Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-20, 11:03 PM  
OSusanna

Step Kings and Queens

I’m loving step videos right now. I like that I have to focus to learn new routines and that I have to be very present in the moment to hear the cues. I’m getting better with picking up combinations. I find that getting better at learning is quite rewarding and fun. I would like to know from you:

1. Who do you think is the best cuer out there?
2. Who has the most interesting routines?
3. Who has the most athletic workouts?
4. What has been your top 3 step workouts over the years?
5. Do you still do step?
6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there?

Cheers and thanks for participating!
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 07:43 AM  
owltx

This is such a fun question(s) for me! I love step!!

Hmmmm . . . this one's tough. I think it depends on where you are in learning step. Christi Taylor is a great cuer, and really good if you are learning step. Once you are more advanced, I actually think Cathe is a really good cuer - but I know not everyone loves her cuing. Her timing for me works really well.

Seasun Zieger. Fantastic choreo, fantastic music.

3. Who has the most athletic workouts?
Amy Bento

Seasun Zieger's Z-fit Step
Amy Bento's ASC 2 (no, 3. no, 2. no I can't make up my mind!! )
Cathe's Step Blast (probably about to be overtaken by Party Rocking Step)

5. Do you still do step?
Yes!!! I do limit it to once a week or it tends to trigger a plantar fasciitis episode.

Gay Gasper - her All Out Infused Step is such a freaking awesome workout. I love her All Cardio one too. She has great choreo, not too much TIFT'ing, and love the music and energy.
Old 04-28-20, 08:57 AM  
muggle

Oh I love this! I hope others will post because I love step. Would be great to hear other people opinions. I mostly do Cathe for step.....so I can’t give a well rounded opinion. Sorry.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 09:20 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Oh I love this! I hope others will post because I love step. Would be great to hear other people opinions. I mostly do Cathe for step.....so I can’t give a well rounded opinion. Sorry.
Cathe is also my go to! Love her step routines! And once you get to know her basic steps and cueing, it's easier to catch on to her more difficult ones.

There are just too many favorites for me to name. Her Greatest Hits Step DVD includes many of them. Also, love Rhythmic Step and the Party Rocking Step Workouts. Then there are the shorter routines on CTX and 4DS. Her newest series is easier, but I find them just fun, fun, fun! See...I can't choose .
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 10:01 AM  
bergame
VF Supporter

I wholeheartedly agree with Stephanie's comments on everything. Amy Bento's ASC2 - yes! Seasun - yes!

Here are some others, but before leaving the more beaten Cathe path, I'd recommend her classic Rhythmic Step.

Kristin Kagen (Step This Way and Step This Way 2) and Franny Benedetto (from CIA series) are instructors from days of yore, but if you can find their workouts, they are solid, fun and well-cued.

I think people either love or hate KCM's Step-Boxing videos (she has four of them). I love the aspect of getting a good upper body workout while stepping and she comes up with interesting, doable combinations.

Steven SanSoucie is a relative newcomer who does a nice job of cueing while providing an intermediate cardio challenge. I'll usually pick up some handweights for step routines like his where I enjoy the choreography but need a little extra cardio boost beyond what the workout provides.

Looking at my workout log (started in July 2003), I am unsurprised to see that Gilad's Step and Tone is my most used step workout. Nothing fancy, nothing dancy, but the efficiency of his step plus upper body weight routine keeps me pulling this one out even though I am generally a choreography fiend when it comes to step.
Tracey Staehle High Intensity Step Mix
Christi Taylor Solid Gold Step

5. Do you still do step?
I still do step a couple times a week. I had a hip replacement last summer and, in trying to kinda sorta adhere to my doctor's advice to avoid impact, I find that step routines often require the least amount of modifying to keep things low-impact.

Shout-out to Kari Anderson for her grace and cueing.
bergame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 10:06 AM  
psupam

I love step; it is my favorite cardio although I have to keep it low impact. Right now I am not able to do it as I am recovering from a knee replacement but I hope to return to it. I consider Kari Anderson to be excellent at cueing and I consider her workouts to be the most fun and interesting. She makes me feel like I am dancing. I think Kathy Smith, Charlene Prickett and Karen Voight have more athletic workouts. I don't really have 3 favorites but Hot Steps, Bench Works and Energy Sprint make me feel like I have really accomplished something.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 01:25 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

1. Who do you think is the best cuer out there? Gin Miller's cueing in Intense Moves is impeccable. Christi Taylor and Kari Anderson are very good, too.
2. Who has the most interesting routines? Kari Anderson, Deirdre Morris, Christi Taylor, Cathe Friedrich
3. Who has the most athletic workouts? Gin Miller
4. What has been your top 3 step workouts over the years? My criteria for top three are the ones I consider to be the most fun. Deirdre Morris in Tap Less and Step More, G-Force in Super Step, and Kari Anderson in Body Tech
5. Do you still do step? Yes, once or twice a week.
6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there? Kari Anderson

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 02:27 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post
I’m loving step videos right now. I like that I have to focus to learn new routines and that I have to be very present in the moment to hear the cues. I’m getting better with picking up combinations. I find that getting better at learning is quite rewarding and fun. I would like to know from you:

I think Christi Taylor is the best cuer, but her workouts are on the more complex side.

I have to say Christi Taylor again, I really love her choreography. It's interesting without being complex just for the sake of being complex.

3. Who has the most athletic workouts? Gin Miller has some pretty athletic ones, but also Cathe, depending on which ones.

Charlene Prickett's We Love Step (and most of Charlene's step workouts which were the ones I did most when I did step several times a week); Gin Miller Step Reebock Intense Moves; Christi Taylor's Totally Cool Step (the most fun step workout I have ever done)

5. Do you still do step? Yes, I go in spurts of doing it pretty frequently, to not doing it for months.

6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there? I agree with others, Gay Gasper is a great instructor and did several really good step workouts. I have to give a plug for Jenny Ford also. If you're looking to learn step or want step workouts with easier choreography, she is great.

Cheers and thanks for participating!
This was fun!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 06:05 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

1. Who do you think is the best cuer out there? Rebecca Small

2. Who has the most interesting routines? Easier - Kari Anderson; More complex - Rebecca Small

3. Who has the most athletic workouts (that I have done)? Gilad

a. Body Tech by Kari Anderson
b. Step & Tone by Gilad
c. Step Mechanic by Rebecca Small (and it's on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcrbbXICTJM)

5. Do you still do step? I got away from doing step a long time ago. Maybe I should get back to it at some point.

6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there? Rebecca Small - she's great and most people have never heard of her.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 07:31 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Best cuer -- Christi and Franny B were terrific cuers. Steven SanSoucie is a great cuer of the current crop.

Most interesting -- Christi, Seasun Zieger. Seasun was so creative, may she rest in peace. Again, Steven S. currently. I also like Deidre Morris' one effort and Kristin Kagen's Step My Way 1 and 2. And of course Patrick Goudeau!!

Most athletic -- either Cathe or Amy Bento Ross.

Top 3 step workouts. Jeez I just don't know. I've got so many and have done so many over the years! Some that are memorable --- Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step 2 (I prefer it over 1); Joan Pitt's CIA workout, Amy Bento's ASC2, any of Patrick G's step workouts. Cathe's IMAXes. Yes, that's more than 3.

Yes, I still do step. I stopped for awhile, but picked it up again a couple times a week.

I also agree that Gay Gasper is underrated. Her workouts aren't flashy, but they are solid and fun!

A lot of these answers go back a few years. Step lost it's popularity so fewer instructors seem to do them. I'm glad Cathe and Steven SanSoucie have both done new ones.

LauraS, I have heard of Rebecca Small and always wanted to try her but couldn't find anything. Thanks so much for the You Tube link!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite step, step, step aerobics, step workouts