Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-21, 11:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Post "Bye-bye skinny jeans, hello 'mom' jeans.”

"Skinny jeans are out and wide-leg denim is in vogue."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/08/skin...&doc=106864691

Could the alleged new baggy jeans trend be a fashion statement? Or, is it because after the pandemic lockdown, not everyone can still fit in those skinny jeans? Or, maybe the jeans companies are desperate to sell new jeans and are faking a new trend?

I don't keep up with fashion, so I don't know...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 11:34 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm not a fashionista by any means. Quite the opposite, in fact. Skinny jeans don't look great on me because I'm a pear shape. I'd prefer wide leg jeans, but don't always like the weight of a heavy denim jean. I've gotten so used to being comfortable in my pajama's and sweat/yoga pants during Covid, lol!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 12:11 PM  
Gams

I’ve seen a lot of wide leg jeans lately. I don’t care for them. Also got 3 clothing catalogs yesterday that claim linen is the new “in” fabric this summer - ugh - only if you want to be a mass of wrinkles. I hate linen.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 12:19 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
"Skinny jeans are out and wide-leg denim is in vogue."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/08/skin...&doc=106864691

Could the alleged new baggy jeans trend be a fashion statement? Or, is it because after the pandemic lockdown, not everyone can still fit in those skinny jeans? Or, maybe the jeans companies are desperate to sell new jeans and are faking a new trend?

I don't keep up with fashion, so I don't know...
LOL! I think you are right about skinny jeans not being in vogue because of pandemic pounds! I've never really followed the jeans trend and know what jeans work best for my body shape. I have all types of jeans- bootcut, straight leg, skinny, wide leg. I know that I HATED the low slung jean trend that was around in the early 2000's. That style looked horrible on anyone that wasn't stick thin!
Old 04-11-21, 12:26 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I learned a long time ago not to throw out/donate my old jeans. I have "mom" high-waisted jeans, baggy jeans, low-waisted jeans, skinny jeans and boot-cut jeans. In assorted sizes!

My favorites are the boot-cut. They never go out of style for cowboys and cowgirls.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 12:30 PM  
kat999

I actually just bought a bunch of jeggings, which I never thought I'd do, but the pandemic has caused me to both gain weight and muscle, so trying to squeeze myself into "hard pants" is a no. Jeggings look like skinny jeans but they're really leggings, there is no hard button or zipper, and I think they're pretty cute and can be dressed up or down easily.

Mom jeans are uncomfortable to me because the rise is so high. I like wide-legged carpenter jeans with a lower rise, but I also feel dumb wearing those in my mid-40s.

IDK, I'm a pear shape with a slender upper body; the only clothes that look good on me are like flare dresses from the '50s, and I'm not going to rock that just to go to the grocery store.
Old 04-11-21, 01:00 PM  
LAC

While I still wear jeans, it feels like they aren't very popular in any style anymore. When I go out to the store, it seems like a high percentage of the women/girls I see are wearing yoga pants/leggings.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 01:34 PM  
Leonana

I read the article, but don’t think it’s due to the pandemic. I watch thrift videos on you tube, and some channels are younger women in their 20’s and 30’s. They follow the fashion trends when thrifting, and have been focusing on finding mom jeans since before the pandemic.

I never looked good in skinny jeans. I’m long waisted with bigger thighs but smaller calves and feet. My legs look upside down triangles! It’s also why I don’t wear leggings. With my long waist, the long tops accentuate it, and also my thighs. Yoga pants are fine, especially ones with a slightly flared bottom. But I still feel kind of exposed wearing something tighter around the tush!

My version of skinny jeans was mom jeans, but not as baggy. I would find the looser skinny jeans style from Gloria Vanderbilt.

My favorite has always been flared jeans. They give me a better proportion, and make the bottom half of my legs fit the top.

It is funny to me to see 80’s jeans in style again. I love to tell my 20 year old daughter I used to wear that, and see her roll her eyes lol.
Old 04-11-21, 01:44 PM  
Gams

I love knit denim jeans. They are all I wear anymore - full length in winter and capris in the spring, summer and fall.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 02:09 PM  
Messe

I love skinny jeans but not skin-tight jeans (yes, there’s a difference). I also love girlfriend and some boyfriend jeans — love to roll them up and wear them with booties or ankle boots. I’m too short for regular flares and too tall for petite flares. I have tiny ankles, so cropped wide-leg jeans make me look like Minnie Mouse, plus they’re usually so heavy that they don’t drape well.

As the weather gets warmer, though, I’ll be breaking out the casual dresses and sandals and pushing the jeans to the back of the closet.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fashion, jeans, pants, skinny jeans