Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-22, 09:10 PM  
ChelePA

VVfer… you have the series 7 Apple Watch, right? I’ve been using it mainly for the health data. The heart rate and activity measurements seem to be on track so far. But boy the blood oxygen levels are completely crazy. I realize the wrist is not the best place to take these type of measurements. My random readings will range anywhere from 77 to 100%. When I manually activate it and don’t move as required, it is always 99-100%. Not sure why they added it to the watch if it was so unreliable. Or there should be a setting to turn it off since readings are only accurate when not moving.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 09:30 AM  
ChelePA

On my peloton schedule was 10 minutes core. 10 minutes light weights and arms. 20 minutes upper body with medium/heavy weights. 5 minutes upper body stretch Finished with a 20 minute cycling class and lower body stretch.
Old 03-29-22, 11:41 AM  
Mickey12

Hello Watulans!

Last night I finished up my Daniel Plan set and did the two remaining workouts on it - Cardio Abs and Upper Body. These two workouts were each about 30 minutes, not led by Stephanie Huckabee, but by two of the other participants. I wasn't thrilled with the other cardio workout in this set since it was just drills, but the cardio abs workout was good. It was 2 ab exercises then 1 minute of cardio. Blocks of exercises were done twice and then you move on. My only complaint was that it required a lot of up and down from the floor to standing. I don't mind it, but I know some people have trouble with that. The Upper Body workout was grouped by 2 upper body moves, then those two move combined, then 1 minute of cardio. Each block of exercises was done twice and then you move on. I thought it was a very inventive way to structure the workout. Nothing was too difficult but of course, using heavier weights would make it harder. I really enjoy the spiritual aspect of the workouts and they are great for days when I'm feeling a little down. I have a little collection of faith-based workouts and The Daniel Plan is now on the shelf in that category.

Cataddict I hope you get some good answers from the physiatrist. My back and thighs have been feeling a little tweaky (as has my left arm and hand with some numbness) and I started taking gabapentin again. I'm very thankful that it works for me as I know it does not help some people.
Old 03-29-22, 11:46 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Chele - I found an article on the Apple Watch 7's Oxygen Sensor accuracy:

How to use the Blood Oxygen app on your Apple Watch

"How accurate is measuring blood oxygen from the wrist?

It’s great that Apple is able to offer this piece of data, but is it actually reliable? Well, just like using light-based technology to measure heart rate from the wrist, it’s using a similar method to take blood oxygen measurements. That does bring some similar issues in regards to getting accurate data or data at all.

Apple outlines some factors that could impact on getting reliable measurements including having tattoos or experiencing low skin perfusion, which can be caused by being in cold environments. You may struggle to get readings if your heart rate is too high too.

Motion and moving your wrist around can affect readings, just as it does on other smartwatches and fitness trackers that measure blood oxygen. It’s likely a reason why Apple and the likes of Fitbit choose to take measurements during sleep where that motion issue is reduced.

There’s also reasons why in the medical realms, using a pulse oximeter that sits on your fingertip to non-invasively take measurements is the favoured approach. From that part of the body it’s considered to reduce those potential issues you can experience at the wrist.

Dedicated pulse oximeters take a different light based approach to measuring blood oxygen as well, sending two wavelengths of light through body tissue as opposed to the light reflection method used by Apple and others like Garmin, Fitbit and Huawei. Blood also sits closer to the surface skin on the finger making it a better place to take measurements.

Apple doesn’t state how accurate it’s blood oxygen sensor is and likely won’t delve into the accuracy discussion unless it starts making it suitable for medical grade measurements like its ECG heart rate sensor."

Back to the MeetUp bathroom issue. The park does have a YMCA, but it was temporarily closed. No one else seemed concerned about no bathroom. I didn't drink as much water as I would have liked.

I started making my own lip and body balms a few years ago. Most of my supplies had expired so I made a simple batch. I'll use a wax (beeswax, cera bellina), and butter (shea, cocoa, ghee), and oils (jojoba, coconut, etc.). I used to make my own perfumes years ago. I even make my own CBD balm. I hate cooking, but for some reason, making balms is fun for me. I really have trouble sticking to recipes. Things usually turn out pretty well anyway.

I had a scare the other night. My hip, spine, pelvis and shoulder on the left side starting hurting severely. I do have issues, but not usually that bad all at once. I was worried that I may have fractured another vertebra. (I got a vertebral compression fracture in 2018 from coughing). I have been lifting a lot of heavy boxes and unpacking and arranging things.

I lucked out and got an appointment with my primary the next afternoon. I really like her as she treats me like a person, not an annoyance. She sent me for x-rays and I received the results this morning. NO NEW FRACTURE!
Again some of it is age-related issues and injuries. I still am having pain. Not as bad though.

Well, this was a moby for me!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 05:55 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Watulans, it's Tuesday!

Workouts so far this week were:
Sun: Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength 1 (UG, so fun but hard!)
Mon: CL #50, Muscle Max (no step) which had Brenda's sister!
Tues: Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength 2 (still hard but easier than CS1 to me)

I wish I had the rotation calendar for the Peak 10 system but I don't....I'm very curious what she suggests as these workouts just slay me and I can't imagine doing eight weeks of just them...but I'm curious! And maybe a masochist!

Horusosiris and Bee (for your son), I've wished my entire life I wasn't an empath, trust me. Nothing. But. Trouble. Despite my shaman mamma's best efforts, teaching me about shielding and boundaries was a long, slow, and often unrewarding process and sometimes still unsuccessful!! Big hugs to anyone struggling with this!

Kim, take care of those twinges, EEK!

Waiting for update reports from Kate on Justin and FN2 from the appointment...keep us posted!

VVfer, yikes, glad there's no fracture but sorry for the pain...hope you get relief soon. Thanks for the DIY info!

ChelePA, hah...I hope your O2 isn't 77%, right?? Nothing like a wildly wrong reading.

Gotta run...hugs to all, all the way around! Stay fierce, my friends!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-22, 10:33 AM  
ChelePA

VVfer...thanks for the information. I'm all about having a restroom available at all times. Being on the road with Covid was crazy when you couldn't find one.

Kate...I wish my daughter would ask me to organize. She is messy Marvin. I have learned to close her bedroom door because I am the complete opposite. Hoping Justin is continuing to do well. Keep us updated on his appointment.

Kim...I know what you mean about wanting the right workout when feeling down. Peloton has so many.

Nathalie...sometimes shorter workouts are just enough to really feel it the next day especially if using heavier weights.

Cataddict...really hoping you get some answers. I worry too because I still have the burning pain in my leg besides the nerve damage. I think it's from the hardware and I am not sure it will ever go away. He said it could be rubbing and the only solution is surgery. But that becomes complicated because titanium screws really embed themselves into the bone and aren't easily removed.

Bee, kittybug, horusosiris...being an empath definitely has its pros and cons. I am sorry that you all (and Bee's son) struggle with the intense emotions especially these days. 24-hour news over and over doesn't help either. I definitely just get the highlights to stay current but that's enough for me.

FOLV...how's your March rotation going?

Manleym...any new Caroline workouts coming out? I know you really enjoy her.

Shadowboxing was on the schedule today so I subbed with Cathe's Rockout Knockout. I did the warm-up and decided to add on the kickboxing cardio. I used my trampoline with some success. Definitely had to slow down and change some of the moves. Then added on the remaining Peloton workouts. 10 minutes core. 20 minutes full body with a variety of weights. Finished with a 20 minute cycling class that was such a mood booster. Music was all self-love anthems. I think I might make it into a playlist to share with my daughter.
Old 03-30-22, 10:34 AM  
ChelePA

Just wanted to add that I am loving the cat profile pictures. Today I am on my computer and can see them really well
Old 03-30-22, 10:34 AM  
horusosiris

Hello All

I planned to walk today but it is cold. The temp is 35 today. Yesterday I did a random Lift with Cee leg workout. I completed her PPL program last week and enjoyed it. I love it that Cee does minimal talking because I prefer to get lost in my own thoughts! Maybe I will tackle a Cathe workout or do an HDM workout today.

My hand healing is at a standstill. Sometimes I feel that my hand progress is regressing but then maybe I am trying to use it too much? I have a follow up appointment in April and I will see what the surgeon says then.

Kitty- It is so tough! I know exactly what you are going through. That is the reason I have banned TV and social media.

Chel- some oxygen sensors can be notoriously inaccurate.

Kate and FN2 - sending good vibes your way!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-22, 05:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey All!,
Yes, Chele, we all watched the Uconn game together -- so exciting! And I loved the post-game interview with the coach when he said he wished both teams could move on. Going to be some great basketball this weekend!

Kim, thanks for describing the Daniel plan format -- it did sound interesting. A little different -- that's always fun.

kittybug, your mom is a shaman? That is so cool. My therapist talks about contracting and expanding -- contract to shield from all that feeling, and then expanding at times of growth, obviously. I am not doing a good job at all of describing it. When she talks to me about it, it makes so much sense.

Chele, you sure are getting a lot out of that Peloton subscription -- that is fantastic! I like the idea of a self-love anthem playlist for those times when you just need a boost.

horusosiris, I'm sorry your hand is still bothering you. I would guess that maybe you're doing too much too soon, but hopefully the surgeon can shed some light on it. Sorry you couldn't walk -- brrrr!!

Yesterday I had to take my car in early for service. I had planned to walk during it, and maybe sit in their lounge for some reading, but I realized my phone hadn't charged the previous night, so I walked to the mall for the apple story because I figured they would let me charge it there. In the meantime I found out the service was going to take way longer than I thought, so I got myself a ticket for the 11:30 showing of The Lost City. Well, I walked and walked waiting for the apple store to open. Turns out it didn't open until 11:00. So, I got a lot of walking in, not much charging, but then saw the movie. Fun to actually be in a theater again. Very silly movie but some laugh out loud moments.

Today I decided to go back to Cathe Live and I did #60, high intensity aerobic weight training. Wow, Kate, yes, my heart rate way way up there nearly the entire workout! It was not as fun as I was expecting, but a good workout. I felt great afterward -- lots of endorphins, I'm sure. I think Friday I'm going to do a lower body workout -- have to decide if it'll be Cathe or a Cee.

Oh! When I was at the mall yesterday I saw a "Rabbit Rabbit Tea Shop" and thought of all of you!
Old 03-30-22, 06:19 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

UG, Watulans, I should have taken today off because I didn't sleep at all last night and my legs felt like 800-pound bricks! I did the high/low intervals workout from Hardcore Extreme minus the Kickmax blasts because I just couldn't face them. Tomorrow is Hair Max and an extra rest day because I'm needing one.

Oh, ChelePA, I feel for you...my dear friend that is no longer with us had quite a bit of hardware in her legs (long story) and she had the exact same symptoms you've mentioned, so I always think of you both when you talk about the burning and other symptoms. I used to get so mad because her docs acted like it was all in her head and IT CLEARLY WAS NOT. I really hope you can get it figured out and resolved without more surgery...I cannot imagine the discomfort and yet you keep on moving. You're amazing!

Horusosiris, I also hope the surgeon can shed light for you. That has to be really frustrating.

Bee, no, my real mom isn't a shaman...my 'shaman mamma' is a lovely shaman woman who sort of took me under her many wing years ago and became a sort of spiritual (and otherwise) mentor to me, so I've always just called her that, hah!! Sorry, I should have clarified!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in