray-haired women out there!

I'm signed up for a yoga and guitar class at the studio; hoping that the plumbing issue doesn't interfere with me going.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 09:56 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Stretch + Relax (Rejuvenate practice)

Jessica's Rejuvenate practice is my favorite from her Stretch + Relax DVD.

Pam, I hope you feel better soon! I'm sending you lots of love and healing energy. It's not like you to be sick. Have a cup of tea and do some Yin Yoga.

Margot, I like hearing about your lovely walks.
My DH and I still wear masks when we go to the grocery store. Most people do not wear masks but my DH is immunocompromised so that's why we continue to wear them.

Beth, I hope your kitchen drain clog is an easy fix for the plumber.

Pat, I hope you are OK!

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 07:35 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

Today's Workout: The Upper Focus routine from Jessica Smith's Boost Metabolism + Muscle. Also did some major closet reorganization LOL!

Re masks, library staff has to wear them again after it being optional for a while. Masks are still optional for our patrons. Generally at the library and at grocery stores, etc. it seems to run about 50/50.

Yogapam: Hope you are feeling better soon!

Beth: I think the lower body machines at the gym make a logical next step. Obviously I can go heavier there than I can at home.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-22, 08:52 AM  
cyana

Moan Day condolences to all (including me ).

Can I engage in a food-related mini-rant of sorts? I don't know if anyone else has seen this: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/12/e...ntl/index.html . Three words - Just say no!!!!! I'm more than a bit concerned at all the meat-bashing articles that have been circulating the past six to twelve months, along with the promotion of heavily processed lab created genetically modified "veggie" burgers (including some that "bleed), as well as trying to convince us that we should be eating bugs. The save the environment spin is disingenuous, as regenerative/biodynamic agriculture can reduce carbon, and actually improve the land. I'm also concerned about Bill Gates and non-domestic entitles buying up massive amounts of US farmland. It would be accurate to say that his vision of farming is not in alignment with mine. You can do searches for White Oak Pastures and Will Harris for a great example of someone who went to college to study traditional agriculture and had an epiphany that he could do things so much better and his farm provides multiple jobs for his rural community. He's featured in multiple videos (including one on PBS). Here's a little snip from a longer video that's fairly old at this point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMQDKrnAt4 . This one promotes Whole Foods, but is short. Their website has a lot of information about their farm.

I'm a conscious omnivore, who mindfully sources my animal foods from farmers who raise their animals ethically, treat them humanely and practice organic standards. One of my uncles was a farmer, so I had a front row seat in how to farm with respect for the land and the animals. I nerd out on documentaries about farming, farmers and how to practice ethical farming and agriculture. If I had it to do over, I would've ditched a traditional career and suburban living and had a small farm out in the country. I'm a bit jealous of young couples who have taken that route and enjoy watching their videos on YT. I suspect I would've had to find a new husband had I taken that route - we're the exact opposite of Lisa and Oliver on the old sitcom Green Acres - I would've been out on the tractor and DH would've spent every waking hour trying to figure out how to get back to the city!

I know several of you are vegetarians and vegan and I respect that choice 100%. I love veggies and a good veggie burger, but I want that burger to be made from real veggies and not loaded with chemicals, GMO's, and patented "blood". I dabbled with vegetarianism as a young adult and my body said "This isn't working for me." My triglycerides, which are perfectly normal even as an old geezer were elevated when I did my veggie experiment, for the only time in my life. I also wonder if eating those processed soy products pushed my thyroid over the edge, as I was diagnosed w/hypothyroidism several years later.

To get back to the beloved avocado, I've seen documentaries that point out multiple problems - Mexican cartels extracting money from the avocado farmers, large farming entities clearing swaths of land for monocropping in areas where they're exhausting the available water supply - leaving the local population to truck in water for drinking and bathing.

I've always said that I plan to be a political activist when I retire, and you can bet that innovative/regenerative/biodynamic farming, supporting small farmers, quality food and health will be at the top of my list of causes to support and advocate for.

Thanks for indulging my rant! I see the impacts of poor health/poor diet every single day in my work and am massively disheartened at the lack of efforts to teach medical people meaningful nutrition and provide proper education for our population. And the fact that most of the US agriculture budget goes to commercial interests and commodity crops that aren't even used to feed humans.

Back to my organic/biodynamic coffee now!

Lee's back from his vacation, so hopefully I'll be doing a live class today. I'd like to try Ellen's Essentrics class, as well.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-22, 09:07 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I actually appreciated your rant! I would like to say I'm a conscientious omnivore, but I'm nowhere near at your level, so maybe semi-conscientious. I was just reading yesterday to try to figure out if there was a more conscientious way to dispose of food waste (I'd love to start composting but would have a hard sell to DH on that). When I was reading, I came across a notion that's very similar to your rant - i.e., many "eco" products are just contributing to consumerism, and what we should really be doing is not be searching for eco stuff but be using LESS of everything.

I think you would also like this book I just read, American Detox: The Myth of Wellness and How We Can Truly Heal. I found the author a bit heavy-handed, but I didn't really disagree with anything she was saying. I am writing a review for Metapsychology Online that I will submit soon.

As far as the joys of home ownership goes, our clog did get fixed. I feel less guilty about causing it with the garbage disposal (which is why I was looking at other food waste disposal options) because it turned out to be a bigger problem - the plumber said that much of our piping wasn't really laid correctly by the builder, and so we had this HUGE backup in the basement that would have caused an issue eventually! Given that, it's good thing we had someone out who fixed the leak and corrected the issue, though unfortunately we lost 3 basement ceiling tiles in the process (we have extra, but they are a PITA to replace). So combined with the AC issue we had last week, this had turned out to be a pricey 10-year house anniversary for us.

(I know that I still call it our "new" house at times, but can you all believe that we moved here in August 2012?)

Oh, Happy Monday! I'm off today but it's my last scheduled 4-day week, although we do have our mini-trip coming up later this month, and I'm off Labor Day.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-22, 09:53 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jessica's Gentle Yoga Plus Pilates (pilates Floor Flow workout)
Jackie's Essentrics class

Cyana, I agree with you that some of those veggie burgers sold at various places are full of crap and unhealthy. It's best to make your own veggie burgers so you know exactly what is in them.

Beth, I can't believe you have been in your "new" home that long! Time does go by fast.

Pam, I hope you feel better today.

I'm thinking about Pat too!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-22, 11:37 AM  
cyana

Back again with a 12 minute video from a gorgeous cottage garden in MN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_XeRRNocQ

And here's a 10 minute "silent" garden tour video - no narration, only bird and nature wounds. Lots of wonderful shady plants. This one is in RI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4yhD8hVNQI

I'm taking a brunch break from the work computer and indulging my Need for Green and Dirt via YT videos while sipping on a cup of chickpea miso.

I'm SO ready to be retired!

Beth - The food propaganda drives me nuts, as we've tried to tell people to "eat the perimeter" of their grocery store - where one typically finds the produce and less processed foods. We also tell people not to buy food with labels, but yet these heavily processed fake foods have lengthy ingredient labels. Composting is on my list, too, but I admit to having put that aside after the raccoons did so much damage to our house earlier this year. I'm hoping to have some heavy brush/foliage cleared from the back of our lot and then I'll look at some sort of composing system. There are numerous options, but I don't want something the raccoons and squirrels can chew through.

Paine - I'm still looking for that holy grail of veggie burger recipes. I've given up on trying to find a commercially available veggie burger. I'll read the label and think I've found it, and then I'll see soy, gluten or some mystery ingredient that I'd prefer not to eat. I shall persist in my crusade!

Pam - I hope you're feeling better.

I saw our osprey chick at the nest late yesterday afternoon, making a huge ruckus. I suspect he/she was trying to get mom or dad to bring him dinner.

Waves to ALL. Need to get back to work soon.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, kassandra reinhardt