Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-21, 06:46 PM  
bfit

Sort of OT: What Should I Be Expecting From a Physical Therapist?

I'm trying to get back in good physical condition after months of dealing with a broken foot (which is supposedly now healed). I've been going to PT for a couple of months (about every 2 weeks), but I don't think it's helping me that much. I don't see any connection between the exercises I'm supposed to do and any long term goals like being able to go for long strenuous walks. When I ask the PT about how to work back into things like that he says "Well, you just have to try it and see how it goes". Well, no way am I going to go out and go for a 5 mile hike right now! I'm getting no guidance on how to build up. I know other people who have gotten very specific instructions like walk XX distance for XX days a week building up no more than XX% over XX period of time at XX speed with XX shoes. Is that typical, or am I expecting too much from my PT?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 07:46 PM  
jusca

Edit: I don't feel confident enough to comment in specific detail on this topic after second thought so I deleted my initial comment.

I think BunnyHop below has good advice.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 07:51 PM  
BunnyHop

I think I'd find a different PT.

You're looking for guidance, but haven't gotten it.

OTOH, make sure they know you want a specific action plan to follow.

My dad had several PTs over the years, and they always told us what he could do, what he should avoid, and how to build up safely.
Old 03-16-21, 08:10 AM  
buffmama

Sometimes switching to a different PT in the same practice can even get you what you need. That was my experience. And they should definitely be able to explain the benefit of the what they're recommending.
Old 03-16-21, 08:29 AM  
Izzy

I agree with Bunny Hop, look for another PT. I have had many PT's over the years and most were not very dedicated or good. The one after my knee replacement was very good. Like anything else, you get good service or not good service. I would ask around to friends and family and maybe they can make a recommendation. Your PT should be giving you exercises to do at home. And when you are asking what you can do to get back on your feet (pardon the pun) they should be giving you specific goals and guidelines.
Old 03-16-21, 12:40 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

See whether Yelp has any reviews on prospective PTs.

there are also sites dedicated to users' reviews of medical professionals.

EDITED TO ADD:
although this was for an orthopedic surgeon (OS), my primary care doc had initially referred me to OS #1. it was a total zoo in that office - i had an appointment but waited almost 2 hours to be seen. it was standing room only, obviously overbooked, and people brought their entire family with them. i told the clerk i was leaving and why.

called my doc's nurse and explained what happened, so she gave me another referral. OS #2 was exceptional. it was a calm office, i was seen right away, older MD, and he gave me a reassuring assessment.

so yes, i second the idea of asking your primary doc for referrals and explain what you're looking for.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 12:50 PM  
alisoncooks

I went through two different PTs after my ACL surgery. The first was very whole-body focused, mostly doing core exercises with me. And I'm sure I needed it, but I also needed a specific action plan for my knee! I wanted to see how I was progressing. After mentioning this to my surgeon, he referred me to another practice and that went better for me. (I liked the first practice and wish I could go there as a well individual to strengthen my core!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 02:08 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I know other people who have gotten very specific instructions like walk XX distance for XX days a week building up no more than XX% over XX period of time at XX speed with XX shoes. Is that typical, or am I expecting too much from my PT?
I've seen a few different PTs. The one I like best did give me specific goals. They usually start with an assessment (range of motion, strength, etc.) and then create a list of goals. The first few appointments were usually mobilization--heat, electrical stimulation, and gentle stretches. Once I wasn't all tight or in pain, they'd gradually start giving me exercises.

The two PTs I liked (at different practices) would tell me to go out and say, try run/walk for a total of 10 minutes to see how it felt.

I personally have had better luck at smaller offices. At the two big ones I went to, I barely saw the PT and spent forever waiting for the techs to help me get equipment and set up for each exercise. At the smaller ones, there was a lot more individual attention.

One other thing--the exercises might not seem relevant, but both my good PTs worked a variety of areas. I saw both of them for two different hip issues, and they made sure to help me rebuild my glute, quad, and overall core strength along with hips to help prevent issues. If you ask why you're doing a particular exercise, they should be able to explain how this will help your current issue and goals.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 02:08 PM  
DCW

I now tell my medical folks what I use to do physically and I need them to show me how I get back to that level.

Most clients are not that physically active so their "normal" recovery is not our normal expectation of complete recovery.

Finding the right therapist is the key.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 04:07 PM  
diggerholliday

I also recommend getting another PT. I lucked out in getting an amazing PT the first time round. I had a hip injury compounded by gait instability due to a Morton's neuroma in my right foot.
I would start off on the treadmill walking in all directions, including walking lunges. She gave me lots of old school exercises, think clams and hydrants, along with single leg standing/balancing work. She alternated with weights and reps. Sometimes I would do x exercise to exhaustion or x exercise weighted for x reps. She ended the sessions with massage therapy using different, incredibly painful, tools. She always gave me homework too. I wished I could have afforded to keep going on my own once the insurance approved sessions ran out.
I now tell everyone this is what a PT session should be like.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot injury, physical therapist, physical therapy