Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-22, 05:58 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, caring words, and support. I hope that other VFers will also find some resources on this thread to help them with their own mental health issues.

My source of stress is bit a different, I think, in that I have had a sort of life change recently where my source of stress, namely my mother's ill health, ended when she passed away on April 22nd. The months leading up to her death were very stressful, as she was in a great deal of pain and became quite disabled in her last few weeks. Now it's over and I am having trouble refocusing my energy and making a transition to a normal life without my mother in it. At least, I believe that is the reason for my feelings of anxiety.

I will definitely be checking out some yoga practices and meditations. I already keep a journal that works for me, walk (outdoors when I can) for exercise, and I try to do some sort of yoga with relaxing music 2 or 3 times a week (but I'd like to increase that!).

Vintage VFer, I have been doing some self talk recently that just sort of came to me out of thin air one day. I was feeling particularly stressed in the days leading up to my mom's funeral and afterward, so I would say to myself something like "I am calm, I am well, I am strong, I have purpose, I can do this...etc., etc." It helped to keep me focused and centered when I felt like just zoning out or running away!

Venus, thanks for the Rodney Yee link. I've saved it to a playlist, as I don't think I have a DVD with that practice on it. I do, however, have the Elena Brower DVD you suggested, but I haven't tried it in quite some time, so I will pull it out and give it try soon.

Leigh1673 I have saved a Travis Elliot playlist but haven't tried anything from it yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Donna
I am sorry for your loss and for the difficult time you went and are going through. I am going through a similar thing, my mother ill expected to die this year and all that it entails. It is no joke with the stress. I want to be taking excellent care of myself but sometimes it is all I can do to put one foot in front of another and do what must be done. There are definitely times of difficulty with focus as well. I love all the suggestions here. What a supportive community.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 08:03 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I started with almost-paralyzing anxiety during Covid-shutdown. Here are the things I implemented in order to be able to function (many of which have already been suggested):
  • End the WorkDay and Transition to "Me" Time: at 4pm I logged off (I was teleworking at the time) & would not look at work emails nor talk to anyone about work after that hour.
  • Go Outside: I immediately went outside, usually to a nearby state park. And walked. Usually about an hour. Sometimes going at a fast pace helped. Sometimes I just strolled. I usually went on familiar paths or trails so that my brain could relax. Walking for about an hour usually helped me unwind.
  • Meditate: for 5-15 minutes; either back at home, or somewhere nice along my walk.
  • Stick to a Strict Evening Quiet / Wind-down Routine: After my walk, I'd fix dinner, clean up. I did not listen to any news. I did not scroll / browse internet or social media. Played quiet music. Sometimes diffused essential oil. I would do 10-15 minutes of gentle yoga. I really liked Kassandra's series of short evening routines. Then sometimes I would read for about 30 minutes, usually a self-help book or positive reinforcement. NO SCREENS / DEVICES !!

I hope any or all of those ideas help you. I never experienced anxiety before in my life so it was very unsettling.

-Anita
This sounds really nice. I think I might have to implement some of your ideas! Thanks for sharing.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 08:56 PM  
DCW

I am sorry for your lost. Losing a parent is hard. The stress of illness and death is so much on the body and spirit.

I have found that looking at funny tv shows or listening to comedians anything to make me laugh and smile helps too.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 08:09 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I am sorry for your lost. Losing a parent is hard. The stress of illness and death is so much on the body and spirit.

I have found that looking at funny tv shows or listening to comedians anything to make me laugh and smile helps too.
Yes funny tv shows before bed are a must!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 10:30 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Yes funny tv shows before bed are a must!
I often watch Friends before bed! It's like a funny comfortable old friend!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 11:52 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, caring words, and support. I hope that other VFers will also find some resources on this thread to help them with their own mental health issues.

My source of stress is bit a different, I think, in that I have had a sort of life change recently where my source of stress, namely my mother's ill health, ended when she passed away on April 22nd. The months leading up to her death were very stressful, as she was in a great deal of pain and became quite disabled in her last few weeks. Now it's over and I am having trouble refocusing my energy and making a transition to a normal life without my mother in it. At least, I believe that is the reason for my feelings of anxiety.

Donna
From what I've learned in my own situation, our brains are pliable and can change. They adjust to a stressful situation. Then when it's gone, the anxiety starts because the circuits in our brain have been rewired. You are on the right track with the things you are doing, especially the self talk. It takes time to change the circuitry of our brains back to normal, and it's a process that takes time. Hugs.
Old 05-27-22, 01:34 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

[]
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 01:59 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
This sounds really nice. I think I might have to implement some of your ideas! Thanks for sharing.
(((hugs)))) I hope whatever you choose works for you!
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: completed BUILD; doing FUSION and CONDITION
ManFlowYoga: Beginner's FUNdamentals (completed Rnd 1; starting Rnd 2)
YogaGlo: Beginner's Path - Light (Rnd 2); completed Vinyasa Flow 101
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 09:44 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I often watch Friends before bed! It's like a funny comfortable old friend!
Yes Friends is always a good comfort show. My current before bed show is Schitt's Creek. Cycling through it for about the 10th time
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, anxiety relief, grief, journal, journals, meditation, mental health, mindfulness, self care, yoga for anxiety