Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-11, 08:34 AM  
flamingoo

Which path do you think is the safest

So I'm going to be starting walking/jogging very early in the morning soI'm sure to fit in my cardio. I live in a fairly safe community, but even the safest communities have their incidents. Which path would you choose. I can walk where there is less traffic, more homes ie: familes, but less street lights and pretty dark. Or I can choose to walk on a busier street ( 4:00 a.m. it won't be that busy) , more street lights, but more apartment/town homes and some are a little sketchy. See my dilemma? I've never walked in the pitch black and want to pick the safest way. Thanks guys
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 08:35 AM  
bearcatfan

Well, I wouldn't go either route when it's that early and dark. But between the two, I'd choose the route with more homes.
Old 08-18-11, 08:39 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Well, I wouldn't go either route when it's that early and dark. But between the two, I'd choose the route with more homes.
Back when I was a runner, I always felt safer in neighborhoods with lots of homes and families. I knew I was close to help (I ran with a whistle strung from my neck), and after a while, if I missed a neighborhood in my route for a while, then went back, people noticed and commented as I ran by.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 08:40 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

A local school teacher, just the other day, fended off an attacker during her morning walk. It was in a middle class neighborhood. Is there any way you can walk during daylight? I'd at least get some pepper spray and maybe a whistle. Also don't wear any earphones. Best of luck to you!
Old 08-18-11, 08:50 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I agree about walking that early in the dark. I live in a safe community also, but a friend that walks used to go early am in the dark in her own neighborhood and was being followed one day by two guys in a car. She managed to avoid them that morning but she has since rearranged her walking schedule to early evening. I know it's hard sometimes. If it's not possible to go during the daylight, I would also opt for the neighborhood with homes and families.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 08:51 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'd pick the "less traffic" option, myself. I hear more about runners and cyclists being struck by cars (especially with so many drivers texting and talking on cell phones) than attacks by predators.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:01 AM  
sherry7899

To be honest, if I had to exercise that early and wanted to walk or run, I'd use my treadmill.

I hope you can find a safe route. Is there any way you can exercise at another time of day?

Take care,
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:04 AM  
lexybeth1

I live in a very small town in a rural area I used to feel safe walking, but I dont anymore, too much Nancy Grace? Idk, but I have a treadmill thank goodness, and long driveway, I never ever walk on the road here alone anymore i am amazed at how ugly and evil people in this world are and I think its crazy how many scary horrible things happen in the best of places I may be crazy, but I think running or walking in the dark, in any place under any circumstances, is dangerous
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:14 AM  
Kyra

I don't think it's a good idea to run where you think it's unsafe. Period.

That said, I don't know what I'd choose to do. I tend to think it's safer to vary your routes as opposed to running X route every day at X o'clock, but I don't know what options you really have for yourself. I would think a suburban community would have more than two routing options, so perhaps I'm missing something. Have you ever looked at MapMyRun? It might give you some additional ideas.

LOL. I guess what I'm not saying well is that I always opt to be safe; however I'd hate to suggest you just use one running route, over and over. I think that would get old fast.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:31 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm with, Kyra. Varying your route as much as possible is a good idea. Also, carry some type of protection, and if you have a dog, walk him/her with you. They'll think you are the greatest person in the world.

I actually should take my own advice. The only option for me is running my dogs out in the trails, which is just across the street from our home. But, it's pretty desolate out there, especially the deeper into the trails that I run. So once the "paranoid" feeling sets in, I change the time of day that I take my dogs out there.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoors, safety, walking, walking conditions