Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-13, 10:03 AM  
Gams

I loved Jane's two step workouts - I wish she would release them on DVD. Not that the choreographing was so exicting, but I liked Laurel, Jeanne, Mark and Michelle.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 10:25 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Gin Miller's Step Reebok the video and Kathy Kaehler's Step video. Gin has another beginning step video, but I don't know it's title. Collage carries it.
Old 10-03-13, 10:35 AM  
Gams

I love Gin Miller's Step Reebok the video - I never bought it when it went on DVD, though. I need to get that one (while I still can).
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 10:37 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't know about this one, but the transfer of her Intense Moves workout to dvd wasn't that great. I almost wish I'd saved my vhs tape.
Old 10-03-13, 11:05 AM  
PrairieGem

I hadn't done step in about 10-15 years, until this summer when I picked up Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Cardio Blast DVD, which contains her workout "Athletic Step." It's not NO choreography, and the workout is moderate to intense (so by the end of it, using a low step, I was getting a little confused, just from being tired), but it's straightforward, not dancy, not meant to have a big learning curve. I felt like I had the moves down pretty well by the third time through.

I also have several Denise Austin step workouts that I used for a gazillion years. I think the only one on DVD is Ultimate Fat Burner, which is a 45-minute interval workout using weights and the step. If you have a VCR, Amazon still carries her Complete Step & Sculpt, which is probably my alltime favorite step workout, and Step Workout with the Reebok Step (there's a useful title. :b)

I now feel like I should buy those DA step videos, just because (I don't have a VCR anymore).
Old 10-03-13, 11:59 AM  
msladybug

Gin Miller - Everybody Steps

IMO this is the easiest of them all.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 01:55 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Gin has something called Step Reaction. It is cheap (or it was, I hope she still has it).

It is the same 15-minute basic step workout but at three different speeds. Very nice little step DVD for a primer and a way to build up the speed easily.

And yeah, after I realized I was not going to accomplish Cathe's nonbasic, I was very happy with Jane and Cher and Gin. Kathy Smith also does some nice step.
Just found Kathy Kaehler in the last month or so. I loved it.
In fact, I think I will go do it now!

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 02:41 PM  
Indy

Well, I really love step and I love any of Amy's Advanced Step Challenge workouts but she doesn't cue or break any of it down all that well. Not sure if she has a separate section to break it all down for you in the first dvd - (in subsequent ASC's she teaches the most difficult moves slowly). So I agree with the advice not to start with that one.

Kari is an excellent instructor and breaks it all down and cues extremely well so much so that I find her a little boring now. But I learned my most challenging choreography via her workouts so I just love her. Christi is also a fun, likeable and good instructor but some of her stuff is very advanced. Step Heaven is not something to start with.

I'm not sure if you are a complete beginner or if you are trying to learn more difficult choreography. If you are a beginner do try the basics with a Gin Miller workout. It will beyond simple but you need the basics in order to do more.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 02:51 PM  
Saffie J

Thank you all so much for all of your help, I really appreciate the responses. I'm off to try one now and will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I have an extra copy of a Cathe Basic Step.
I got one with my little bitty Cathe step back in the day.
A kind VFer gave me one with a different format that I like better.
PM me your address if you want it.
Be warned, after finally mastering this thing I had delusions of step-ability. Alas, it was not to be.
I can do the cardio requirements of step DVDs; but when they are choreographed in such a way as to require either coordination or total lack of fear of falling on my face, I am out.
Paideiamom, thank you so much for such kind offer, I really appreciate it but as I live in Australia I think the postage costs would be too high.

I think I might have the same problem with the choreography - I tried a few classes last year at the gym and went well for the first part of the classes but had to walk out when the choreography got too hard (at least with DVD I can do something else if it gets too hard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I loved Jane's two step workouts - I wish she would release them on DVD. Not that the choreographing was so exicting, but I liked Laurel, Jeanne, Mark and Michelle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I love Gin Miller's Step Reebok the video - I never bought it when it went on DVD, though. I need to get that one (while I still can).
Gams, would either of these be the Jane Fonda and Gin Miller's that you don't have on DVD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWEKWk_UagU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHT2JQeYJ2w

Again, thank you to all for the replies.
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 02:54 PM  
Saffie J

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
...I also have several Denise Austin step workouts that I used for a gazillion years. I think the only one on DVD is Ultimate Fat Burner, which is a 45-minute interval workout using weights and the step. If you have a VCR, Amazon still carries her Complete Step & Sculpt, which is probably my alltime favorite step workout, and Step Workout with the Reebok Step (there's a useful title. :b)...
Denise Austin step was my first fitness "video" purchase, possibly 20 years ago now. I didn't even have a real step, I used one that my Dad made me out of wood. I can't remember the name of it but remember that I really enjoyed it at the time. I've tried to find a copy online or on DVD but sadly no luck.
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic step, step