Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-10-21, 02:15 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Alison - Tell me more about your crush on the Premier League announcer. If your crush is based on voice alone, you crack me up. Aside from my Peloton/Hydrow crushes, I confess to a crush on a dude on TikTok who chops a lot of firewood for his followers. In my defense, he is very fit: D (*Is* that a defense?)
Daphne: Not voice alone—I’m not that far gone! He’s fun with the other announcers and fun on social media. He’s about my age and is a cutie. He’s the announcer in some Ted Lasso episodes if you watch that.

I did a run/walk Sunday (Lake Mercer), which was enjoyable. It was chilly out, which felt really good for a change. This is the last week of my pre-marathon training plan. I did every single workout on my plan, so I’m proud of that. The rest of this week on the plan is all hiking. I hope the leaves are still nice southwest of here—they’re pretty much past peak here.

Today at lunch I ran my 3-mile neighborhood route. I cut more than a minute off my pace from the last time I did this route, 2 weeks ago. I think I was really holding back that time, but it did fell good to improve. Also, I was distracted in my head from a question my boss asked in a meeting right before lunch—when’s the last time you told someone no, and how did you do it? And telling my kids no you can’t do that or my husband no, I won’t watch that western don’t count. I couldn’t give an answer, so I thought about it the whole run. It was a great distraction from wanting to slow down. I still don’t have an answer, but I also don’t feel like I’m doing things outside work that I don’t want to. The things at work are all part of my job, so I can’t really say no. I sure don’t want to write the annual report, but I can’t say no to that and keep my job.

And now for the latest Bradley class update: I did the country ride from last weekend, which was fun. I’m not a fan of much new country, but I like 80s and 90s stuff, which he played. Denis is the master of 90s country playlists, but Bradley was good. I also did a Bradley low-impact Disney ride from this summer and a HIIT ride from last week. Both were excellent.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 12:29 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
The things at work are all part of my job, so I can’t really say no. I sure don’t want to write the annual report, but I can’t say no to that and keep my job.
YES, THIS, ALL OF THIS. You clinched it with the annual report. I periodically go through an exercise of how to do less and I fail this exercise repeatedly.

Vannie - Yes, I have been basically doing a run, a ride and a row almost every day for the 3 months since the bike was delivered. I'm not recommending this approach, it just evolved because I love all three activities and have a hard time picking one to skip. (See my comment above to Alison. It's a repeating pattern in my life.) Anyway, all the workouts go great for a while and then, of course, one day I am exhausted and need a day or two to recharge. I try to do more walking and less running and sometimes I even succeed.

Back later.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 12:20 AM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday I was in the kitchen most of the day so no workouts. Today I struggled to find energy for anything. I folded some laundry but that was pretty much it for housework. I did do a Halloween Zumba warmup, Jill Miller's YTU hips and butt floor massage, Caroline Jordan 15-min Glute Activation workout, and a 20 min Fightmaster Halloween yoga practice.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 10:15 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I’m back from my super-fun hiking weekend. Thursday was a 4-mile hike with a very hard uphill .5 mile rock scramble. I was pleasantly surprised on how well I did with it—I guess the box jumps are working. Friday was an 8-mile hike on the Appalachian Trail to the iconic ledge (on the VA AT license plates) McAfee Knob. I’ve wanted to go there for so long, and it didn’t disappoint. Saturday was 4 miles to Crabtree Falls, which was the highest falls I’ve ever seen in-person. It just kept going!

Today kicks off the 18-week Higdon novice marathon training program. I’ll see how this goes the first few weeks and decide if I’m sticking with the full or changing to the half. I know I *can* do it, but I don’t know if I want to commit to those long runs in February.
Old 11-15-21, 03:00 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - Crabtree Falls is on my bucket list! (I went to school in Charlottesville, not that far away.) It sounds like a great trip. Box jumps sound like they are really working for you. Cycling centuries probably builds really strong legs and endurance too. I'm very eager to see how your Higdon training goes. You've got a really solid foundation, that's for sure.

Vannie - Your glutes should feel like individual queens after the workouts you mentioned. They deserve to be pampered!

Pratima - Hope you're reveling in the rest of the country's complaints about switching the clocks while all you Arizonans just smirk. You've rolled off my ("quick reply") page, but IIRC, you are planning to run a race soon? Or maybe that's just me and my wishful thinking. Hope you're doing well despite your dad's declining health. It's hard.

Me - I got my spirit recharged this weekend. It was wonderful. Here's why:
WONDERFUL WORKOUTS:
  • I FINALLY got together with Debbie for a long-awaited outdoor scenic run on Sunday. I hadn't seen her since (checks text message history) August! This was the perfect weekend for it with true fall morning temperatures in the 30s, sunshine sparkling off the lake waters and orange, red and yellow leaves everywhere. But the best part was just chatting with her. Both of us have been dealing with family medical issues for a while, but I think things have turned the corner for both of us. Anyway, we did run/walk for 4 miles and then just plain walked the next 4 miles. I had to stop and pet a lot of dogs.
  • A live "World Diabetes Day" row with Sera Moon. It was a 15-minute sweat on the Charles River and I loved how she spoke about her father and had us dedicated the harder intervals in honor of different people. The one that got to me (besides the one for her dad, kleenex alert) was the interval in honor of the caretakers. My wattage shot WAY up on that one. Apparently there's a direct correlation between lots of emotion and lots of leg strength. I have loved just about every row they've released from Lucerne. (58 workouts including rows, Pilates, strength and yoga.) And also a big fan of all the DC-based rows (I've done 8 out of the 14, just a few to go.)
  • Loved the music on the latest "Sundays With Love" ride with Ally.

Other stuff:
  • I took some time off work on Friday and treated myself to a 60-minute massage. I really like this place but haven't been there since 2019 because of COVID. Now I am chastising myself for not doing sooner. So healing. I've saved a ton of money during COVID from not commuting, not buying new clothes (not gonna lie, I rarely even wear shoes anymore), cooking my own meals and vacationing in the off-season. Maybe I'll put some of those savings into a fund for a monthly massage.
  • I was updating my Peloton profile and, not sure what I did, but now my FTP zones are displayed on the screen even though I haven't taken an FTP test. No idea if they're accurate, but I stare at them like Alison stares at her Premier Soccer League announcer dude.
  • Jamie and every single 20-something woman in my orbit is obsessed with Taylor Swift's new RED. Gentlemen, watch your steps. Apparently women are not putting up with ANY of your crap anymore.
Onward and upward, let's all make it a great workout week.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-16-21, 06:54 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Alison - Crabtree Falls is on my bucket list! (I went to school in Charlottesville, not that far away.) It sounds like a great trip. Box jumps sound like they are really working for you. Cycling centuries probably builds really strong legs and endurance too. I'm very eager to see how your Higdon training goes. You've got a really solid foundation, that's for sure.
[*]Jamie and every single 20-something woman in my orbit is obsessed with Taylor Swift's new RED. Gentlemen, watch your steps. Apparently women are not putting up with ANY of your crap anymore. [/LIST]Onward and upward, let's all make it a great workout week.
Daphne: Had to pop in to say 2 things: 1. We had lunch in Charlottesville after Crabtree Falls. I’ve only been there a handful of times, but it seems really fun. I love MarieBette Cafe. I’ve now been to the downtown one, which has lunches, and the less downtown one (sorry, don’t know the town at all) that has AMAZING pastries. 2. My Jessy is OBSESSED with Taylor’s Version of everything RED. And I mean OBSESSED as much as you do. It’s almost disturbing. Yes, men watch out! We aren’t even allowed to listen to John Mayer in Jessy’s presence cause of it.

This morning I did an easy Leanne 80s ride and then 30 min of Aditi’s Pilates on the Peloton app. I like her Pilates style. She doesn’t have too many classes on the app to choose from though. Hopefully they’ll do more soon. Lunchtime will be a 3-mile run. Most of the lunchtime runs this month are only 3 miles, so that’s very do-able. I’m not sure how I’ll handle it when they go up, but I’ll figure something out.
Old 11-17-21, 11:04 AM  
Vantreesta

What is RED? Is it her new song or does she have a book out or what?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 12:34 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Total drive-by post. I'm here. My dad and grandma are OK, though he gets some crazy idea every week (e.g., last week he told my brother he's selling everything and moving to India). DH's dad is actually in the hospital so he's flying out Friday to hopefully get him into some sort of assisted living.

I had surgery Thursday. I'd seen the surgeon for a suspected Spigelian hernia. I had a CT and it showed an umbilical hernia so her plan was to fix that and look around with the laporoscope for others. Well, she found no hernias and removed my appendix. I'm kind of baffled and my follow-up isn't until Dec. 1 so I'm going to call today and leave a message for the medical assistant about this.

Recovery has been kind of rough. I laid really low Thur-Sun. DH has gotten home from work the past three days and driven the kids to school. I had to pick them up though and driving Monday afternoon was AWFUL. I have a small incision near my bikini line (just above my c-section scar) and another at my belly button. I can't really bend over or use my core, so very limited activity and lots of sleep! I am working this week though.

Finally feel better today, and thank goodness since DH will be gone Fri-Mon.

I may be up for a walk this weekend. Going to test it all out with a little walk around Target this afternoon!

Hopefully I will return with more. In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through Alison's FB pictures!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 04:57 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
The new Red is her re-recording of her old album, her way and she has all the rights. I believe there’s much more drama there too, but that’s the basic description.

Pratima, big hugs to you!
Old 11-17-21, 05:20 PM  
Daphne M

Pratima - You had your APPENDIX REMOVED! HOLY COW! I never heard of going in for a hernia and coming out with an appendectomy. I hope your family waits on you hand and foot, although you strike me as the kind that insists on being up and active as quickly as possible. I hope the trip to Target worked out okay.

Alison - I never heard of MarieBette until you wrote this. Now I'm planning a daytrip to Charlottesville with Jamie and one of her friends just so we can go to MarieBette. Hilarious. Thanks for recommending Aditi's Pilates. I really like the Hydrow Pilates classes with Christie and have been sticking to those now I have got more choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Taylor re-recorded new versions of all the songs on her original Red album and began dropping the new "Taylor's version" of the songs last Friday.

She is a mastermind. Taylor outwitted the music industry villain who had purchased the rights to her music with a workaround that allowed her to re-record and re-release her own albums so that she still retains some control over her own music. And then because she really is brilliant, she is everywhere on social and mainstream media, has a partnership with Starbucks, is on SNL, etc etc. She's phenomenal and I applaud her. But, just my opinion, but I'm not thrilled with the way her way-too-old-to-be-dating-a 20-year old jerk boyfriends (cough cough John Mayer, Jake Gyllenhaal) have become the target of a vengeful mob. They deserved to get roasted in her songs and to have to reflect on their thoughtless and selfish behavior, but standing someone up or not holding their hand in public doesn't forfeit their right to live, for heavens sakes. (This is where my view diverges from my daughter's. She says, let 'em burn, they deserve it!)
Breast Cancer Survivor