Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-21, 08:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Pam, thank for the tip on Nanospikes. I have never heard of them but ice is the only reason I don't always run outside in the winter. I'll check them out.

I bought the Yaktrax chains for walking bc the ones with coils always smashed down and the coils would spiral off. I very rarely use them bc I don't like wearing them where there isn't ice and we don't often have full ice coverage. I wear snowboots all winter for walks bc I'm always stepping in snow to clean up after my dog. They have good traction but I am slow and careful when we hit ice patches.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 08:34 PM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pam, thank for the tip on Nanospikes. I have never heard of them but ice is the only reason I don't always run outside in the winter. I'll check them out.

I bought the Yaktrax chains for walking bc the ones with coils always smashed down and the coils would spiral off. I very rarely use them bc I don't like wearing them where there isn't ice and we don't often have full ice coverage. I wear snowboots all winter for walks bc I'm always stepping in snow to clean up after my dog. They have good traction but I am slow and careful when we hit ice patches.
Frequently my runs alternate between dirt, packed snow and ice and the Nanospikes have been ok on the dirt. It would be too interrupting to keep taking them off and on. They might not last as long with me using them on dirt, but I am ok with that.
Old 01-02-21, 08:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Hmm, that's a good point. I run in town so maybe there's not really a reliable option that doesn't require frequent replacement.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 12:39 PM  
anetta

Hand and feet warmers, plus layers.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 01:28 PM  
mimikz

Yes to what everyone else has said. I'll add that *adjustable* layers are key for me. Once I get going, up hills and the like, I like the flexibility of unzipping when I heat up. I also like hoods to use or not, and not be bothered with carrying or remembering to take in the first place. Enjoy!!

Mimi K
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 05:45 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Yes, layers. I wear a wicking long sleeve top and a heavy insulated fleece. If the top doesn’t cover my neck, I wear a neck gaiter. As someone mentioned, covered no the neck makes a big difference. I also wear either a hat or a knit headband that covers my ears. I usually wear yoga pants which honestly aren’t very warm. If it’s really cold I will wear pants with fleece lining and a very thin lightweight thermal layer underneath. I like the Heattech bottoms from Uniqlo.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, nanospikes, walking boots, yaktrax