Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-17, 06:02 AM  
daisyduke

Doing more than one workout per day

I'm often tempted to do more than one workout per day. Right now I'm doing a firm rotation. So i do a 60 minute firm first thing in the morning and then I'm tempted to do one later in the day too. Based on your experience does this help you get to your goals quicker? Sometimes I feel like I'm too tired and not recovered. And sometimes I get sick easily because of it. Yet I'm still tempted. Any experience with this?
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 07:24 AM  
bubbles76

The only time I did two Firm workouts a day was when I was doing the Firm Express rotation. I would never attempt to work out longer than 70 minutes a day, including warm up, cool down, and thorough stretch, unless it was a relaxing yoga afterwards. I don't think beating yourself up twice a day every day (which sounds like what you're doing, if you feel like you're too tired or too sick or not recovered) is the way to get to your results faster. Sounds like a way to get set back . I know some people around here can do it with great results, but if that's not how your body works, don't risk it.

On the other hand, maybe you are not able to do it because you're not fueling properly before or after your workouts? I have no experience in this area, but I know Jeanne Marie has no problem pounding out multiple intense workouts a day. Maybe she will chime in.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 07:34 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I wouldn't do it. Your stressed body is telling you something.

If you really want more, go for a nice long walk - and a relaxed pace is fine and healthy!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 07:41 AM  
daisyduke

It seems like I can do two for awhile but then after a month or so I get worn down.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 07:50 AM  
PhyllisG

The Firm 90 day rotation calendar has 2 workouts a day for some of the days.
Example...a cardio workout and then a lower or upper body workout. Just not every day. They do list 5 Day Abs as a second or even third option at times.
Ex...Tough Aerobic Mix plus Lower Body Sculpting, plus 5 Day Abs.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 07:53 AM  
bubbles76

Yea that Firm rotation was the first that came to mind. Some people reported overuse injuries from it, or feeling very worn out. It's possible some people didn't fuel properly before or after each workout. OR that the weight selection was too much for some days. OR that their bodies just couldn't handle it. Not sure what results you're looking for, but if it's weight loss sometimes doing more, faster, harder, or longer just doesn't give lasting results.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 08:04 AM  
PhyllisG

I was much younger when I used this calendar. I did get great results but then I always did with the original Firms. It was a tough program.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 08:40 AM  
alisoncooks

When we get back from vacation (we leave tomorrow!), I'm going to start a 2-a-day rotation...but only as a way to fit in daily core/yoga. I don't think I could handle two actual/challenging workouts in a day.

ETA: perhaps you ask yourself what your goals are for adding the second workout? My goal is to increase flexibility/core strength, without sacrificing time dedicated to my strength workouts, hence adding a 2nd workout time. If your goals require a 2nd time, maybe fuel more like others have said. Recovery drinks or an extra meal? More sleep at night?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 09:14 AM  
BunnyHop

As others have said, I sometimes do multiple workouts a day, but it's not all strength all the time. My body probably wouldn't handle that well.

I get in some cardio/strength, flexibility, Melt Method Hand&Foot with maybe some time on the long soft roller. Some days I'll make a huge point of doing a lot of walking as I'm moving through my day.

If, after I've done all that and I still feel the need to do something, I tend to head for a bit of yoga or tai chi and wind down into some meditation time.
Old 05-06-17, 10:34 AM  
wendug

If you feel tired, don't do it. It's your body telling you it needs time to recover. I used to be able to do 2 workouts in a day, one before and one after work. But that was when I was younger and I wouldn't try that now. You gotta listen to your body to find what works for you.