Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-13, 06:05 AM  
sciencelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
When step first came out in the 80's I was doing it everyday. (Back then we were not advise to schedule rest days and vary workouts like are now.) The step workouts had some plyo. I learned the hard way, that there is such a thing as too much step, or at least.....too much plyo. My calves starting getting really tight. I thought I just needed to stretch more. Wrong. I injured my calves. I've use the step a lot since with no injuries, but I vary my workouts now.

I think the important thing is to listen to your body. You start getting tighness or increasing soreness...that a sign.

+1
My experience was similar to Msladybug, I did step every day back in the day (late 80's early 90's), developed some plantar fasciitis that basically took me out of exercising for months at a time. Now I know better to vary my workouts from day to day and no more problems.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:02 AM  
carolyn jane

For 6-8 years I did step exclusively because I loved it so much. The result was extremely painful bursitis and hip problems. I had to stop doing step completely for several years. Then I would do it once in a while but it usually triggered the pain again. So - almost 7 years later I am still dealing with the consequences of only doing step.

My advice - cross train!
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:43 AM  
Gams

I did step almost exclusively for years and never had any problems. I also did it barefooted. It's been awhile now, but I'd like to start doing step again. Some of my favorite step workouts aren't available on DVD, though, and I no longer have a working VCR.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 10:17 AM  
darbyndoug

Step is still my favorite form of cardio... I really could do it everyday, but I don't. Mixing up different forms of cardio... including kickbox, dance, tabata-style drills, walking... just feels better for my body.
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics