Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-03, 11:28 PM  
Raquel13
VF Supporter

My "article" on vidiocy

My friends and I started a sort of writing group and one of my first "articles" was a piece extolling the joys of vidiocy. I just wanted to share it with you guys, too. (And yes, I did plug VF).

vidiocy

I'm about to expose the extent of my dorkiness, but that's OK. Anyone who knows me well enough is aware that I have myriad quirks and an impulsive drive to amass all kinds of things. Anything I have, I have a [crap]load of (for evidence, check out my library, my closet... or my Lego collection). My current obsession is... OK, here goes... fitness videos.

It didn't start in full force until about a year ago, but the seed was planted in my high school shoplifting frenzy days (don't worry, it was just a phase). My partners in crime and I jacked so much stuff, it became ridiculous. We would steal the most unnecessary things, like shaving cream and clothes hangers (I have tons of "What was I thinking?!?" moments; this is just one of them). One day, while on one such gaffling spree, I stuffed a Cindy Crawford workout video down my pants, took it home, used it a few times and then forgot about it.

OK, fast forward to a couple of years ago. My grandmother, who is exceptionally strong and agile for an 80+ year old woman but is slipping into dementia, bluntly asked me (with a smile), "How did it feel to get so fat? I've never been fat." Of course I knew my jeans weren't fitting me anymore, but I still felt a sort of shock to let myself realize how much weight I had gained. I decided to start working out. I hate gyms... the thought of other people's sweat grosses me out (yeah, I know people wipe the machines down after they use them, but just because they're dry doesn't mean they're not crawling with bacteria), plus I need privacy... so exercising at home seemed like a great idea. I busted out my Cindy Crawford tape, but quickly got bored doing the same workout over and over. I went online to see if I could find reviews on other videos and found videofitness.com. From there, I discovered a whole universe of fitness videos and let my impulsive shopping habits take over.

I've slowed down a lot recently, but for a while, my credit card was smoking from all the videos I ordered online. I currently own nearly 300 workouts on video and DVD (almost half of which I've never done). I also own a Reebok Step (which doubles very nicely as a weight bench), a set of dumbbells ranging from 3 to 12 pounds plus adjustable dumbbell handles, a barbell, a pile of weight plates, resistance tubing, strap-on ankle weights, a jump rope, a yoga mat, yoga blocks and yoga strap, a 13" Rubbermaid toolbox (which I use instead of the FIRM Fannylifter... oh, you know what a Fannylifter is don't you? Haven't you seen the infomercial?), a Rubbermaid garment rack ($20 at Walmart, as opposed to $200 for a real ballet barre), a Pilates ring, two medicine balls, a stability ball, a heart rate monitor, interlocking anti-fatigue mats (so I can pivot without torquing my knees), a rebounder (fancy name for a mini-trampoline), and a BOSU (don't ask).

I know that workout videos have a goofy image. You're probably envisioning Jane Fonda bouncing around barefoot in a shimmery day-glo leotard. But before you scoff, let me just say that videos have come a long way. Yeah, I have aerobic videos, but they're no different than joining a step class (even better, I have the option of rewinding if I get stuck on a move). I also have weightlifting videos that are pretty hardcore... I don't think that Jane Fonda ever curled a 45-pound bar in her videos. Plus I have tons of variety. I can do Pilates one day, powerlift the next day, and do yoga another day. Working out with videos is fun, versatile, convenient and effective... I managed to work my size 11 ass down to a size 7 (7 in jeans, 5 in a skirt, actually) without stepping a foot into a gym. It works for me. I don't think I would've gotten enthusiastic about fitness any other way.

If I've piqued your interest at all, check out www.videofitness.com. They have reviews, a forum, and plenty of advice on working out with videos.

And here's a fun recommendation: Old School Dance Party by Donna Richardson. It features live music by The Sugarhill Gang (yes, they are actually performing songs like "Rapper's Delight" and "White Lines" on a stage behind the exercisers) and the choreography goes back to my junior high days (remember the running man, the troop??? I could go on and on).

So there. Call me a dork if you want... I prefer "vidiot."

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Raquel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-03, 05:18 AM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

That was great, Raq!
You definitely have the writer's flair and believe me I related to what you said. I went from a few workouts to wall to wall shelves of them over the years and collected the equipment and so on. Do I regret it? Nope! Vidiot and proud of it!
Karen
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-03, 06:50 AM  
Thanya
VF Supporter

Great Article Raquel! Thanks for sharing

Take care,
Tanya
Thanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-03, 12:02 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Terrific, Raquel!

Not only did I greatly enjoy reading your story, but I am amazed at your great idea for a ballet barre!!!!

Thanks for posting; I think you could get a lot of people seriously interested in working out with that story. You should send it to some newspapers or magazines.

Since I just began Lotte Berk, and now want a ballet barre, I am going out and getting myself a garment rack!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-03, 12:55 PM  
countrygirl
VF Supporter

Raquel,

I loved reading the article! The writing was excellent. It made me think how blessed I am to be a vidiot!

You really know how to put working out at home in a fun, positive entertaining light.
Old 06-16-03, 02:24 PM  
natontrack

Loved your article, Raquel, you should really consider sending it in to maybe a fitness magazine, women's magazine or a just your local newspaper. Hey, Raquel, I noticed you are from Southern Ca, what part? It's nice to see so many vidiots near each other. Good Luck and keep us posted should you decide to submit your article. I would buy the magazine just to see your article there.
natontrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-03, 03:18 PM  
Chaos7023

Definitely send it out. Don't waste it on just us...you're already preaching to the converted here!
Chaos7023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-03, 03:42 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Vidiocy

I had a few good laughs at your article and mostly, I can relate to all of it. I too go through certain frenzies (shopping for videos/dvds and sneakers are my real passion) and to be honest, you sound just like me!

Oh yeah, got to go get a garment rack to go with my Lotte Berk before my Slim Series shows up or the new Cathes (thank goodness they are not coming till close to the end of the summer - I will have time to do all the others I will have ordered by then except the taebos which I probably never will get to). I only have about 4 workouts at most that I have not yet done (my husband makes sure of that by mentioning it if my videos are unopened).

Thanks for the reality check that I am indeed in good company with individuals I can relate to.
Sheila
Ctfitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-03, 05:46 PM  
Raquel13
VF Supporter

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm so glad you liked it! I just wrote this as sort of an exercise. My friends and I all decided to start writing, and I just chose a topic that was near and dear to my heart. Now, with your encouragement, I'm thinking about submitting it.

natontrack, I was just in Altadena yesterday! I live in Glendale and went hiking on the Sam Merrill trail, but didn't get to the peak (ran out of time... my brother had to get to work). I've been going hiking almost every weekend this spring/summer and always find new trails (it's a great place to live if you're a hiker... all the foothills!)

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Raquel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-03, 05:54 PM  
natontrack

Yes, it is. I do not go hiking quite as often as my husband, but I live in between three great hiking areas. I also enjoy seeing my neighbors ride their horses around the neighbor. Wow, Glendale is not far from me at all. I use to work in the La Crescenta area. I hope we keep in touch. Good Luck with submitting your article, I will be on the look out.
natontrack is offline   Reply With Quote