Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-13, 08:33 AM  
MARIKA

I don't do them often but when I do I find myself with a big grin. It just seems so nostalgic to me and takes me back. Should do it more such a good low impact workout.
Old 08-07-13, 08:40 AM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

I used to do almost all step for my cardio because it kept my mind engaged. I then got to the point where I only liked the newer complicated step workouts that used my brain to keep boredom from setting in, or like Christine mentioned, step workouts like the IMAX's that change up a lot.

Then I found Cardio Coach, and Sean kept my attention for a few years on the treadmill. NOW, my cardio mostly consists of Cathe's HIIT workouts or an hour of running on the treadmill while watching an episode of a TV show on DVD. I'm now on Season 5 of Mad Men.... , and I am never bored on the treadmill! I hardly ever do step, except when it's mixed in with a bunch of weight circuits, etc.

Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 08:48 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
If you still have a VCR, I just replaced some of my old Cathe's with the dvd version and I'll be glad to offer you the VHS's. This offer goes to anybody here, actually.

I admit I can't remember the last time I did a full hour of step. When I first started with Cathe many years ago (VHS years ) I did the full workout. Now, with so much variety, chaptered dvd's, and limited attention span, I only do about 25-40 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I like step, but like so many others, have moved on to other things. I get bored with the tifting on step videos. I don't need to do each mov 8 times before I get it. I like the ones like IMax where there's a new routine for each segment. It's repeated 4-6 times, and you move on.

I used to do the step portion of Step Jump and Pump, then the finales of Rhythmic Step, Step Blast and Body Max 2. That was a fun workout with no tifting.
My limit for stepping is normally between 25-40 minutes also.

The step portion in Step Jump and Pump is my all time favorite step workout. This is one of the step workouts that I do weekly. I also do IMAX 2 almost weekly, but do kettlebell swings during the blast segments.

I love/loved Christi's step workouts, but could never really grasp the second half of her workouts. For me, her choreography was always a bit more difficult to learn in the second half of her workouts. Christi is one of those rare instructors who is very gifted when it comes to creating choreography to match her music.

I initially bought my step to help complement my running eons ago. I always had my two children with me when I ran, so the days we couldn't get out for a run due to bad weather, I was able to step. My step and risers has been to CA and back many times. I always took it with us when we visited our family in CA.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 08:55 AM  
thelmaloo

I still do the firms "tough aerobic mix" and "light aerobic mix" ( and "aerobic Butt Busters") at least once a week ( with my firm 10 inch box, i cannot believe that thing is over 20 years old now !) Nothing too dancy.
I also like jessica smiths step workout on youtube
thelmaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 10:40 AM  
Judy W.

I love step, but needing to be careful now due to knee problems. For a full step routine, I use no risers, and that helps a lot. I also love a lot of the Firm cardio, and Cardio Step Mix (Firm Parts series) is a great one. Also Firm BSS3 and Firm BSS4 have wonderful step routines.

Christi is my favorite, but the knee is keeping me from her right now! I did Cathe's Body Fusion the other day, and it worked well.
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 11:49 AM  
3ks

I love my step. Hope it never "goes away."
Old 08-07-13, 12:19 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I used to love step especially the CIA ones since they were really complex and dancey. However, I have always loved hi/lo more since there is more freedom of movement. It doesn't seem that instructors are making complex wos anymore. I'm also used to the Zumba way of teaching (a new dance per song) instead of the one long routine with TIFTing. I'm not sure if I would have the patience to do the latter anymore if it's on DVD. A live class would be different.
Old 08-07-13, 01:54 PM  
Jane1721

I still use my step! I pull it out once or twice a week when I am doing a cardio-only day. I have a few hi-lo workouts but those have always felt more tedious to me than step workouts, so I don't do them as much.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 01:49 AM  
juberann

Ok, after reading through all these threads about people still loving STEP workouts I decided to do Cathe's Basic Step workout tonight and I really enjoyed it It was just the right amount of challege for me and I worked up quite a sweat (yeah, definitely not an advanced Stepper) so, once again, I eat my words Great fun and just the change of pace I needed
Old 08-10-13, 01:55 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Judy - Glad you enjoyed your step workout! I am not an advanced stepper either and workouts like Cathe's Basic Step fit the bill for me too! I am off step right now because of PF in one foot but hope to get back to it in the fall.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics