Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-19-22, 06:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today went quickly. I had an appointment at Costco this morning, so no YMCA. I went for a check-up with my hearing. The past few months, something changed and I've had a harder time hearing conversation and in a noisier environment. Basically, the patterns of my hearing were basically the same, but the level of my hearing had dropped. So, I'm going from one hearing aid (just the left) to two of them and the new ones are a bit more robust than the one I've used for the past 6 years.

This afternoon, DH and I hung out. It was a nice quiet afternoon and he felt better enough to connect more.

I've gone to the Minute Clinic at CVS multiple times for my ears. I used to check "Other" from the list of medical options they offer. This last time, cleaning wax out of ears was actually on the list. To me, it's the easiest option I have.

Paula - Yeah, that was what I was trying to say. Etsy lets you do a search on an item and then filter the search results to see if there are any vendors local to you. My question was if you could find someone locally who could customize it some who you could pick it up from. It's a slim chance, and I didn't know if it would be worth trying.

Anita - You did have a busy day! It's great that things worked out so easily with the city assessor. I'm glad that buying into this co-op is going to give you options for living the life you want afterwards.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 08:12 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 11 Moderate Weights and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Just a putter day for me. DH went to the hangar and I did stuff around the house and got some work done on the quilt.

Anita, Glad everything went well with the Co-op people. I have never had an assessor want to see the inside of my home. I've heard of this happening after people have done major remodeling or adding an addition to the home. I'm assuming this is for property tax? Here unless you make major changes your property tax is always tied to the purchase price. I always use canned beans too. As for the purse, I have something that's kinda working, I went digging through my stash of old purses and found one that I pressed into service. It's looking rather beat up, but it's working for now so I can take my time finding "the one".

Laura, sorry your hearing has deteriorated and you need to change your hearing aids. I will check out Etsy. I've never used it so I didn't know how it worked.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 08:23 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Pretty quiet day planned till evening - I'll probably go for a walk this morning - hopefully rains will hold off this morning. Then putzing - if the grass is dry, I'll mow it. Tonight there's a show at my circus celebrating 10 years of existence! I was one of the first students there! Looking forward to it!

Laura, how did your hearing testing go? I heard hearing aids are going OTC more than before, so should be cheaper and easier to get as well as having some new tech features. I'm hoping I'll be able to see the co-op they are currently building near their office to be able to decide how much light, carpeting and little features I want in the place (shower door instead of curtain, extra ceiling lights, extra outlets, lights under my upper kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans, painting, etc.). I do like having the choice to personalize this unit - lots more than inheriting an existing unit in co-ops and condos that now exist. I also like that I'll be looking forward to this probably in spring of 2024, instead of selling and moving within a few weeks here!

Paula, yeah, I did have an assessor come through after my house renovation in 2016 - nothing since then and they've confirmed that now. They did a lot less intensive exam of my house than before (counted fire alarms). My house value for taxation went up quite a bit after my renovation - I think it will stay about the same. I've donated lots of my purses and bags as they just sat in my closet. I've got one for fancy nights out and a functional cross body bag for fairs or shopping, if needed. Mostly I just live with my wrist wallet. I've not bought anything off Etsy yet other than alpaca dryer balls, but there's a lot of cute stuff on there!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 06:37 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today has been a quiet day. We've hung out mainly. I did go to the library to return books/ pick up books this afternoon. And I did write a note or two.

Paula - I did a search on Etsy on the home page for "purse backpack". After I got the results back, I went up to All Filters and scrolled down to the section labeled Shop Location. I typed in the Custom field "Los Angeles, California". When I clicked on a specific product, I scrolled down and on the right side a ways down, it gives the location. There were a couple that ship from India or China, but most of the products were somewhere in the LA area. You'd probably be able to narrow down the geographic area better than I given that you live there. I don't know if you'd be able to find one you like by someone near you, but you can message any seller (by scrolling down on the product page and clicking the link on the right side) and ask about customizations and even if you can meet up with them, if you would want that option. This is all just my wild idea that you might be able to get something that works for you if you can find someone to take your preferences into account. Do with this idea what you want.

Anita - I didn't realize that you were involved that early with the circus. I would have guessed it was older. My hearing test went well. I ended up ordering two hearing aids to replace the one I have now. They are similar, but more powerful, and I'm pleased with that. Costco has had the cheapest costs for hearing aids for a long time. Compared to getting them other ways, it is astounding how much less they are. It's great that you can customize your unit. Those are "small" things are the kinds of things that make a place somewhere you love to live because it fits you.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 12:31 AM  
Vantreesta

Halloween crafts--I have so many craft ideas! Thank you Pinterest and YouTube! I have a mummy wreath started, planning a Beetlejuice one. I bought pool noodles to make a candle thing with tea lights. I may do a skull topiary with that too. I want to do a little skeleton party scene and some haunted houses. I also saw a tutorial on making corn maze for my village, which I've wanted to do for a long time but didn't know how. I have bought so much stuff from Dollar Tree and just need to spend time time actually putting things together.

Singing--I love to sing and dance but don't do either one as often as I'd like. I was a first soprano in like 8th grade and by the time I finished HS I was an alto. I have no idea how I sang soprano! Anyway, I can still carry a tune but I've never had an exactly pleasant voice. My mom loved to sing too. It broke her heart when the ALS took that away from her and she had to stop singing in the church choir.

Laura, I love that you send cards to your nieces and nephews for the start of school. I'm so terrible. One of my nephews graduated from HS the end of June and I finally just got his gift card on Wednesday and it's still sitting on the counter with his card that I bought in April! I made burrito bowls for the first time a couple weeks ago. Hubby was not impressed. To be fair I didn't realize I had REFRIED black beans instead of just black beans. He thought they were disgusting. I thought they were fine, but not in the bowls. I liked the bowls and would do them again but plan for them. They were a whim bc I had cilantro left from smthg else and decided I wanted cilantro lime rice. I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. I know how disappointing it is when that happens. Hope you get to take it at a later time.

Paula, I've been trying to do toe yoga twice a day. I can do the one where you set the little toe down first and then each in succession but I can't get it the other way with the big toe down first! In Jill Miller's Yoga Tune UP DVD feet and ankles section she says you can use your hands to start out to teach the toes what to do. So every few days I'm trying to do 10 reps of that one since it seems impossible! MY FIL only lives about an hour from the ND Ren fest so it wasn't bad at all since we were already up there to see him. I'm not setting any decorations out yet, just crafting new things, some of which I've had ideas for for a couple years now. Your purse saga sounds frustrating! I hope you can find the right one, Ms. Goldilocks.

Anita, glad you got to message with Adelija. I can't imagine how quiet it got around your house when your social butterfly went home! We went to the Ren fest today and had a good time. I may be there the 27th too! Wouldn't it be funny if we crossed paths and never even knew it? There are quite a few empty booths this year, which made us sad. So glad your financial meeting with the co-op was an easy one. It has to feel good to know you're prepared in retirement. I've always wondered, what is the circus you talk about?

I need to get to bed. We were up at 5:50 to get ready and get to fest on time so it's been a long day! But I always seem to miss posting before the new week's thread goes up so I thought I would try tonight! All my other threads are monthly (or one is quarterly-ish) so I tend to forget this one is weekly.

Workouts have been:
Wed 8/17 137 minutes
12 minutes (from 2 sessions toe yoga)
8 minutes (from B. Johnson Heart & Bones Yoga -Yoga for Thoracic Spine (mini class), YT)
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT)
8 minutes (from C. Jordan No Impact Foot, Calf, and Shin Strength Exercise Video, YT)
28 minutes (from 2.16 mi for 10k trainer wk3 day2/Zombies Run S3M56)
20 minutes (from M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory)
48 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.41 mi)

Thu 8/18 36 minutes
24 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.79 mi)

Fri 8/19 140 minutes
7 minutes (from DanceFitUniversity -DJBaddmixx HALLOWEEN WarmUp, YT) 1st time
10 minutes (from J. Valant Thoracic Mobility Exercises - For Posture and Back Pain Relief!, YT)
11 minutes (from B. Bowman GuerrillaZen Fitness 10-min Knee Stability Routine for Bulletproof Knees, YT)
6 minutes (from H. Estrada Aztec Athletics -5-Minute Calf Plyometric Workout for Runners, YT)
8 minutes (from C. Jordan No Impact Foot, Calf, and Shin Strength Exercise Video, YT)
28 minutes (from 2.19 mi for 10k trainer wk3 day3)
20 minutes (from M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory)
38 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.42 mi)

Sat 8/20 56 minutes REN FEST--over 12k steps!
44 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.75 mi)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote