Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-12, 06:37 PM  
zippity

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
For Atlantans, I was on Ponce and got stopped by the light at Mary Macs Tea Room (if you think of a tea room selling hard liquor and fried chicken and BBQ).
You see all kinds of things on Ponce de Leon Avenue...
Old 08-20-12, 07:26 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

My cat uses the Fanny Lifter to get on and off the bed now that he is 17.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 08:30 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
For Atlantans, I was on Ponce and got stopped by the light at Mary Macs Tea Room (if you think of a tea room selling hard liquor and fried chicken and BBQ).
So I looked over and a woman got out of her minivan, opened a back sliding door, pulled out a short Cathe step in its lovely teal color, put down set of risers, put the step on and helped her lovely cane-carrying passengers into the back of the van.

They are sturdy, probably steadier than a step stool on uneven ground and I thought it was an excellent use for the product. It is smaller than a full size step and easier to handle.

I use mine sometimes on a buffet table, properly cleaned and draped, to add visual interest in the differing heights of the offerings.

Anybody else use their step for purposes Cathe never dreamed of?

You all are making me terribly home sick. (love the idea for the buffet table, I usually just use books)
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 07:56 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsal View Post
BTW, I live in Atlanta as well and am very familiar with that area. I heard that when the original owner, presumably Mary, opened the business, it wasn't considered ladylike for a woman to own and operate a restaurant, particulary one that sold alcohol, so she dubbed it a "tea room," which was considered an acceptable business for a lady to own. I also heard that in my Mom's day (WWII era) it wasn't proper for girls to go inside the Varsity. "Ladies" stayed outside and ordered curbside.
As a native, I have never heard that. It is a good story to tell on the periodic sightseeing for out of town friends/fam.
I did know about the Varsity, though. Yeah, naked dogs walking was quite controversial in the day.

So I bought a Wave because it was $8 (no DVDs).

But today it occurred to me I could stand on it at my high desk while working. Puts the computer too low to be comfortable but that is nothing an AP calculus book didn't solve (since DS is at college, he is not going to notice it is gone).

Sorry to make you homesick, Sancho. You know Mary Mac's, it will be here when you want it (and I have never been in the door. Bad Atlantan, I know).

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 03:34 PM  
mamaste

When Mary Macs opened there were several tea rooms in Atlanta. It was a common way for women to make a living. Mary Macs is the only tea room left. The really popular tea room during their heyday was Frances Virginia tearoom. It closed before I was born, but have heard many stories. That one opened I think 20 years before Mary Macs. Someone should write a book about the history of Atlanta's tea rooms.
Old 08-23-12, 01:23 AM  
Helen

Shame on you ALL!
My step is never used as anything apart from the purpose for which it was designed. I couldn't bare for it to be used otherwise - the HORROR!

Regarding the use of the calculus text....
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fried chicken, martinis, step