Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-11, 10:25 AM  
flamingoo

Here's my issue. We have a small home with limited space. I already told my husband he's getting up with the baby so I can workout outside the house. We don't have any extra space for me to workout that early in the morning. I'm afraid if I wait til later in the day - I won't get the time. He wants to give me pepper spray along with other things I'm already letting the nervousness get the best of me, but I just don't know when else to do it. Daylight savings time will set in soon and it will be dark by 5:00. Plus it gets so crazy and hectic at night with work, dinner, homework etc. Thanks for the advice.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 10:38 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Wherever you decide to run, invest in some reflective clothing and a headlamp so others can see you and you can see where you are going. I used to run in the early am with some friends and found the headlamp to be invaluable.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 10:59 AM  
sherry7899

Do you have any friends that would go running with you that early? It would be safer if you weren't by yourself.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 11:12 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Do you have any friends that would go running with you that early? It would be safer if you weren't by yourself.

Sherry
I have to second this! But I know it's not always easy to find other runners and to coordinate schedules. I run alone most of the time, but not in the dark anymore. I broke my ankle running a couple of years ago and am wary of the terrain so I like to see where I am going.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 08-18-11, 11:17 AM  
Sissy B

Is there a gym nearby where you could go for your cardio? I understand wanting to get out of the house, but personally I would be leery of walking alone in the dark - early morning or evening.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 11:29 AM  
saffron

I'd stay home.
No exercise routine is worth my safety. Women disappear in broad daylight - the world just isn't as safe as we want to believe.
I just can't see how walking alone in the wee hours of the morning can be safe. Please reconsider.
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 11:30 AM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexybeth1 View Post
I live in a very small town in a rural area I used to feel safe walking, but I dont anymore, too much Nancy Grace? Idk, but I have a treadmill thank goodness, and long driveway, I never ever walk on the road here alone anymore i am amazed at how ugly and evil people in this world are and I think its crazy how many scary horrible things happen in the best of places I may be crazy, but I think running or walking in the dark, in any place under any circumstances, is dangerous
Maybe it is too much Nancy Grace.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:01 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
To be honest, if I had to exercise that early and wanted to walk or run, I'd use my treadmill.

I hope you can find a safe route. Is there any way you can exercise at another time of day?

Take care,
Sherry
I admit I'm a scardy cat but I totally agree with this. Too many bad things happen. Why put yourself in a situation that may prove dangerous? Get a treadmill or some other workout equipment. Better safe then sorry!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:02 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexybeth1 View Post
I live in a very small town in a rural area I used to feel safe walking, but I dont anymore, too much Nancy Grace? Idk, but I have a treadmill thank goodness, and long driveway, I never ever walk on the road here alone anymore i am amazed at how ugly and evil people in this world are and I think its crazy how many scary horrible things happen in the best of places I may be crazy, but I think running or walking in the dark, in any place under any circumstances, is dangerous
Yeah That!!!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I walk and run alone most of the time and I feel quite safe. But I don't live in or near a big city (I live in a semi-rural area) and I don't watch Nancy Grace.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Tags
outdoors, safety, walking, walking conditions