Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-12, 09:39 AM  
wendyrun

Late to the 'Step' party - need help:)

Hi,

I'm stretching myself by buying some dvds that require more coordination and sequenced movement than I've done in the past.

Yesterday I got a step at a used sporting goods store so I could do one of my new Cathe dvds. I picked "Athletic Step" which was described as 'less' dance-y. It was still a challenge for me and I had to go back and review several times.

I did check on Youtube for instructional videos, and found a web site with some nice step instructions (turnstep.com - looks very dated and not kept up)....but I'm gonna need more help!

Any advice for a newbie on where to find good instruction for the basics, and beyond?

TIA!
Wendy
wendyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:21 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

As a warning, I am not a dance person or music person. I don't know for sure, but I can pretty much guarantee none of the music in the DVDs I am about to tell you about is anything you will become a fan girl of.

Gin Miller "invented" Step. If you go to her site, there are Step workouts from the inception of Step.
I am horrible at choreographed, dancy, twirly Step. I can do Gin's and did Gin's with no problem, the original Step that is, with Reebok in the name, and the followups with Reebok. I can do Everybody Steps but I don't enjoy it as much.

By no problem, I mean I wasn't falling over and breaking a hip. They are very athletic.

She has one that is the same routine but at three different BPMs. I love this DVD. It doesn't come in a DVD box, just a sleeve, but it is cheap and it is a great 15-minute or so routine. This is what I pull out when I just need to do some Step but I don't have the time or attention span to do them. It is a tutorial in Step.

Gilad has two old Step routines that are on DVD that are a good workout but not dancy and twirly. The bonus is you are on the beach. The negative is you get to look at gorgeous women on the beach in leotards that look like Spanx. Disconcerting, but you get used to it.

Kathy Smith's older Step stuff is good, too. You can generally find some of them on e-Bay and even the swaps here. Again, more of the up and down variety, less dancy and twirly. And I think any of Kathy's Step stuff is old. I am not sure, though.

Cathe has a Step DVD called Basic Step that I got with my short little Cathe Step from one of the big boxes. Great starter and beyond Step workout. It is not like her personal productions. The hardest thing on there is Around the World (or something like that) and depending on my ability that day I may not do it, just modifying it in a way that is comfortable to me. You can probably pick that up on the swaps or YaYas or even e-Bay. Again, not dancy but a great workout.

I enjoyed learning to Step kind of historically, with the begining, so to speak, even though I have only been stepping for about four years. I will say that some instructors use different names for different steps and for a person like me that listens hard to cuing for Step, it can sometimes throw me off.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:22 AM  
junico

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyrun View Post
Hi,

I'm stretching myself by buying some dvds that require more coordination and sequenced movement than I've done in the past.

Yesterday I got a step at a used sporting goods store so I could do one of my new Cathe dvds. I picked "Athletic Step" which was described as 'less' dance-y. It was still a challenge for me and I had to go back and review several times.

I did check on Youtube for instructional videos, and found a web site with some nice step instructions (turnstep.com - looks very dated and not kept up)....but I'm gonna need more help!

Any advice for a newbie on where to find good instruction for the basics, and beyond?

TIA!
Wendy
Welcome to step! They have some great freebies on YouTube ..it's old, dated but one of the fun ones..step reebok. From one of the original founders...easy to follow. I remember thinly myself when I did athletic step that it seemed a little dancy for athletic . I actually prefer the IMAX ones. They are interval ones and the choreo is simpler..

But check out YouTube..search under step..
junico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:25 AM  
junico

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post

Kathy Smith's older Step stuff is good, too. You can generally find some of them on e-Bay and even the swaps here. Again, more of the up and down variety, less dancy and twirly. And I think any of Kathy's Step stuff is old. I am not sure, though.

Cathe has a Step DVD called Basic Step that I got with my short little Cathe Step from one of the big boxes. Great starter and beyond Step workout. It is not like her personal productions. The hardest thing on there is Around the World (or something like that) and depending on my ability that day I may not do it, just modifying it in a way that is comfortable to me. You can probably pick that up on the swaps or YaYas or even e-Bay. Again, not dancy but a great workout.

I enjoyed learning to Step kind of historically, with the begining, so to speak, even though I have only been stepping for about four years. I will say that some instructors use different names for different steps and for a person like me that listens hard to cuing for Step, it can sometimes throw me off.
Totally agree on Kathy Smith too! She is one of my fave. I remember doing her fat burning one with the waves of intensity..got me wedding day ready..
junico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:32 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome to the step party! I hope you find workouts that are good for you. Some that you can try include:

Gin Miller came out with some good basic, yet not easy, step workouts. Some of those include Everybody Steps, Intense moves, etc.

Gilad produced a step aeorbics DVD that is a good beginner step workout.

Cathe has a DVD called Basic Step and Body Fusion. It has lower intensity as well as lower complexity and would give you a good introduction.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:38 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I will echo Cathe's Basic Step, it's 30 minutes and not too complicated.

I also like Kari Anderson's Go and use it from time to time. Gilad's is another good one and
quite a workout.

Step is one of my favorite forms of cardio, I do it a little less than I used to, only because I am adding more walking in lately. But it's a great low impact way to get cardio in. I have always preferred low impact basic choreography. None of the jumpy twirly stuff for me, I am asking for sprained ankles if I do that stuff.

Gin Miller is another good one, and she is the step pioneer really. I do know that the entire Step Reebok workout is up on You Tube, that is a really good one to start with.

Most of my step videos are older and on VHS yet, but they are my favorites! I really like both of Jane Fonda's step workouts, I am still holding out hope they are released to DVD, I would be all over those.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 11:11 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I second Kari Anderson's Go as a good basic step workout. If you like Cathe as an instructor, her earlier workouts like the ones on Cardio Hits (Power Max, Step Fit, Step Works) are very well cued and much easier to follow along with than her later step workouts.

Another one to consider is Christi Taylor's Humble Beginnings DVD, a collection of her first 3 CIA workouts. The first one, CIA 5004, has a simple and well-cued 30-minute step routine, and there are 2 other, harder step workouts you can work your way up to.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 12:03 PM  
PhyllisG

I also like Kari's Go. Easy to follow and she has such a relaxed demeanor. Cathe's Basic step is good along with Christi Taylor's Mission Possible. But I would say try Go.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 01:50 PM  
wendy2

Based on what I remember using when I was first starting to step way back when, I agree with the recommendations for Kathy Smith and Gin Miller. They'll teach you the terminology and still give you a good workout.
I'd steer clear of Cathe's step workouts. She doesn't cue well.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 02:04 PM  
Cafelattee

I'm new to step. I ran for 25 years. I love what step workouts do for my legs and butt. I started with Cathe Low Impact Circuit. It took me a few weeks to really get it. The first week I didn't really workout but learned the moves. It took a bit to watch a video and she would go around the step. I was laughing at myself more than anything trying to figure out where i was suppose to be. I never ended up where they were on the step. I'm still after 3 months not always in time or side with them but I did burn 560 calorieds doing this workout. Its more ccaloried than I ever burned doing Turbo Fire which I still love but need a change.

Whatever you start with the step workout are great for lower body IMO.

So no recommendation just encouragement
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step