Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-19, 04:54 PM  
Sara1000

Do you have walking goals?

I use the MapMyWalk app and set a weekly goal of 3.5 hours a week. I do this on top of any other workouts I do. I find this really motivates me - I don't want my phone to be disappointed in me!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 07:13 PM  
Betty Boop

Novice techie here. Do you just put your phone in your pocket when you go out and it does its thing? Thanks.
Old 04-21-19, 08:45 PM  
DCW

I find walking stress reducing. So my coworker and I aim to walk at lunch as much as possible.

Now that the weather is warm, I walk on the weekends too. No goals for walking but I want to do it as much as I can before summer heat and humidity makes it impossible.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 09:01 PM  
Sollamyn

I have goals I've set up with my Fitbit (250 steps an hour between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. plus a grand total for the day of 10,000 steps). My goal will include my workouts, but I'm still in the early stages of my fitness program. I'm taking baby steps, I guess, sort of. Many days I don't quite make my goals, but I'm improving every week and it's something to strive for.

Donna
Old 04-21-19, 09:26 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
Novice techie here. Do you just put your phone in your pocket when you go out and it does its thing? Thanks.
Yes. You start mapmywalk (free app), put it in your pocket, and go! It will show the route you took (with street names if on streets), how far you went, your average speed, how many minutes, and even how many steps.

You save it and it keeps a record of all your walks, where you went, etc.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 01:36 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I have an old Omron pocket pedometer and I aim for 10,000 steps a day.
Old 04-22-19, 05:53 AM  
weener
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I find walking stress reducing. So my coworker and I aim to walk at lunch as much as possible.

Now that the weather is warm, I walk on the weekends too. No goals for walking but I want to do it as much as I can before summer heat and humidity makes it impossible.
Same here...I walk by myself at work 45-60 minutes M-F in all weather except pouring down rain. With longer day light and warmer weather, I also walk on the weekends and sometimes after my scheduled workout, depending time. Love my walks 💚💚💚

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 11:45 AM  
ardnas

Every morning I do a 1 mile walk w/ DH, then after breakfast I do qi gong & other workout(s), then a 35min virtual active hike 4-5 days/wk.
Weekends if weather permits we walk one of the parks or forest preserves, 1-3 mile loops.
Twice a week I double mow (one direction then the other) the lawn with a manual reel mower for extra exercise.
I no longer use a pedometer and I got rid of my Fitbit, so I just do what feels good.
Old 04-22-19, 11:53 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Hubby and I walk 2.5-3 miles 6 days a week. I don’t have a goal, but I track with my Apple watch. He watches the Health app on his iPhone like a hawk, tracking his weekly, monthly averages, etc. After our morning walk, I do my actual workout.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 12:28 PM  
laurajhawk

I don't have walking goals, but I'm thinking about setting one. My Fitbit recently awarded me the "Monarch Migration badge": "Every year the monarch butterfly migrates 2,500 miles to warmer climates. With the same lifetime miles in your pocket, you're giving those butterflies some hot competition!"

I think I've had the Fitbit for about three years. So now I think I should set a goal to actually arrive in a warmer climate three years from now. Kinda' feel like I've wasted all those miles, y'know?

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking, walking apps