Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-13, 12:06 AM  
mrsyancy

Count me in too

I still step workouts.....I still do them quite frequently. I love athletic or complex step. I also hope it doesn't fall by the wayside, but if so I have plenty to keep me busy
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 01:46 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I've been doing step since the late '90s and the last couple of years had to take a long hiatus because I got awful hip pain from doing it. I certainly did enjoy it, though, especially the complex dancy stuff.

I've since learned I have lumbar spinal stenosis and a lumbar scoliosis which is why that repetitive motion aggravated the pain.

I've found I can do two or three step workouts a month without bad consequences. My most fun favorite step workout is Patrick Goudeau's CIA 9001, with the Wizard of Oz. I also enjoyed Christi T's Step Heaven and Gin Miller's Intense Moves. Oh, and oddly, FIRM Ballroom Aerobics

I still have all those, as well as lots of other step workouts on DVD and VHS. I'd be willing to do loans if anyone is interested since I do them so seldom these days.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 04:24 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
Anyone else wishing they would just "go away?"
Oh, please don't say that!

I still love Step and hope to keep doing it for years and years. I try to include all different kinds of workouts in my week, and it's getting harder and harder to find simple steady-state cardio. Something that lets me work up a sweat and get my HR up without over-taxing my brain.

And yes, some (many?) of my workouts are now old enough to drink. Still them, always will.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:10 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
If you still have a VCR, I just replaced some of my old Cathe's with the dvd version and I'll be glad to offer you the VHS's. This offer goes to anybody here, actually.

I admit I can't remember the last time I did a full hour of step. When I first started with Cathe many years ago (VHS years ) I did the full workout. Now, with so much variety, chaptered dvd's, and limited attention span, I only do about 25-40 minutes.
This is me...I still like step but the desire to do more than 45 minutes of it is pretty much history. 25-40 minutes is just right for me too. A lot of my step workouts are old VHS ones though I have a few DVDs.

But this timeframe also applies to most workouts in general, I am trying to keep everything in the 30-40 minute range these days, maybe doing longer DVDs once in a while.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:46 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I still enjoy step workouts but I don't always use a step with them, to protect my knees. Kari Anderson's Go is fun without the step. (I wish her older step videos like Fitness Formula were on DVD!)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:05 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
This is me...I still like step but the desire to do more than 45 minutes of it is pretty much history. 25-40 minutes is just right for me too. A lot of my step workouts are old VHS ones though I have a few DVDs.

But this timeframe also applies to most workouts in general, I am trying to keep everything in the 30-40 minute range these days, maybe doing longer DVDs once in a while.
Me too. The only time I do more than 45 minutes of anything is if I'm outside, bike riding or walking. I may do portions of dvd's to add up to an hour (cardio in the morning, maybe followed by a 10-minute segment of something, then yoga in the evening) but I don't really keep track.
Old 08-07-13, 07:19 AM  
andtckrtoo

I like step, but like so many others, have moved on to other things. I get bored with the tifting on step videos. I don't need to do each mov 8 times before I get it. I like the ones like IMax where there's a new routine for each segment. It's repeated 4-6 times, and you move on.

I used to do the step portion of Step Jump and Pump, then the finales of Rhythmic Step, Step Blast and Body Max 2. That was a fun workout with no tifting.
Old 08-07-13, 07:48 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post

I used to do the step portion of Step Jump and Pump, then the finales of Rhythmic Step, Step Blast and Body Max 2. That was a fun workout with no tifting.
When SNM asked for suggestions for the cathe's greatest hits dvd (free during first phase of preorder), I think some people suggested (possibly including myself?) that part of the compilation include the finished combos of some her step routines, one right after another.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:54 AM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
When SNM asked for suggestions for the cathe's greatest hits dvd (free during first phase of preorder), I think some people suggested (possibly including myself?) that part of the compilation include the finished combos of some her step routines, one right after another.
That would be amazing. I not a big fan of her recent workouts. I like the fun and zany Cathe, but hey, we all grow up. But, I love her old workouts!
Old 08-07-13, 08:01 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

We still have step classes (well, one ) here at the University of Virginia, but I haven't done step in a long while. I typically reach for Gin Miller's ANCIENT 29 Minute Step Workout (only on VHS) when I do step, as it incorporates upper body weight work while stepping and I like that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics