Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-13, 05:11 PM  
thaispice

does step aerobics make your legs bulk up?

Hi VFers,

I finally caved and got a step. My biggest problem area has always been my legs, especially my thighs. Not only do my quads build up very easily, I have inner thigh fat that persists no matter what the scale reads.

So I'm wondering, what are your results from step aerobics? Have you found that your legs bulk up when you increase the frequency with which you do step? And is there a difference in results depending on the style of step aerobics, e.g., complex dancy but lower-impact routines vs. athletic plyo-heavy routines?

Thanks in advance for your input!
thaispice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 06:02 PM  
moonbeam31

I think I heard that if the step is too high it will build the quad up too much. If you are short-keep it to 4"-6" in height. If you are tall (long-legged) you can go higher like to 8'. Correct me If I am wrong here-but it makes sense to me. I am 5'3 and would never really go higher than a 6" step for faster cardio step routines. Later on I started using just a 4". I really do not step much anymore though...It never really seemed to help my thighs and I did step quite regulary too. I don't eanymore and they are not much different. Good Luck!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 06:12 PM  
mabyrd1

I do step every week but I am short 5'3 and only use 4' step!!I love step as my cardio (older cathe and Christi Taylor are my fav)!! I also so a good bit of The firm for weights!! But my husband always tells me how sexy my legs are and co workers always comment on how toned my legs are, lol!! My mid section is my trouble spot!! I hope this helps!!
mabyrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 08:45 PM  
bfit

I've been stepping for years (although not every day), and I don't think my legs are bulky or have gotten any bulkier over time. I think step aerobics is a really good cardio workout and helps with endurance, especially in the legs.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 10:01 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabyrd1 View Post
But my husband always tells me how sexy my legs are and co workers always comment on how toned my legs are, lol!! My mid section is my trouble spot!! I hope this helps!!
A little off-topic, but what kind of work do you do that your co-workers can get away with comments about your legs?

thaispice: Step is a cardio workout. Any time you do the same type of cardio workout repeatedly, you may create a muscle imbalance, whether it's step, spinning, running. I like step for it's cardiovascular effects, but I do different types of cardio in order to work different muscles. I hope this makes a little sense.
Old 02-05-13, 12:40 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I loved step for many years, and still do, but I don't do it much any more because it aggravates an SI joint problem I have. boo hoo

I'm short, and short legged to boot, so I have had to come to love my quads. The only thing that made them bigger was heavy weighted lower body work. Step didn't make my quads bigger, but I used a 6 inch step for many years, moving to a 4 inch before I drastically curtailed my step workouts.

Step was not what injured me, BTW, it just aggravates the pain so I only do it rarely any more.

Just remember--when you get older, strong quads are what will keep you out of the nursing home! As long as you are able to get up and down off the toilet by yourself you can be independent!

/nursing perspective provided free of charge/

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 09:12 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Just remember--when you get older, strong quads are what will keep you out of the nursing home! As long as you are able to get up and down off the toilet by yourself you can be independent!

Truth. Leg strength and power is a crucial factor in independence in later years. Not just the toilet, but stairs, sofas, in and out of cars.

All that said...I don't think step aerobics created substantial muscle mass for me. But then again I've never done step all on its own - always mixed with other things.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 04:02 PM  
mabyrd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
A little off-topic, but what kind of work do you do that your co-workers can get away with comments about your legs?

thaispice: Step is a cardio workout. Any time you do the same type of cardio workout repeatedly, you may create a muscle imbalance, whether it's step, spinning, running. I like step for it's cardiovascular effects, but I do different types of cardio in order to work different muscles. I hope this makes a little sense.
LOL-I guess I should have stated it was my girlfriends at work!! I guess I would probably faint if any other the guys said anything. I mostly work with women and we are very close-no problems with comments from them, LOL!!
mabyrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 04:15 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabyrd1 View Post
LOL-I guess I should have stated it was my girlfriends at work!! I guess I would probably faint if any other the guys said anything. I mostly work with women and we are very close-no problems with comments from them, LOL!!
After I posted I realized it's really none of my business, and yes, I can see where "friends from work" can discuss things like this. It was just my initial reaction and I posted in a hurry. Glad it's all good
Old 02-05-13, 04:21 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I loved step for many years, and still do, but I don't do it much any more because it aggravates an SI joint problem I have. boo hoo

I'm short, and short legged to boot, so I have had to come to love my quads. The only thing that made them bigger was heavy weighted lower body work. Step didn't make my quads bigger, but I used a 6 inch step for many years, moving to a 4 inch before I drastically curtailed my step workouts.

Step was not what injured me, BTW, it just aggravates the pain so I only do it rarely any more.

I This! So true, though!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulk, bulking, step, step aerobics