Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-13, 03:21 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Cathe's Party Rockin' Step #1

If you like choreography, this workout is a lot of fun! It also pretty complex. Since I've been doing Cathe step workouts since the early 90's I am pretty used to Cathe step moves and even when cueing is bad, muscle memory usually takes over. But she really mixed things up with this and there are some moves she has never done before. I loved it! (But some will hate it for that reason. ) I actually had to rewind a few times (my remote has a jump-back 30 second feature, which I used at least 4 or 5 times.) I actually never really got the 6th combo and decided to save it for later. The 5th combo was very complex but super fun.

Like most Cathe step workouts, the cueing is not great, and the teaching of the moves weak. There is very little breakdown. There are 7 combos if you include the warm-up and you do all of that in 40 minutes. The workout is longer, because she puts it all together at the end a few times.

I cannot tell you about the music really because I was really focused on trying to follow the moves. I'm sure it was good and I will appreciate it once I am more comfortable with the choreography.

The impact was pretty low, and the intensity was moderate. I can't say for sure because I'm fighting a cold right now and my perception may be off, but I felt like it could be a bit more intense than some of her other lower impact step workouts. That is because you are really moving around the step quite a bit. It certainly isn't as intense as Step Blast or an IMax, but I think it will be a good moderate workout for me.

This one is definitely for people who love more complex step workouts, so not for everyone, but I think this is her most fun step in a while.
Old 10-02-13, 03:26 PM  
alydinva

I agree that it was a lot of fun. I attended the Road Trip this past summer and she previewed the 5th combo there, so I was able to get that one pretty quickly. Otherwise, I think that I would have spent a lot of time on that one!
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 08:39 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Just wanted to add that I really wanted to do this step workout again today. I didn't but I wanted to.

That is rare for me. I know this workout will frustrate a lot of people but it really engaged me in a way step hasn't for a while.
Old 10-07-13, 08:32 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I just finished this one and I liked it! It was harder than I thought it would be. I think the music was set to a higher beat per minute.

Other thoughts: good music. I am really enjoying the music in this series so far. Who can't like a little Earth Wind and Fire even if the lyrics are changed?

I like how she mixed combos from past step videos. I didn't really have too much trouble with any of the combos, but then again I like and can do complex choreography.

I got a great workout and it was definitely FUN! A keeper IMO!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 09:00 PM  
lisa122

I just received my dvds today, and this was the one I tried this afternoon. I it. I am sure I had a big, goofy smile on my face the whole workout.

Lisa
lisa122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 09:28 PM  
mmis29

This workout was a LOT of fun! Not a fan of the techno ish music though....IMHO the music has changed completely since hardcore series just not to my personal liking.
Old 10-08-13, 07:28 AM  
Cher

I've only tried 2 of the new Cathe's so far Flex Train and PRS#1. (In fact PRS#1 was the first of the new ones I've tried and loved it)! It was so much fun, I did it again yesterday! It's my new favorite step workout!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 11:32 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I agree that the choreography is great and that this is a very fun step workout.

But Cathe's cuing in this workout is absolutely atrocious and was a serious buzz kill to my enjoyment of the workout. If you teach step regularly how hard is it to cue before the move? And how about taking a moment to verbally recap the parts of a combo before putting it all together? So often during the workout I felt like choreography or cues were being thrown at me at the last second that at one point I actually stopped and just screamed!!!!

For me, this rivals Low Impact Challenge as the worst cued step workout EVER!!!!

And to restate that it's such a shame because the combos are fun and the choreography is interesting.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 11:37 AM  
cardio.junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post

For me, this rivals Low Impact Challenge as the worst cued step workout EVER!!!!

And to restate that it's such a shame because the combos are fun and the choreography is interesting.

I'm with you on this! I love complex choreography, but I got tripped up a few times due to her cuing..or lack of it. It's really too bad because you should be able to fly through this workout from start to finish once the combos are learned (while having a blast). However, I'm not sure I'll be able to ever with the cueing...grr...
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 12:13 PM  
Fitstick

I have only tried this one once so far and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not think that it was terribly cued -- she did not cue very well ahead of a move but I guess, compared to Amy's ASC5 that I struggled with for the same or worse reasons, I did not think that Cathe's cuing was bad at all. Just another perspective. I am so glad that Cathe is making step workouts again, she really excels in this area!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, party rockin, step