Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-22, 04:32 PM  
bfit

Proprioception?

Has anyone else had problems with proprioception and if so were you able to improve? I'm STILL (after 1 1/2 years) trying to come back from a broken foot that kept me entirely off of my feet for 6 months. I have a lot of problems doing anything that involves standing on one foot (even briefly). I can march in place like in Leslie Sansone workouts, but I can't do knee lifts, kicks. etc. I am getting PT (for the third time), and this physical therapist says my proprioception is not good. The way that I understand it proprioception is an aspect of balance, but my balance was fine before my injury. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am almost 65.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 04:45 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Proprioception is awareness of your body in space....a component of balance. Knowing where your feet and arms are and control of your body. Definitely body awareness.

I've done quite a bit of PT for my ankle injury...and now it seems I am nursing a knee injury (grrr...not as severe). I think it's great your PT is working on this with you.

I think any workout that has you moving through space without momentum would be helpful. Essentrics, tai chi, flow yoga, think controlled movement.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 07:53 PM  
Bluebelle

Essentrics has helped regain my balance back after surgery. Not the same as your issue but Essentrics does focus on balance and that could be helpful to you.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 08:20 PM  
rhbrand

I think Tai Chi would be very helpful with its slow movement that's precise moves.
Old 01-03-22, 10:23 PM  
bfit

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Is essentrics only Miranda Esmonde-White?
Old 01-03-22, 10:52 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Is essentrics only Miranda Esmonde-White?
No there are other instructors. There are a lot of different instructors on ETV and a few featured on dvds as well.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 10:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this is totally out there, but have you had your vision checked by an MD (ophthalmologist)?

CDC article:
https://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/res...oss-falls.html

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 11:55 AM  
bfit

Yes, I had my regular eye checkup after this problem started, and my vision was fine. This is something that started after the long layoff from my injury. It's like I'm "out of practice" balancing on my feet.
Old 01-04-22, 12:40 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Yes, I had my regular eye checkup after this problem started, and my vision was fine. This is something that started after the long layoff from my injury. It's like I'm "out of practice" balancing on my feet.
Did they check your ears? You could have something going on there and that could easily cause balance issues.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 12:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Jane Adams has a couple of DVDs that are great for balance issues. She starts with very basic moves using a chair for balance. She then progresses to more difficult balance exercises. She has previews on her site.

Balance & Strength Exercises for Seniors

Stronger Standing Yoga Balance:
7 Practices from Easy Balance Exercises to Classic Yoga Balances

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, proprioception