Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-23-22, 10:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

{{{Beth}}}, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 11:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Oh Beth, I’m so sorry! (((Hugs))) & condolences to you and your family.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 08:06 PM  
JustSandra

Finally back on track with

Today's Workout: Various lower body segments from Margaret Richard's Good For You, plus my own warmup and stretches.

Beth: I'm so sorry about your loss. My condolences to both you and your DH.

Paine: Thanks for asking about my retirement fitness plans. I do have lots of ideas, including a regular morning long walk. I'm thinking about joining a gym (Chuze Fitness) opening near me this fall. It has a $10/month option, and I am interested in their lower body weight machines and their cardio equipment. I would also like to sometimes go to my niece's yoga classes -- she's been teaching for years and I've never made it!

The tub cut-out is great -- my knees really appreciate it. And while a total bathroom remodel would have been lovely, I am very happy with Plan B.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 08:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thank you all. I may have mentioned here before that DH's mother had MS, and she had been in declining health over the past few months in particular. Still, the end is always sudden, isn't it? But I think she would have preferred that to a nursing home or some other possibility.

Since I was unexpectedly home today, I tried a HDM workout from YouTube - I managed 55 minutes of what was 75, I think. I will attempt the rest tomorrow!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:39 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today was…
~A neighbourhood walk & lots of functional fitness cleaning & organizing, I cracked through 10,000 steps
~Gilad’s Quick Fit: Arms & Shoulders

Beth - As someone who worked in hospice & long care for years, I totally get that your MIL would prefer this. And yes, death is sudden even if it’s expected. Thinking of you, your DH, & his family. I hope the good memories will bring some comfort.

Sandra - Your retirement plans sound great, especially attending your niece’s yoga classes. I’m glad you’re pleased with the bathroom reno.

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 07-24-22, 08:39 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone. I forced myself to move yesterday. Honestly if one puts their mind to it one can do it. I just having been flexing my mind muscles. Anyway:

~ Ellen's 7-Day Challenge Day 4 - Quick Cardio
~ Kassandra Morning Yin Full Body Stretch (with Cleo)
~ 4,221 steps

Beth, in what ways had the MS affected your MIL? Did any of the modern medications help her? Sending hugs to you and your DH.

Sandra, how exciting to be almost to the big day! The gym sounds good, especially for $10 monthly. I really love having access to weight machines. I'm so happy the tub cutout is working for you.

Good morning to Pam, Paine and anyone who visits today.
Old 07-24-22, 09:24 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, glad to hear your "Plan B" worked out so well!

Pam, yes, I'm sure you can understand! We did know things were getting worse, but this recent situation developed quickly. I'm really glad DH & I went to see his parents 4th of July weekend, as I hadn't seen his mom for awhile before then.

Pat, in many ways she was lucky! She was diagnosed with MS in college, and she dropped out of college and got married - they had no idea back then (early 1960s) what her prognosis would be like. But she had DH's older sister, DH 2 years later (1968, same as me), and then his twin sisters 5 years after that - pretty busy for any mom, let alone one with a chronic health issue! When DH was younger, he said the main manifestation of his mom's MS was that she would take naps every day, but otherwise, she did all the things. When I first met her in the early 1990s, she would wear a brace on her leg at times. His parents moved to a ranch house in the mid-1990s because it was harder for her to go up stairs; she stopped driving around then, and she was using a walker at times. At first she was only using a wheelchair occasionally, but I know that when we got married in 2003, she was using the wheelchair full-time. Since then, her fatigue increased further and her ability to use her limbs decreased. Her cognitive abilities were also more limited (she had particular trouble following conversations in large groups, like during holidays), but she still did the crossword puzzle every day (and more recent she and his father did Wordle together), and she was 79, pretty impressive for an MS patient! Some of the meds did help her with her symptoms - she even had very mild chemo at one point, which helped as well - but nothing worked miracles. If you wanted any specific info, feel free to message me.

When I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (which is pretty much a daily thing now, haha), I noticed that my triceps were really sore! Funny that Hamelin's little movements could do that, whereas I never felt very sore from the Cee workouts I was doing. I'm going to try to do the rest of the HDM routine today plus maybe some barre and a little yoga (my back is also a bit sore, but I think that's poor sleeping/the general stress of the past few days).

Here is the HDM routine on Vimeo that I did (most of) yesterday:
https://vimeo.com/345547175

And here is a short Barre3 routine also on Vimeo that I did on Friday:
https://vimeo.com/230507285

I also recently enjoyed this 30m Barre3 routine I found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Y0...ist=WL&index=1

Hope everyone is doing well this weekend; thank you all (including lurker Donna) for all the support and goodwill.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-24-22, 09:47 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Beth - Your MIL sounds like an amazing woman. She sure led a productive life, and for her to function that well for that long with MS is exceptional. Thanks for the links, that HDM workout sure is loooong!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 07-24-22, 10:28 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, I only did part of the HDM workout mainly due to the length - I could have gone on, but I was hungry and had to go to the bathroom.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-24-22, 01:53 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Beth, your MIL lived life with MS to the fullest. She sounds like a very strong and independent woman. Ending such a life in a nursing home would have been so cruel after living her best life with an autoimmune disease for so long, on her and the family both.