Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-19, 03:44 PM  
MsThistlebottom

10,000 Steps a Day?

Good news for those of us with stressful desk jobs. Turns out that there's really nothing magical about that 10K number, and around 4K or 5K is beneficial too.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-steps-per-day

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 03:59 PM  
kat999

My mom and I discussed this study recently. She is an EXTREMELY avid stepper and tries to go well over 10K a day. But one thing she pointed out that I agree bears notice is that this study is looking primarily at longevity, not other health benefits, such as lowering blood pressure, blood sugar, or losing weight.

On the other hand, I noticed that in switching from a Jawbone (which counts steps more than anything else) to an Apple Watch (which counts multiple fitness modalities, not just steps) that I am much more focused on the quality of my exercise rather than a bit of an arbitrary designation of how many literal steps I'm taking. For example, I can do a very tough strength-focused workout, burn a TON of calories and get all kinds of exercise credits, yet barely take a single step. To say that I would then need to get at least 10K steps on top of that rigorous session is ridiculous, but that's what some fitness trackers would have me do.
Old 06-10-19, 04:05 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Good points. The article touches on this briefly and mentions that the study "didn't measure things that many of us do that don't require steps, things like gardening, swimming or biking. And it's safe to assume some women in the study were doing these other things that can influence health as well."

The takeaway for me that is that all activity is good, and even if you hit less than the magical 10,000 number, it's better than sitting all day. One thing I like about my Fitbit Inspire is that it nags at me to get up and move periodically.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old 06-10-19, 05:59 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
... For example, I can do a very tough strength-focused workout, burn a TON of calories and get all kinds of exercise credits, yet barely take a single step. To say that I would then need to get at least 10K steps on top of that rigorous session is ridiculous, but that's what some fitness trackers would have me do.
^ this!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 06:16 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
The takeaway for me that is that all activity is good, and even if you hit less than the magical 10,000 number, it's better than sitting all day. One thing I like about my Fitbit Inspire is that it nags at me to get up and move periodically.
Oh, absolutely. And AW does a similar reminder, which I very much appreciate. I think the bottom line is, try to exercise every day, get up and move every so often, and try not to sit all day every day. Do more if you can, because it will help with a variety of health issues.
Old 06-11-19, 08:26 AM  
Sara1000

Lately I have been doing the old FIRM workouts. To get 4400 steps I believe I would need to walk almost 2 miles, which would take me about 45 minutes, or the length of many of the workouts, like the Basics, Maximum Body Shaping, Boomers, FIRM Strength. I'm pretty sure these workouts would benefit me more than a 2 mile walk every day.

For a while I was walking about 30 minutes followed by 15 minutes of rotating strength training. Now I'm planning to do a FIRM workout one day and a walk on alternate days. Sound good?

I am 75 BTW
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 08:36 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
For a while I was walking about 30 minutes followed by 15 minutes of rotating strength training. Now I'm planning to do a FIRM workout one day and a walk on alternate days. Sound good?

I am 75 BTW
Sounds great! I'll be 66 next month, and you and other septuagenarians on VF inspire me to keep working out!

Old 06-11-19, 08:46 AM  
kat999

The active lives of VF-ers over 60 really inspires me to keep fit.
Old 06-11-19, 10:18 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
The active lives of VF-ers over 60 really inspires me to keep fit.
Thanks--that's really good to hear!

Old 06-11-19, 10:33 AM  
Harivelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Good points. The article touches on this briefly and mentions that the study "didn't measure things that many of us do that don't require steps, things like gardening, swimming or biking. And it's safe to assume some women in the study were doing these other things that can influence health as well."

60-year old here. I stopped focusing on doing 10,000 steps when I realized that many steps didn't translate into active minutes on my Fitbit Versa. I changed my main goal to reaching at minimum of 30 active minutes.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step count, steps per day, walking