Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-19, 08:44 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
The bursitis going way really opened my eyes to the power of walking and moving in general. It was a really good test case. I honestly didn't even think about my hip until a week or so later when it dawned on me that I had no pain whatsoever.
Has it changed anything in your routine now that you're back home?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 02:32 PM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
OOOOHHHHH … you mean, like, ballet flats with thin soles. Gotchya.
Exactly!
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 02:38 PM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Has it changed anything in your routine now that you're back home?
I wish I could say yes. Initially I did make it a point to leave my desk and walk for 30-40 minutes, but the weather here has been so so. I also tend to justify being sedentary at work with the fact that I work out when I get home, but I have found walking to be a different kind of exercise altogether, so I'm not giving up on it. Just have to make time to do it.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 02:43 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
The bursitis going way really opened my eyes to the power of walking and moving in general. It was a really good test case. I honestly didn't even think about my hip until a week or so later when it dawned on me that I had no pain whatsoever.
This has encouraged me! I've had bursitis in one hip for a while now, and have struggled to get going again. Looks like joining the Y and walking on their treadmills really will do me some good. I'm hoping to be able to pick up my speed and just go out walking, but for now the variable speeds available on the treadmill are a big help.
Old 06-18-19, 03:43 PM  
Cowgirl32

Europe!
Old 06-18-19, 04:38 PM  
weloscanoe

Surface matters!

I've done a lot of walking vacations and have realized that the surface I'm walking on matters hugely for the comfort of my feet. If hard concrete, like New York, cushioning. If uneven, like trails, support so that my foot's little muscles aren't gripping so hard all day long. Cobblestones, in between / both if possible. And changing up the combo of shoe/sock and insole helps, too! Finally, I take things to roll my feet on (squishy balls, marbles, tennis, etc.), to work the kinks out each night. Makes a huge difference!

But I think the others who pointed out training specificity are exactly right: you need to walk to get fit for walking. It doesn't matter so much for a trip lasting a couple of days, but for a walking-based vacation, silly as it sounds, training is a good idea. For me. YMMV.
weloscanoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking, walking shoes