Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-21, 07:54 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I did the 2nd workout in the series (Fine Toning) today. This was different from anything I've seen before. Some work for the feet, toes and ankles as well as wrists and hands. There are also some balance exercises, while extending opposite leg/arm. She warms up the arms raising them in a V position overhead and bringing arms in close to your sides in a W position. There are some rotator cuff exercises with light weights, which are tough with arms raised to shoulder height. It's definitely one of those "sneaky" workouts, though she gets you from the get-go! Some exercises were awkward, but sure to get better with them as I progress and not feel like a duck out of water. Lots of shoulder work that is slow and controlled, either standing or on the mat balanced on your side. There's also more bridge work in this one, but not as tough as using gliders in longer strength workout. You also practice correct pushup form and counter with some stretching. Core is worked with light weights overhead while rolling down (think Pilates here) and coming back up to seated. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but there's challenging stuff here. Many of these slower, more controlled moves weren't easy. You have it in mind that it will be a piece of cake when you grab light weights. Ha, I was wrong about that!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 06:13 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I tried out Jessica's 3rd workout today (Total Body Definition.) This is again one of the longer routines at 51 minutes. For those who need to cut this down because of time constraints, you can omit the core work, after you do two sets of the strength training exercises. It's my intent to use it in this way, and add the core work on a shorter day...mobility, stretch, cardio. The exercises were good here, and everything is slow and controlled. If you like tall box climbs, you will be happy to see familiar weighted lunges. You also do one legged squats in a hinged position, though Jessica faces you head on. I'd like to see how deep she's squats/hinges from the side. Care is used in the lying chest fly exercises by bringing weights together at the chest and then pressing up toward the ceiling to begin lowering weights down and out to the sides, slowly. I appreciated this, since I've suffered from frozen shoulder in the past. She does alternating bicep curls, alternating overhead presses. You also do rows and tricep kickbacks. From floor you also do weighted hip raises and crunches for core. There are also some lying back extensions for posture. Nothing very original in this one and pretty straight-forward.

Current Rotation:
Old 03-18-21, 06:38 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Thanks for the reviews, Pam!
Old 03-19-21, 01:59 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've been doing the workouts in the order they appear in the Lift and Shift Library, since I only just now printed out the rotation calendar.

Since I skipped the core work in Total Body Definition yesterday, I did Core Control today which is only fifteen minutes. It was wonderful and gentle and all done on the floor! Jessica uses a small-medium sized squishy ball that is used between knees, when doing pelvic control work. It's also used in hands for side to side core work. And, the ball is pressed between shoulder blades when reclining to do more ab work. Also again when on your tummy rolling the ball out in front of you to do spine/back extensions. There's a few more things here, but it's nice, short and sweet. If you have used a squishy ball with Pilates workouts you'll like this one, too! But, it's not Tracey Mallett or Suzanne Bowen advanced. It's very accessible to anyone, but you can make a couple exercises more challenging by extending legs in air, instead of keeping feet on floor and grounded (as a modification) for example. I sort of question why this isn't more advanced, since the strength program is for advanced exercisers....but with strength training you can always lighten or up the weight for most programs to suit your needs.

Since this was so brief, I also added a 21 minute Mobility workout (Wind Down.) I only now realized the Lift and shift program included TWO mobility workouts, so I was very pleased about this. The other one is called (Wake Up) so I will try that one another time and it's also 21 minutes. I love mobility work and it's a wonderful addition during a strength training program. A few of the exercise I've seen Jessica do before. I can't remember if some of them are in her most recent Stretch DVD release, but I'm guessing so. She works the feet, stretches toes. My favorite exercise was lunging forward but using a chair to get deeper in the stretch. You have forearms on chair with one leg extending to front side of chair, while on your knees. She also stretches shoulders while seated in a chair or while kneeling in front of chair and reaching opposite hands toward back seat. There's other floor stuff done while seated and if you do ballet, barre, fusion you'll recognize stretches here (pretzel.) ;-)

Current Rotation:
Old 03-19-21, 05:28 PM  
BigBadBetty

I just got my printer going 2 weeks ago for vaccine forms. I realized that I actually had ink and could print out my Lift and Shift calendar. I so rarely have to print anything that my ink cartridges are always dried out. I usually print at work, but I have been working remotely. I rather enjoy crossing off each workout. My printer is so old that it doesn't have drivers for Windows 10, but I was able to get it to work.

I have been enjoying this system so far. I have been stressed lately (1 year of being cooped up, moving in with fiance, busy work, etc.). It is really nice not having to think about which workout to do. I have done the first 5 workouts. I am not crazy about floor work, but so far it hasn't been too bad. I have trouble with certain kinds of floor work...my wrists are a bit iffy and my hips are weird. The amount of push ups so far was tolerable.

I really like Fine Toning. Some of the exercises were ones I remember was shoulder physical therapy years ago. My shoulder has been bothering me a bit since the pandemic started. It wasn't enough to risk going to PT in a pandemic, especially because the PT I love works in a major hospital.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 07:48 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I just got my printer going 2 weeks ago for vaccine forms. I realized that I actually had ink and could print out my Lift and Shift calendar. I so rarely have to print anything that my ink cartridges are always dried out. I usually print at work, but I have been working remotely. I rather enjoy crossing off each workout. My printer is so old that it doesn't have drivers for Windows 10, but I was able to get it to work.
Just an FYI re printing: check your local library. I belong to two different systems. Both systems, at all branches, offer free printing. You just email the file and they notify you when it's ready. One system allows 20 pages a day, just b&w. Another system near me also allows up to 20 pages a day but will print in color.

The closest branch to me is only 1.5 miles so it's very convenient. I have had HUNDREDS of pages of work & personal stuff printed for free during the pandemic. (I hope this service doesn't go away when we get back to "normal".)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 08:06 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Just an FYI re printing: check your local library. I belong to two different systems. Both systems, at all branches, offer free printing. You just email the file and they notify you when it's ready. One system allows 20 pages a day, just b&w. Another system near me also allows up to 20 pages a day but will print in color.

The closest branch to me is only 1.5 miles so it's very convenient. I have had HUNDREDS of pages of work & personal stuff printed for free during the pandemic. (I hope this service doesn't go away when we get back to "normal".)
Ooh, that's a good idea. I hate to buy another printer for such little use. It took the pandemic for my work to realize that printing and signing paper is a waste, but there is still an occasion that I may need a page for something personal.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 01:17 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm back again to report on today's workout (Total Body Stamina) Fundamental Circuits at 41 minutes....

This was three circuits, working mainly larger muscle groups. The exception to this is the core work that is done on the floor. I used my kettlebells for the squat to overhead presses, the one arm rows, and the deadlifts because I was able to really go heavy here. I have Powerblocks but don't always like to use them, when I'd have to pause the workout between exercises to get the correct weight. So, kettlebells worked great for most things, though I don't get the grip strength you would normally get with dumbbells. For chest presses I used my dumbbells, though.

This was good and challenging for me. You change the rep speed on each circuit to vary the exercises. Jessica did this for the core work as well. To balance out the core work you do Cobra press ups, which felt great. I do feel time could be shaved off on some of the floor/back work as it gets repetitive and may not be beneficial with the number of repetitions.

Jessica is pretty low key in these workouts, but encouraging. It makes me miss the high energy of Cathe when you're trying to push through a tough set. Also, the volume of music is really low. I guess it's so Peanut can nap and not be disturbed.

Current Rotation:
Old 03-23-21, 09:48 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Lift and Shift Program workouts!

Session #1: Total Body Strength [Compound Supersets] (50 Minutes)

Session #2: Fine Toning (31 Minutes)

Session #3: Total-Body Definition [Paired Supersets] (51 Minutes)

Session #4: Total-Body Stamina [The Fundamentals Circuit] (41 Minutes)

Session #5: Mobility Moves: Wind Down (21 Minutes)

Session #6: Lower-Body Circuit (42 Minutes)

Session #7: Upper-Body Circuit (44 Minutes)

Session #8: Core Control [Functional Sequence Series] (15 Minutes)

Session #9: Total-Body Circuit [Primary Moves] (54 Minutes)

Session #10: Mobility Moves: Wake Up Mix (21 Minutes)

Session #11: High-Intensity Interval Resistance Training [HIIRT] (52 Minutes)

Session #12: Core Challenge [Performance Sequence Series] (11 Minutes)

BONUS Session: Express [Post-Workout] Stretch (5 Minutes)

Current Rotation:
Old 03-27-21, 02:03 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Lift and Shift Total Body Strength Compound Supersets

Jessica Smith Lift and Shift Total Body Strength Compound Supersets

50 minutes

Light, medium, heavy dumbbells, gliding disks, mat

All modifications are briefly modeled on an inset screen

Warmup

5:38- 20 reps -Plie Squat Half Up- 1 heavy dumbbell

6:45- 20 reps each leg- Sliding Side Squat with gliding disks and 1 heavy weight

9:40- 20 reps each leg- Sprinters Lunge with 2 moderate weights

13:03- 10 reps- Sliding Double Leg Bridge with gliding disks, no weights

14:30- 10 reps- Pushups with Extension Release

16:05- 8 reps- Single Alternating Arm Chest Press with 2 heavy weights followed by
4 reps with both arms at once.

17:20- 20 reps- Upper Body Back Pull with 2 light weights

19:30- 20 reps- Squatting Bent Over Row with 2 moderate to heavy weights

20:45- 20 reps- Scooping Overhead Press with 2 lighter to moderate weights

22:30- 20 reps- Balancing Biceps Curls with 2 lighter to moderate weights (balance on 1 leg for balance and core if you can)

24:00 -20 Reps- Overhead Triceps Extension light to moderate weights

25:30- 20 reps- Elbow Plank Sliding Knee Tucks with gliding disks (or modify with hip pike)

26:40- 20 reps- Alternating Crossover Diamond Pulsing Crunch

28:10- 10 reps- Spine Extension with Angel Sweep

Repeat of 1st Circuit starts at 29:34

Extremely short cooldown and stretch, as with the other strength workouts in this series. A separate 5 minute bonus stretch is included, plus there are the shorter mobility workouts included in the series.

Tags
eccentric weight training, jessica smith, jessica smith get strong, jessica smith strength, lift and shift, lift and shift reviews, purple player, streaming reviews, streaming workouts, strength rotation