Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-13, 04:29 PM  
thaispice

club quality step

Hi VFers,

After a hiatus of many years, I'm venturing back into the world of step aerobics. Which step model do you like best, and where can I get it most cheaply? I'm willing to go to a brick-and-mortar store (instead of buying online) if that's cheaper.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
thaispice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 11:46 PM  
CatInTheHat

I don't really have recommendations as I've only used that blue step with the purple risers you see in most gyms.

Depending where you live, I'd check Craigslist. People sell a lot of good things on there, so you may be able to get one so cheap that if you don't like it, it's not a waste and you can try again. The closer you are to a city the more luck you will probably have with Craigslist.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:20 AM  
BigBadBetty

I found my on eBay. It's the same step as you would find at a health club. You must be careful if buying online. There is a similar step that is smaller than the club step. People online don't always label them correctly. Pay attention to the dimensions. You should also check shipping costs on eBay. It will seem like a bargain and then they want $30 for shipping.

I haven't had much luck finding one on Craigslist, but I would still try. I would like to get a second one for my boyfriend's house.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 03:08 PM  
thaispice

Thank you both. I have had zero luck on Craigslist as well. Another question, how much overhead clearance do you think is reasonable to do step aerobics effectively? I have a very low ceiling in my exercise room so would have about 14" of room above my head if I was standing on top of the step using 2 risers. Is that sufficient, or should I can the whole idea?
Old 01-15-13, 12:04 PM  
BigBadBetty

I don't want you to think I am ignoring you, but I don't do step aerobics. I use my step for strength training. Step aerobics require too much floor room and coordination for me to use. I had one Jane Fonda tape (yes, tape) that I could use. For my purposes, you would have enough space above your head. I guess you could try standing on a stool or a few books and raising your hand. I sometimes modify to fit my space, too. Maybe just don't raise your arms all the way or something like that if you don't have the space.

Good luck in finding one!
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 01:21 PM  
thaispice

Thank you, Betty! I'm going to try your stool idea. I still haven't found an affordable used step though...

Tags
step, step aerobics