Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-21, 04:50 PM  
amery

Judy, yes, I do find compound exercises hard. In fact, they usually induce dread for me. However, even though there are a lot of them in this series, the repetitions aren't too high, and with each workout being only 30 minutes, they seem more do-able.
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 08:29 PM  
SueT

Judy, I just did the Upper Body Strength workout today, and it was definitely slow and controlled. Even the compound moves in Metabolic Conditioning and Total Body Strength are very controlled. You’ll never feel like you’re throwing around your weights.

I hope you love the workouts as much as I do!

SueT
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 08:04 AM  
Gardengirl

Well, I did Metabolic Conditioning yesterday and it was damned hard....without the step! I doubt I’ll ever be doing that workout with a step lol! But I did get through it. I guess, with perseverance, it will get easier. Amery, I’m hoping that I don’t develop the dread that usually comes with compound moves. Hoping that the diversity will keep me going!

On tap for today is Total Body. I may be following Debbie a lot over the course of this rotation. 😎

SueT, glad to hear that the weight workouts maybe more to my liking than the metabolic ones. At least I won’t have dread factor on those!

I know that my dread factor on compound moves is because it’s a weak point and hopefully I can push myself for 30 minutes and make some gain.
Old 02-02-21, 11:24 AM  
SueT

Judy, what I do with the compound moves is just keep my weights relatively light, and I don’t use a step, either. I want to make sure not to aggravate my knee and slow my progress.

The workouts will feel easier the more you do them, especially when you know what’s coming up. The first time is always the hardest. I just missed four days of working out, and I just picked up the rotation where I left off. I’ve decided not to stress out if I miss a day or a few days and just keep going when I can.

I hope you enjoy the rotation once you get used to it.

SueT
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 11:53 AM  
Gardengirl

SueT, your outlook is much the same as mine. I don't always start a rotation on Mondays (like I used to) and sometimes I miss a day and just pick up where I left off. It's more now about doing "something" most days of the week and less about specifics, and just staying healthy. And you're right, the first time does always seem harder just because of fear of the unknown... lol! I really want to like these workouts, so I hope that happens. But, even if I don't warm up to the compound moves, it does look like there are lots of other workouts that I will like. So, worst case scenario is that I might substitute the compound move stuff and throw in some HIIT without weights, but that would be throwing in the towel and I do want to keep going and make "metabolic progress".
Old 02-02-21, 09:24 PM  
TinaT

Walk Strong 3 has a 10% discount on Amazon right now. I owed this a while back and decided to get it again. I think Jessica puts together great routines. I'm a major fan of compound moves and she does plenty. And, I never have been able to follow a rotation. I use most of my Series as just more options to choose from. I agree, just do something is better than nothing.

Stay motivated!!
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 09:01 AM  
amery

Another thought on compound moves: If there's a move you are not enjoying, pick just the upper body OR lower body move to complete. Sometimes I feel like I've done ENOUGH pulsing lunges in a workout, so when they come up again, I might not do them and just do the arms. It took me YEARS to give myself permission to do that. I'm such a rebel now.
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 09:05 AM  
Gardengirl

Lol! Novel idea! I always viewed that as cheating.... but not anymore! I actually think that I get more out of an upper body weight move sometimes without trying to balance or pulse.

Amazing the things we can justify if we give ourselves permission.
Old 02-03-21, 04:25 PM  
Gardengirl

An update to my rotation, loved the Cardio Fusion workout. Was doable and fun. Really liked the Total Body workout and also found it doable. So the metabolic one is the only one I’ve struggled with so far. 😊
Old 02-03-21, 05:12 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
An update to my rotation, loved the Cardio Fusion workout. Was doable and fun. Really liked the Total Body workout and also found it doable. So the metabolic one is the only one I’ve struggled with so far. 😊
Ah yeah, that one's just hard. I think its role in the rotation is for us to struggle with.

I do it with a step with no risers, and light light weights, and I sub in something else if I'm injured at all.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith rotation, walk strong 3