Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-22, 10:59 AM  
alisoncooks

Keeping fitness momentum in hard times…

I’m down 25-30 pounds over the last couple of years. It’s been a long, slow road but I’m finally gaining some momentum. (15+ of those pounds have been since I bought my rowing machine in January.) I’ve finally moved down a couple of sizes (still have a few more to go).

{{Don’t quote this paragraph}}
We’ve been having a bad few months with my youngest child’s mental health, and now we just found out that DH has cancer. (Many if you will remember that he had cancer 2014-2018ish. Now he has MDS and the only treatment for that is bone marrow transplant. We’re optimistic but this is serious stuff.)

Anyway, I’m stressing over everything. My monthly cycle has gone berserk and I’ve gained back a few pounds. I’m wondering if my workouts (rowing alternated with weights) are too much stress for my body right now. I’m curious about others’ experience — did tougher workouts help during hard times as a stress relief or was it better to back off? I gained so much weight last time DH was sick (stress, fast food, etc); I want to use that knowledge to prevent it this time!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 11:59 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Alison, I am so sorry about the stress you are having at this time and I'm sending you big hugs!

I want to congratulate you on your weight loss in the last couple of years--that is wonderful! It's easy to gain weight during stressful times. I have never lost weight based on what I did with my exercise but others have had good luck with that. Do the workouts that make you feel the best, no matter what they are.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 12:00 PM  
wendug

I'm sorry you're going through a tough time right now. Just be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up if you gain back a few pounds (congrats on the weight loss, BTW). Stress can do crazy things to our bodies so you might want to focus on more soothing workouts that put you in a better state of mind. Or, sometimes when I'm angry about something there's nothing like a good kickboxing workout to help burn off the angry energy. Just do what feels right, listen to your body, and be kind to yourself.
Old 04-11-22, 12:06 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I'm sorry you're going through a tough time right now. Just be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up if you gain back a few pounds (congrats on the weight loss, BTW). Stress can do crazy things to our bodies so you might want to focus on more soothing workouts that put you in a better state of mind. Or, sometimes when I'm angry about something there's nothing like a good kickboxing workout to help burn off the angry energy. Just do what feels right, listen to your body, and be kind to yourself.

100% this!! Prayers for your while family! Be kind to yourself through this.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 12:41 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
100% this!! Prayers for your while family! Be kind to yourself through this.
I agree with the above as well. I am so sorry. This is a very difficult time for you and your family but it does not mean you have to surrender yourself to this. Taking care of yourself is important too. You need that self care so you have the reserves to take care of others. I have been through some difficult times over the years and being kind to myself was all I could do for myself. I worked very hard at keeping a balance and not surrendering my life to the crises. But I completely understand your fear. You worked so hard to lose that weight and having a positive outlook on yourself is also very important. Do what you can. Somedays will be better than others. Your mind and self talk are your friends here. Keep the conversation positive. Remember the "I can" and "I will" thoughts.
Old 04-11-22, 01:25 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I went through something similar to a Bone Marrow transplant for cancer. Six years later I am doing well and back to vigorous exercise. It certainly was a life saver for me. Email or PM me if you have any questions or just want moral support.
Old 04-11-22, 01:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry you and your family are going through all this.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 02:04 PM  
Erica H.

I'm so sorry about what is going on. That is a lot of stress all at once for one person to bear. Sending big hugs to you.

What I've found with extreme stress is that my body is very clear on what it wants - sometimes any exercise is too much to handle and other times hard workouts help an enormous amount. But I agree with the advice to be kind to yourself now - you have so much on your shoulders.

Thinking of you and your family.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 02:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

so sorry about your DH. I will keep all of you in my prayers. please take care.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 04:05 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’m so sorry for all that you’re going through right now. I agree, give yourself some grace and don’t put more mental stress on. Maybe do the workouts you enjoy and feel good doing at this time. My heart goes out to you in these tough times. (((Big hug)))
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, stress reduction, stress relief