Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-13, 05:50 PM  
bubbles76

I step, and am another that gets sad when I think it may be going the way of the dodo and scrunchies. In fact, I just finished Step Max today and Body Max 2 yesterday. These were both virgin workouts to me, and fun! Well, Step Max didn't really pick up until the end. However, I haven't been doing step for years like some of you, only since maybe 2006 or 2007. I admit, I haven't the patience for some of my step instructors like I used to (yea, I'm talking to YOU Amy Bento!), but I still think of step as my one of my favorite forms of cardio. I've had to really take impact and risers down, and I hope I don't have to get rid of step altogether.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 06:10 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I still do step. Most of my step workouts are considered old and "dated", but they're the ones that I like. I sometimes use my step for a few minutes during a Leslie workout, usually the "four steps forward and back" move translates well to an "up, up, down, tap switch" move
Old 08-06-13, 06:11 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I still love step. I'm choreographically challenged so I reach for the same ol' same ol' most of the time (lots of Cathe). Haven't bought many new step workouts recently because I hate the learning curve.
Old 08-06-13, 06:28 PM  
Hilary

I'm another who loves step, although I didn't start until after the big fad was over. It took me a long time to work up to the more complicated choreography, but now it's my favorite kind. Christi is my go-to girl. I've never finished one of her workouts in a bad mood. It's always a little frustrating to learn a new routine, but well worth it once it's been mastered. What I love about Christi's workouts, both step and hi/lo, is that they totally engage my mind and I never, ever feel like I'm "working" ... even when I am. Today I did Hi/Lo Heaven and got 11,000 steps, but it sure felt more like a party than a WORKout
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 06:55 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I still do step. Most of my step workouts are considered old and "dated", but they're the ones that I like. I sometimes use my step for a few minutes during a Leslie workout, usually the "four steps forward and back" move translates well to an "up, up, down, tap switch" move
Excellent idea!!! I'm going to have to do this. I still do step workouts too and the ones I like are older as well.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 07:07 PM  
meg39

I don't do step at home, but take Body Step classes at the gym, which I love,love,love. So much fun.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 07:07 PM  
Juice

Love it and can't ever imagine not doing it! Complex or simple - it's a staple for me. So glad that Cathe and others continue to produce great step workouts.

It seems like step's demise is periodically predicted, yet it is still hanging in there... People in my classes still love it too.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 07:29 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Love it and can't ever imagine not doing it! Complex or simple - it's a staple for me.
It seems like step's demise is periodically predicted, yet it is still hanging in there...
It seems like every few years there's a "new" spin put on the step itself--from the standard benches from back in the day (I love my Buns of Steel one from 1990--its still going strong!), to the Firm Fanny Lifter, to the ramp-style steps, to step on a Bosu, to that other Firm thing with a longer part (the Transfirmer?)...

I stopped doing traditional step for ages (probably a decade) as I found other cardio crushes like kickboxing and HIIT... but I'd still pull out my Fanny Lifter every once in a while. But just in the last month, I've bought TWO new step workouts! (One is a DVD of something I had on VHS but never did). I have to admit that part of the reason I stopped was that I didn't want to drag my step out every time I worked out. But I've been rethinking my attitude toward stuff like that (going downstairs to grab the step is just another opportunity for NEAT!), and it's been really fun reacquainting myself with one of my first fitness loves.

I can't imagine hoping that a certain kind of workout would go away, though! The more variety, the better!!
Old 08-06-13, 07:35 PM  
Fitstick

I still love step too! And looking forward to Cathe and Amy's new step routines. I often pull out some of my old Cathe, Seasun, Christi, or CIA step workouts and have fun fun fun! I hope that step never dies Who knows, maybe it will make a comeback.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 07:43 PM  
anne

I like step a lot, too, all kinds. Just did KA Push's step section the other day and take it regularly at the gym. One of my gym step clasess has gotten more crowded lately so that's a good sign.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics