Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-21, 10:18 AM  
Leonana

I wish I had known about the Firms in the 90's, when I was in my 30's. I didn't discover that style until about eight years ago, but went with Jessica Smith.

The Pink Firms have too much high impact for me now. But I have the BSS2 Complete Aerobics with Weight Training, and I like that one.
Old 05-13-21, 11:06 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2 View Post
I remember thinking that the WHFN Fitprime/Kickbutt workouts were too easy when they first came out but now that I am a couple of days shy of 51, I’m finding that they are perfect.
Same. I'm almost 46 and now I really love the WHFN in a way I couldn't quite appreciate when I was first collecting them.
Old 05-13-21, 12:13 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I started with Firm 1 back in the day when I found it at Walden books (remember them). I loved the Firm, but all these years later I can see some problems with them. The behind the neck shoulder presses in Firm 6, and all the upright rows in so many of them.

Still, the Firm got me to buy dumbells and a step. I became stronger and I'm so grateful.

I don't do them as much as I used to, but I'm by no means done doing them. I hope can at least do the Firm Basics into old age.

I wanted to add that some of the BSS Firms have great little 10 minute add ons that are perfect for a busy day.
Old 05-13-21, 02:30 PM  
Messe

Thanks to this conversation, I'm starting to see a Firm-FitPrime-KickButt-Tracie Long rotation using the Firm 90-Day Plug & Play calendar in my future.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-21, 05:05 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

*waves arms madly* I started revisiting the Firm about three months ago now and I’ve been having the best time! I subscribed to Fitness Favorites streaming and I just pick one to do almost every day. I’ve also started trying the Fitprime/ Kickbutt workouts. Still warming up to them but I love Lean with Keli Roberts.
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 12:46 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Gosh, this lovefest is getting me interested too! I have a number of the AWT workouts from different eras which emphasize strength with some cardio effect (as I can't deal with the DVDs where there's lots of jumping around... their cardio-focused stuff is just not for me and I don't like lifting light weights and doing four-limbed motions). The stuff I have includes Tough Tape, Tought Tape 2, Maximum Body Shaping, FIRM Strength and a bunch of the BSS ones where heavier weights and AWT is the goal (e.g. CAWT). I just worry about some of the strange cueing & overly fussy steps for cardio + the equipment changes in general... that's why I've been avoiding them.

I have a few FitPrimes which I have never used (guilty vidiot) so if anyone can summarize which ones are most likely to be similar to the FIRMs I've listed above, I might just have to finally break them out!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 11:32 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
I just worry about some of the strange cueing & overly fussy steps for cardio + the equipment changes in general... that's why I've been avoiding them.
Here's a tip: on days when I feel like doing a FIRM workout but I'm like, ugh, I don't want to drag all the various pieces of equipment out and I don't feel like doing the cardio choreography, I just...don't. I use only the equipment I want to (e.g., just don't use any boxes or steps; for leg presses, just swap in lunges and dips), and for any cardio choreo that feels too frenetic that day, I just march or jog in place or just kind of dance or something. My WO room has floor-to-ceiling windows in it, so sometimes I'll just look away from the TV during a frenetic segment, jog in place while looking out the window, and then I come back to attention when they move back to a sculpting segment. Make the workouts work for you, not the other way around.

Usually the equipment actually makes me happy, though, and I enjoy setting everything up beforehand, because the changes distract me from the work and I feel like I'm just kind of playing with toys or something, haha.
Old 05-14-21, 07:09 PM  
anetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah O. View Post
*waves arms madly* I started revisiting the Firm about three months ago now and I’ve been having the best time! I subscribed to Fitness Favorites streaming and I just pick one to do almost every day. I’ve also started trying the Fitprime/ Kickbutt workouts. Still warming up to them but I love Lean with Keli Roberts.
How much is the streaming? Are all the workouts available-Want to get rid of my dvds((gasp)) but I love streaming-

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 09:47 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
How much is the streaming? Are all the workouts available-Want to get rid of my dvds((gasp)) but I love streaming-

Anita
The streaming is $19.99 a month. It has all of the Firms that Anna Benson made, plus all of the Fitprimes/WHFN/Kickbutt workouts. There are also some extras, like several 12-minute workouts that were never released before.
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-21, 07:43 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Make the workouts work for you, not the other way around.
And applies to EVERY workout I do. The beauty of working out alone, I might add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Usually the equipment actually makes me happy, though, and I enjoy setting everything up beforehand, because the changes distract me from the work and I feel like I'm just kind of playing with toys or something, haha.
kat999 this is me to a T! My Shred Shed used to be the kids' playroom..and it definitely can look like a Fun House after a Firm workout
(Or a Cathe workout.)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm, revisiting the firm, the firm