Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-21, 01:18 AM  
CS_Margaret_Fan

I rehired our cleaning service last week, which was my top decluttering goal! It's difficult for me to function, let alone declutter when my house isn't clean, and my fibromyalgia and allergies to cleaning products make cleaning difficult. We canceled our cleaning service three years when I quit work because of my disabilities. My family and I decided to make professional cleaning a top financial priority going forward. I'm so happy and relieved!

Ciao,
Christina
Old 03-24-21, 06:29 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 11:28 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

DH and I made two trips to the landfill recently to take recyclables and a few other items we've saved up over the years.

• Cut up cardboard, moving boxes, etc.
  • clean white styrofoam
  • toner cartridges
  • old/used batteries
  • old/stopped working vacuum cleaners
  • plastics, old litter boxes

I usually keep up with most of the cardboard that gets put out with the weekly trash/recycle pickup, but some of the larger cardboard from fitness equipment and TV, computer monitors, or bookshelves I hadn't managed to breakdown/cutup yet.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 11:15 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Managed to put several pieces of clothing into the donate bag and add some books to a bag I want to donate. If could keep this up that would be great.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 07:34 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Just doing a drive-by because I don't have time to post details despite making progress. I am trying to go through the issues of The New Yorker that are piling up so I can toss them. I found this article about "letting things go" and thought of this group. It has a lovely ending:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ow-to-practice
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 08:25 AM  
DCW

I am thinking now of my winter coats and how many do I really need. Time to start whittling down.

Y'all inspire me!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 10:34 AM  
Vantreesta

Leslie, thanks for sharing the article. It was long but I actually sat and read it all! It was good food for thought. I have always attached strongly to things and anthropomorphized as she described (I cried every night for a week after we traded in my beloved Trailblazer Christine, feeling like I had turned my back and walked away from my best friend). It is very hard for me to let go of anything, especially if it was given to me and even harder after losing our moms last year. It is easier to let go if it's to someone I know will get use and appreciate it, but I don't know very many people and I doubt any of them want things I have! Taking things to the thrift store does feel good to an extent bc I know the proceeds go to the Boys & Girls Club and I know things are priced to be more affordable, but it's still hard to let things go to nameless and faceless to me people. But maybe I can try imagining the person who might be an item to help me let go.

DCW, I have a shameful number of winter coats, hats and gloves. I love all things winter but I know I should donate at least a few of the coats. At this point I will wait till next fall since that's when I assume people would be looking for them.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 10:44 AM  
Izzy

My daughter is moving next week and gifting me her almost new mattress. And as soon as I felt appreciative I dreaded what to do with my current mattress which is in good condition. I hated the thought of a landfill and it’s so hard to find any place that will take it. After much searching I found out the local homeless shelter will take it. They super clean them before use. She sadly said the shelter is beyond capacity. I have an older flat screen tv which they will also take. Later I found out that St Vincent De Paul is taking more items now because there is such a need.

My daughter is getting rid of some old furniture and I insisted she take it to a place in Chicago that will repair furniture and sell them in their discount shop. It’s a little but doing our part gives me good feelings.
Old 03-28-21, 03:50 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 07:13 PM  
fanofladyvols

Penny the items left from adult children is a hard dilemma to navigate. Just because there is space for it doesn't necessarily mean it should stay indefinitely. My son has a closet full of items. He hasn't purchased his own home, and hasn't settled really yet but not sure he will any time soon. Not sure when the 'time to take your stuff' conversation occurs.

But I'd like to be able to use that closet.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter