Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-19, 01:23 PM  
kat999

So jealous! I used to live a mile from work and would frequently do this when it wasn't too rainy or cold, but I've moved and now work remotely, so my "walk" to work is to stagger sleepily down the hall to my home office. The fitness benefit to this, of course, is that it's easier for me to fit in a workout in my home gym or outside and still get to work "on time," but knowing I would get in two miles every day without much effort was pretty sweet.
Old 06-28-19, 01:47 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I do a cross country commute and so recently got an apartment near my office for during the week and started walking to work. It's 1.2 miles each way (uphill on the way in). As I told my husband, there is no way to do this daily without getting more fit. And the mental benefits have been terrific. My walk home at the end of the day is literally my favorite part of the day.

I was worried that because of the walk to/from work, I wouldn't do any other exercise (though that wouldn't be the end of the world) but the opposite is true. Now that I've been doing this for about four weeks (and lost 3 pounds!), I'm finding that it energizes me so much that I am doing MORE other exercise.

I literally haven't touched my car for five days.

I know it is not an option for everyone, but if you can pull it off, I highly recommend.
This is great! I walk to work but since my gym and massage office are attached to the house the commute is about 30 seconds long.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 07:20 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'll be starting a job soon that is a couple of miles from home. It's not a great walk - suburban area along main roads and through parking lots - but I had thought about walking to sneak in some exercise. I think you motivated me to try it. Thanks!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 04:42 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'll be starting a job soon that is a couple of miles from home. It's not a great walk - suburban area along main roads and through parking lots - but I had thought about walking to sneak in some exercise. I think you motivated me to try it. Thanks!
My walk is pretty much all concrete and it’s totally fine.
Old 06-30-19, 05:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good to know. I just need to be sure that I have comfortable walking shoes and try it. i may need to take stuff with me like my training book (I teach software classes) and handouts, so I may also need a wheeled back to take with me. Added resistance!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-19, 07:04 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

This reminded me of how I used to walk to and from work decades ago. My job was less than a mile from my house but I walked there in the morning, home and back for lunch and then walked home at the end of the day. So over 3 1/2 miles a day. I was young and pretty thin to begin with but I lost even more weight with this regimen. Short walks throughout the day do add up.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-19, 04:38 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Getting a dog has been huge for my fitness! My black lab walks me and several other family members every day!
LOL!! My yellow lab does the same. She definitely walks us!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 08:43 AM  
Izzy

I walk to work as well. It's not that far but it's so nice. So much less stressful than driving or commuting.

My daughter lives in the city of Chicago. She walks 1 mile to the train, 1 mile from train to her office and reverses it. That's 4 miles a day. She is also a runner and runs every morning. I think people who live in the city(s) are just used to walking everywhere vs driving as parking can be such an expense and a nightmare if you can't find a space. So many people who live in city(s) stay in good shape for that reason alone. My son lives in the city as well and he bikes everywhere. He uses his car about 4x a year and always has to recharge his battery when he does.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 09:31 AM  
DCW

What a great way to have a daily built in exercise routine.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 02:48 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I bought a pair of black Pumas (all black didn't show up quite as starkly against my work clothes) and carry a backpack with my work shoes. I tend to wear either a sleeveless dress with a blazer or slacks and a tank with a blazer, so blazer also goes in the backpack until I get to work.

Jury is still out on how I'll do when it is dark in the morning and at night. So many other people have started walking as well, I think it will be fine though.

Tags
walking